Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeg View Post
    As someone recently answered when questioned about the circumstances surrounding the death of her employee, "What difference at this point does it make?"
    The "it" Hillary was referring to were Susan Rice's remarks on the Sunday talk shows, not the deaths of the four Americans. Read or listen to the entire quote, not the out of context bits and pieces that you heard from Sean Hannity or Rush Limbaugh. And if Congress really wants to know why Susan Rice said what she said, why don't they call her in and ask her?

But I digress...

Some years ago, I read an interesting take on the Malice Green case in a book called "Racial Situations" by John Hartigan. The book examined the lives of white people who lived in three different Detroit neighborhoods in the early 1990s. One of these neighborhoods was Briggs [[now called North Corktown), which is adjacent to the neighborhood where Malice Green was killed. Several of the poor Appalachian whites Hartigan interviewed had had run-ins with Budzyn and Nevers. They never doubted that the police officers were guilty of murdering Malice Green.

Quote Originally Posted by Django View Post
    You beat me to it.

Also, I believe the Spike Lee version of Malcom X came years after the Green murder.
    I just went and looked it up. The film was released in 1992, the same year Malice Green was killed.

I never heard anything about Malcolm X being showed and it sounds like one of those rumors that get repeated and repeated and eventually gets repeated as fact and here is why. Malcolm X was released in November of 1992, the same month the incident happened, the trial started in June 1993, back then I don't remember movies being available on video cassette in 7-8 months after a theatrical release date. I could be wrong though but I'm going try and find out.

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post
    I'm also quite sure that people have little idea of the risk to officers of the drug war.
    That would be a nice sympathy ploy if these weren't grown men who had a career choice and weren't forced to do something horrible.

Here is the Appeal info. It recounts several reasons why both convictions were overturned.

http://caselaw.findlaw.com/mi-suprem...t/1177921.html

yes, the film was shown, but only to the Budzyen jury. Remember, they were tried together, but had separate juries. It is an interesting read. The conflicting corner reports, the coroner who was fired for saying he was pressured into his results ...

by the way, the coroner sued, won $2.4 million for wrongful dismissal. The reason the City gave for firing him was that his work was shoddy and he was mentally unbalanced.

A lot of emotion in this thread, the same stuff repeated over and over.
    We have to move forward. There were over 400 murders in Detroit last year, why dont we concentrate on that.

Quote Originally Posted by kenp View Post
    A lot of emotion in this thread, the same stuff repeated over and over.
    We have to move forward. There were over 400 murders in Detroit last year, why dont we concentrate on that.
    I think that attitudes towards those with different opinions can be improved by discussion. Beats beatings. This is part of moving forward.

3 pages in and not ONE person has brought up this angle?

The "War on Drugs" has been a monumental failure. This is a perfect example on how the laws that make drugs illegal do more harm than the actual drugs themselves. Malice Green and the officers involved all had their lives destroyed one way or another because of this incident. Was a little rock of crack worth it?

While you don't want to blame the police for "doing their job", you can't help but think what a waste of all lives involved this was. With all the actual real crime like arson and murder in the city, why were the police so concerned over some crackhead walking down the street on a possession charge?

I know a lot of people with drug problems and I'm sure Malice Green wasn't a saint or a scholar. At the same time, when you criminalize things that aren't real crimes, you still create real criminals. Incidents like this are just unfortunate blow-back of dumb policies. I have zero respect for Malice Green, but if I had to choose, I'd take his side.

If I was on the jury I would have found those officers guilty as well, and I'm white.

RIP Larry.
    I'm sure since Sunday you truly know exactly how guilty or not guilty you really were.

Was he Starsky or Hutch?

I haven't heard anyone claim that Green was a saint.[/QUOTE]

The folks who made a shrine to him might disagree.

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...text|FRONTPAGE

The Malice Green mural is gone.

Mourn/celebrate how you see fit.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    I wonder why Malice didn't just give it up? You've got to be pretty jacked to loose your life over a gram of cheap coke.
    Quote Originally Posted by MSUguy View Post
    Why didn't they just stop beating him over the head with their flashlight?
    A-fricken-men.

Ding Dong the wicked cop is DEAD! Let God judge his soul.

Quote Originally Posted by brizee View Post
    http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...text|FRONTPAGE

The Malice Green mural is gone.

Mourn/celebrate how you see fit.

love the statement from the artist to the effect of "i wish the green family had cared enough to preserve the mural"

sorry... they are off enjoying the bounty of their millions in lawsuit winnings and could care less about a mural....

The ghetto monument honoring a drug dealer is finally gone.

now he can paint a real monument to green.
    no longer mere grafiti, a memorial of police brutality.

Quote Originally Posted by compn View Post
    now he can paint a real monument to green.
    no longer mere grafiti, a memorial of police brutality.
    I would make Malice's likeness even more like Jesus. Maybe add a crown of thorns and a crucifix. With a tribute slogan. How about something like "Sell drugs to residents and kids, destroy the neighborhood , NO police reprecussions!" REALLY make him a hero for all to see.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3