Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Implementing the National Guard

The governor is able to implement the National Guard in times of crisis.

I couldn't think of a better crisis than the one that Detroit is going through.

With the city police under a federal consent agreement still, and the city government unable to pay its cops, let alone provide fire and emergency medical services to its own citizens. I'm pretty sure that the National Guard could be used in the City of Detroit.

Since the governor will appoint an Emergency Financial Manager, and would be grandfathered into the new EM law, then the governor should take the necessary measures to make sure that Detroit is a safer city when the EM is done with his job.

The implementation of the National Guard would be different than 1967. However, at this point, I believe it is necessary that we call in all the help we can get.

The FSA isn't a federal consent agreement.

Teh Federal Government has nothing to do with the city of Detroit's and the state of Michigan's "binding" Consent Agreement.

As for the national guard, we've gone through this hundreds of times. Guardsman are trained to abide by militaery law, not civilian law. The long and short of it? Bad idea.

313, there is more than 1 consent agreement in place right now. The DPD has been operating under one for over a decade now. B. Napolean might just get elected and be charged with getting the DPD out of the very same consent agreement his "leadership" got us into. SMH

National Guard isn't going to do normal police work. They aren't trained for it.
    Mickey Lolich had the donut eating down but those guys don't do the patrols, paper work etc.

so you are saying that after Snyder appoints a quasi dictator to lead/rule Detroit that we should station federal soldiers to do the job of police? WHAT COULD POSSIBLY GO WRONG? I'm sure you mean well and I my self see the benefit of an EM being appointed, but the truth is that putting an EM in power will cause enough trouble as is. implementing the national guard would be begging the people for a fight
    Last edited by louis; February-11-13 at 10:52 PM. Reason: grammer

GhettoHoodRat Guest

1) Clear out all land south of I-94 to Jefferson and from Eastern Market to Alter with the exception of Indian Village. The population is only around 60,000 and the majority are renters.
    2) Put in checkpoints into downtown and Midtown..this is legal! LA does it to spot drunk drivers..you have to even show your driver's license.
    3) Impose a curfew on the city for anyone under 21..
    4) Provide financial rewards to girls who go on monitored birth control. Make pregnancy termination free.

Good that EEV will be spared. Woe to the other cretins making up the rest of the entire East side!? *sarcasm* The just-and-the-unjust, er-uh victims of address I suppose? I've read this kind 'clear the land' cull-their-ranks talk on other sites... How is this really be done... where are the unfortunate ones moved too?

Government housing, where? Next door to you?

Who's funding such? And who's to paying for all of these um, 'free' Terminations. Perhaps we should ask the Chinese about that eh, 'solution'. They seem to have it down to a tidy, no-nonsense systemic program with little 'choice' in the matter -- so they'd know.

Covered everything?

Don't forget the 24/7 pole mounted bull horns and every-six block check points to verify if you have your appropriate 'paperwork' to proceed to er-um, the government sponsored work place or 'training facility'? Or to go to the grocery er' I mean government food subsidy centers every other week......

Per a prescribed number and ranking.

There's more I could say but I think I'll refrain.

Quote Originally Posted by GhettoHoodRat View Post
    1) Clear out all land south of I-94 to Jefferson and from Eastern Market to Alter with the exception of Indian Village. The population is only around 60,000 and the majority are renters.
    2) Put in checkpoints into downtown and Midtown..this is legal! LA does it to spot drunk drivers..you have to even show your driver's license.
    4) Provide financial rewards to girls who go on monitored birth control. Make pregnancy termination free.
    Last edited by Zacha341; February-12-13 at 07:26 AM.

At least nobody mentioned neutering all of the males......

Quote Originally Posted by 7miledog View Post
    313, there is more than 1 consent agreement in place right now. The DPD has been operating under one for over a decade now. B. Napolean might just get elected and be charged with getting the DPD out of the very same consent agreement his "leadership" got us into. SMH
    Do you mind posting a link to these other consent agreements?

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    Do you mind posting a link to these other consent agreements?
    He was speaking of the Consent decree between DPD and the DOJ. It was signed and agreed to under the Archer administration.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    At least nobody mentioned neutering all of the males......
    Neutering the females would be more effective.

Quote Originally Posted by GhettoHoodRat View Post
    Just to correct one portion of this in case you are serious.... In Michigan, DUI checkpoints are not allowed because they violate the state constitution. It's an unreasonable search compounded with a lack of probable cause for the stop.

In fact with the exception of #3...which still might fly...none of those proposals would pass constitutional muster.

cross post to "spot the cockpuncher"
    Last edited by bailey; February-12-13 at 11:58 AM.

We had checkpoints for a short period of time and this state had the guts to stop it. This isnt Nazi Germany. I have been to states that have these checkpoints and it is disgusting. This is the land of the free right?

Quote Originally Posted by kenp View Post
    We had checkpoints for a short period of time and this state had the guts to stop it. This isnt Nazi Germany. I have been to states that have these checkpoints and it is disgusting. This is the land of the free right?
    And home of the brave [[not so much anymore).

I do recall getting pulled over at random in Shelby Twp. back in the seventies. It was controversial back then too. I think they had to justify it as an "automotive safety check" to make it legal. I had a scary-looking BB gun in full view in the back seat but the officer looked it over and pretty much waved me on.

Quote Originally Posted by kenp View Post
    Okay, Mike Godwin.

Checkpoints I'm totally fine with. In fact, I have to go through one to get into my neighboring city across the Detroit River. THEN, I even have to go through one on the way BACK!

Checkpoints ok. Mass genocide, not ok.

Sending the National Guard to Detroit is almost, but not quite, as ridiculous as sending them to Iraq.
    Perhaps, though, the City Of Detroit could find a way to get reconstruction funds to accompany the deployment, as the Iraqis did.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobl View Post
    Sending the National Guard to Detroit is almost, but not quite, as ridiculous as sending them to Iraq.
    Perhaps, though, the City Of Detroit could find a way to get reconstruction funds to accompany the deployment, as the Iraqis did.
    Reconstruction funds would make this a serious consideration. Seriously, there's no reason guardsman could not be called up to do the sort of "recovery work" [[i.e. destroying vacant and open structures) like they do after a hurricane.