Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Quote Originally Posted by guito13 View Post
    Agreed. My guns are unloaded & locked, ammo kept seperate, and certain guns are kept in a safe. But Ill be damned if I cant have means to protect my family.
    and absolutely NO ONE is saying you can't

Quote Originally Posted by rb336 View Post
    Someone on her basically was proposing that you couldnt own a gun if ANYONE in your home was legally unable to own a gun. That essentially narrows it down to single people....

That was I, and I would accept gun buyers declaring who is in their household and agreeing to follow laws that require certain steps to prevent those not eligible to own guns from any possible access to the guns in firing order with ammo. Also they must be held accountable if their systems fail and the ineligible resident gets the gun and does harm with it.

Quote Originally Posted by gazhekwe View Post
    That was I, and I would accept gun buyers declaring who is in their household and agreeing to follow laws that require certain steps to prevent those not eligible to own guns from any possible access to the guns in firing order with ammo. Also they must be held accountable if their systems fail and the ineligible resident gets the gun and does harm with it.
    I think that if you own a weapon and undertake REASONABLE measures to ensure that it is only accessable to people who SHOULD have access to it then you have done your duty. I have no desire to let ANYONE know who lives in my household [[I have to do that on my taxes already). As seen recently, whatever information I give out MAY become public & published.

Quote Originally Posted by rb336 View Post
    I haven't heard our President say that he's OK with private gun ownership in clear terms. I'm open to hearing it. Did I miss this, I ask sincerely.

who ever said killing a person is srs business is right but is it for everybody? This is why we have prisons. There are those who are indifferent and others that like it.

A measure of ambiguity and incrementalism is not uncommon in these areas of policy...

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post
    I haven't heard our President say that he's OK with private gun ownership in clear terms. I'm open to hearing it. Did I miss this, I ask sincerely.
    Last edited by Zacha341; February-06-13 at 12:36 PM.

These do happen [[With the exception of the gun show loophole, which I am open to closing)

This already is law.

The general public cannot buy military grade weapons, never could. The "AR" rifles you see are the same as my hunting rifles but they are simply "tricked out" to look cooler but they all function the same. NO difference.
    That just isn't true. The only difference between Retail and military AR-15s and AK-47's are that they don't fire in burst or full-auto modes.

Quote Originally Posted by ejames01 View Post
    That just isn't true. The only difference between Retail and military AR-15s and AK-47's are that they don't fire in burst or full-auto modes.

What isn't true? I said that that the MAIN difference between military and non-military is the ability to fire in burst and full auto. All guns pretty much function the same [[as far as the internal mechanics), military or not. The proposed legislation just goes after the "Scary" looking weapons but it leaves out a TON of weapons that shoot and behave just the same.

What isn't true? I said that that the MAIN difference between military and non-military is the ability to fire in burst and full auto. All guns pretty much function the same [[as far as the internal mechanics), military or not. The proposed legislation just goes after the "Scary" looking weapons but it leaves out a TON of weapons that shoot and behave just the same.
    Sorry....I replied to your original post. The issue was cleared up later in the thread.

Anyways, it is sad that the teens were hurt and killed in this event but they thought the older gentleman was an easy target to them, although they may have known about his weapon and wanted to take it from him. Either way, they cowardly went after a 70 year old man who proved himself tight and fit enough to defend himself. The fact that he was escrting folks to the parking lot also is telling of his character. This reminds me of the other senior man in the church parking lot who was killed last year. He was there to protect church property and occupants and was not so lucky, sadly.

In otherwords you want a central database of who owns what and who lives there. And what happens when a FOIA is filed by a person or group who does not like gun ownership and names and addresses are published or released ?? Also if you use a gun for any reason expect to be sued.
    Last edited by lpg; February-06-13 at 02:53 PM. Reason: adding materiel

if you use a gun for any reason expect to be sued.

If you hurt someone with your gun, you are open to all forms of retribution, civil and criminal, right now. If the person who hurt someone used your gun, then you should be open to punitive action as well.

if you use a gun for any reason expect to be sued.

If you hurt someone with your gun, you are open to all forms of retribution, civil and criminal, right now. If the person who hurt someone used your gun, then you should be open to punitive action as well.
    You most likely would be involved in the lawsuit anyway and criminal action if you were careless.

Quote Originally Posted by 4V4DMD View Post
    No mention of the teens' gun in any of the recent articles. Looks like these kids may have bluffed having a gun.
    Or... during the confusion someone else picked it up...

Quote Originally Posted by Vic01 View Post
    Or... during the confusion someone else picked it up...
    But does it really matter? I challenge the idea that the actual presence of a gun matters. This is robbery. The victim[[s) weren't prepared for an attack. The armed violence rate in Detroit is known to be high. Real gun. Shadow of your jacked. Sound of metal. Whatever. When you're being robbed, you have to be thinking about the likelihood that you may be shot and killed. You make a quick decision that you and your charges may be dead soon. Your gut tells you 'gun'. You want to stay alive. Split-second decision.

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post
    But does it really matter? I challenge the idea that the actual presence of a gun matters. This is robbery. The victim[[s) weren't prepared for an attack. The armed violence rate in Detroit is known to be high. Real gun. Shadow of your jacked. Sound of metal. Whatever. When you're being robbed, you have to be thinking about the likelihood that you may be shot and killed. You make a quick decision that you and your charges may be dead soon. Your gut tells you 'gun'. You want to stay alive. Split-second decision.
    I agree. This isn't Oprah where all involved sit around dicussing the possibilities and "what ifs" of the situation @ hand. In a split second the outcome of this unfortunate incident could have been totally different.

I wanted to wait until the smoke cleared before I said anything. There will be no charges against the coach in the shooting. Ms Worthy said the coach was a victim and it was a case of lawful self defense. While I feel bad for the kids and there families that were involved in this case I wish in the future before these Moms start getting on camera and demanding answers and saying" my baby is a good boy , I never had any problems out of him" that they think about how all these excuses that are flying in the face of the facts are a reflection of their parenting skills. http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...xt|FRONTPAGE|s

UPDATE TO STORY!

Teen accused in attempted robbery on Martin Luther King basketball coach appears in Detroit court

He and his guardian were informed that he is being charged with armed robbery and assault with intent to rob while armed. The Wayne County Prosecutor wants to charge him as an adult. That means he could face life in prison

Murder, rape, armed robbery all need harsh sentences. The thugs in Detroit and elsewhere need to have a strong message sent to them that people are sick and tired of the gun violence and are not going to put up with it any longer. Either by protecting themselves [[if that means shooting the robber, so be it), and have judges who do their jobs and put them away.

Obviously, parents are not doing their jobs with these thugs. The two Warren men who were threatening cops on Facebook and elsewhere had a stash of weapons at their homes...where the hell were the older adults, didn't they see this stuff?

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    UPDATE TO STORY!

Teen accused in attempted robbery on Martin Luther King basketball coach appears in Detroit court

He and his guardian were informed that he is being charged with armed robbery and assault with intent to rob while armed. The Wayne County Prosecutor wants to charge him as an adult. That means he could face life in prison
    Sounds like a reasonable plan.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4