Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

i have been using cabs for the last three [[3) years because of car troubles. four weeks ago i needed a ride from lafayette & st. aubin. the cabbie who picked me up asked what i am used to paying for the ride...i told him the truth and he accepted and on we went. we got engrossed in conversation and we both realized that he missed the location and turned around and got me where i needed to go. he accepted the fare we agreed upon and i gave him a good tip and now i call his personal cell phone when i need a ride. IF A CABBIE WILL NOT TURN ON THE METER...STOP AND GET OUT and pay NOTHING!!! You are the customer! they have learned that they can take advantage of you. They can't force you to pay if you have only traveled a 1/4 mile without the meter running. Learn your rights and try to have them FORCE the law on you! THEY will learn soon that you can't be taken advantage of. Stand your ground or be buried in it!!!

Wow. First time I'd even see this thread, though it is totally consistent with my cab experience in the city.

And this is why I UberX.

Quote Originally Posted by CLAUDE G View Post
    I had one charge me $20 from Greek town to Comerica Park to get my car at 3AM.

I was clearly ripped off, but way better to pay $20 then get robbed.
    Due to the time situation, you sort of did the right thing... but had I been in your shoes, my friends and I make sure that no one travels the downtown streets alone at night in our group... you should have had a friend shuttle you back to your car. Leaving friends unattended like that is a red flag... you shouldn't have been left like that!

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Due to the time situation, you sort of did the right thing... but had I been in your shoes, my friends and I make sure that no one travels the downtown streets alone at night in our group... you should have had a friend shuttle you back to your car. Leaving friends unattended like that is a red flag... you shouldn't have been left like that!
    The thieves are trying to isolate you,run away!!!!!!!

There's another poster here that has told me if they don't run the meter, he offers up what he knows the fare should be AFTER he gets to his destination. If they have a problem with that, he takes a pic of their license, and their cab with the license number on his way out. He also leaves the door open.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffvezina View Post
    My wife and I decided to leave the Wings game early on December 23rd. We took a cab company called cash hash cab. The driver was a bald middle aged man with an accent. He told us it would be $15 to take us to Hard Rock. As we were driving, I asked him why it was so much. He shouted at me that we were told how much it was before we took the cab. A little while later, I asked him why the meter was not running. He became irate and told us he was sick of us arguing with him. He then stopped on the left side of the street and ordered us out of his cab. He said he didn't need our f'in money. We had to walk from there to the Hard Rock. He refused to take us to the curb, but instead made us get out near the median. This was the worst experience I have ever had in a cab. I wish I knew where to complain. I took a picture with my phone of his license but it is hard to see. Any idea on taking this further?
    Uh, how about you decline to get in a cab that is going to cost you $15 to go half a mile? Googlemaps suggests you walk that distance. He had an accent? The horror.

How often do you people get ripped off on a daily basis, I wonder?

This isn't a Detroit thing. This is a world thing. You have to have some street smarts if you don't want to be a sucker.
    Last edited by poobert; December-28-13 at 01:07 PM.

What I don't understand is why not take the People Mover? For 2 people it only costs $1.50, and in 10 minutes you would be at the Cadillac Center Station, just 2 minutes from Hard Rock...

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    What I don't understand is why not take the People Mover? For 2 people it only costs $1.50, and in 10 minutes you would be at the Cadillac Center Station, just 2 minutes from Hard Rock...
    It's a square peg and round hole situation that affects a scary amount of people around here.

"Who can I complain to about this $15 cab ride I agreed to instead of walking off those burgers or taking a $1.50 train? Connect the Lodge to I-375 while you're at it. Accommodate me, damn you!"

Quote Originally Posted by poobert View Post
    Uh, how about you decline to get in a cab that is going to cost you $15 to go half a mile? Googlemaps suggests you walk that distance. He had an accent? The horror.

How often do you people get ripped off on a daily basis, I wonder?

This isn't a Detroit thing. This is a world thing. You have to have some street smarts if you don't want to be a sucker.
    Maybe they don't like walking outside in the cold. Maybe the sidewalks were iced over. If that couple wanted to take a cab and pay an honest rate for the ride then that's their business.

I've used cabs once in a while and have the mobile number of a cab driver I favor who's honest and doesn't rip me off and I always asked for a meter estimate of the ride before proceeding in transpo in a cab.

IMO there seems to be a decidedly higher 'downtown' cab short-distance fee that I avoid if at all possible.

He told us it would be $15 to take us to Hard Rock. As we were driving, I asked him why it was so much.
    He told you the outrageously inflated price up front and you still kept going? I'm with the cabbie on this one.

Quote Originally Posted by CLAUDE G View Post
    I had one charge me $20 from Greek town to Comerica Park to get my car at 3AM.

I was clearly ripped off, but way better to pay $20 then get robbed.
    I hate to be the one to break it to you, but you did get robbed. The ride should be $6 with tip.

Yep. That is for certain the 'captive audience rate'. I can get a cab to metro airport for under $35 [[from Midtown Area all the way to Romulus, MI)... $15 to drive around downtown? RIP OFF DELUXE!
    Last edited by Zacha341; December-29-13 at 03:35 PM.

I did not post here to be second guessed by anyone. I have traveled the country and Europe and most people are honest. I was posting as a warning to others and advice on how to file a complaint. I got within two block of my destination and did not pay anything. Who is the sucker?

We don't typically take the People Mover since after the Wings game the line is really long. I really did not even think about it. I never had an issue with any cabs in NYC. I expect to pay more for a short ride fare, but do not expect to be yelled at and left in the middle of the street by a lowlife cabbie.

Obviously you know nothing about me. Quite honestly, I think the cabbie had a higher IQ than you. He let us out two blocks from Hard Rock and we did not pay anything. Not too bright but a brighter bulb than you.

Thanks for posting. It is a problem that needs to be addressed.

...I was posting as a warning to others and advice on how to file a complaint. I got within two block of my destination and did not pay anything. Who is the sucker?

I did not post here to be second guessed by anyone. I have traveled the country and Europe and most people are honest. I was posting as a warning to others and advice on how to file a complaint. I got within two block of my destination and did not pay anything. Who is the sucker?
    You didn't realize that this is www.secondguessed.com, huh?

I have traveled the country and Europe and most people are honest.
    I'm glad you're so well traveled. When you travel as much as you do, sometimes you come across a dick cab driver.

I expect to pay more for a short ride fare, but do not expect to be yelled at and left in the middle of the street by a lowlife cabbie.
    I expect a person to immediately protest/negotiate a better rate/ask to be let out of the cab when a cabbie demands 4x or 5x the going rate for a ride but I guess sometimes our expectations aren't met.

He let us out two blocks from Hard Rock and we did not pay anything.
    I know, you mentioned that in your first post. You sound pretty proud of how you really got one over on that accented driver. Maybe that was your plan all along so that's pretty brilliant.

Obviously you know nothing about me.
    I don't want to know anyone who gets off on swindling bald, middle aged cabbies out of four block fares. Who knows who you're planning on conning next so I'll count that as an advantage for me.

Quite honestly, I think the cabbie had a higher IQ than you....Not too bright but a brighter bulb than you.
    That's true, I'm dog shit stupid. On the plus side, I've never had a cabbie tell me it's $15 for a six block ride and tacitly agree to that price for 2/3 of the ride.

What do you think it is about your outward appearance that would make a cabbie look at you and think, "I bet I can gouge the shit out of this guy."?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2