Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

I feel that the police should put paranoid thoughts in the minds of those who are walking or riding their bicycles on the streets at night while wearing their hoods over there heads. A person should not get upset when a flashlight is shined on them while walking down the street at 3am

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    There isn't a high rate of crime in New York either.
    Birmingham has a large white percentage population; low crime rate and no S and F policy. New York has a lower percentage of white population; relatively low crime rate but has a S and F policy. Detroit has a low percentage of white population; a high rate of crime and no S and F policy. Can you see a trend forming here?
    Last edited by coracle; April-05-13 at 06:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by compn View Post
    stop and frisk? really? thats the best you can come up with?

if detroit had stop and frisk, the criminal element would do what it does now. drive and not walk around to be 'stopped and frisked'. you cant frisk someone in a car.

stop and frisk is responsible for 50,000 marijuana arrests in new york, per year.
    you might say 'but detroit is decrim now!' yeah, except for 'public use'.
    which is what the cops cite you for after they order you to empty your pockets, like they do in new york. which also has decrim laws on marijuana.
    one of the most racist laws i can think of.

didnt bing say a majority of the murders/crime happens in the residential areas?
    so you're going to stop and frisk people walking around thier own houses ?
    you'd send police to patrol residential areas ?

http://news.yahoo.com/detroit-report...192557311.html

YOU WANT TO STOP THE MURDERS IN DETROIT?
    LEGALIZE, REGULATE, AND SELL THE MARIJUANA IN STORES LIKE ALCOHOL.

everything else is bullshit. enjoy your war on drugs.
    "you dont see budweiser and miller having shootouts in the street..."
    Nice try but people would still be shooting each other over arguments related to coke, meth, heroin and pills. Legalizing pot [[which is fine with me) probably doesn't make a dent in the homicide rate.

Stop and frisk is already de facto in Detroit. I recently decided to try a new bus rout to see if it got me to work quicker. Big mistake. I was stopped at Gratiot near Warren waiting for the Crosstown, and told that a white man had no good reason to be in that area at that time of morning [[5:30am). Of course I missed my bus while explaining to two white officers where I worked and etc. From now on it's Gratiot to Woodward and Woodward to work.

Quote Originally Posted by menckensghost View Post
    Stop and frisk is already de facto in Detroit. I recently decided to try a new bus rout to see if it got me to work quicker. Big mistake. I was stopped at Gratiot near Warren waiting for the Crosstown, and told that a white man had no good reason to be in that area at that time of morning [[5:30am). Of course I missed my bus while explaining to two white officers where I worked and etc. From now on it's Gratiot to Woodward and Woodward to work.
    Did you ask them why they stopped you? If they stopped you for no reason whatsoever, your compliance was voluntary -- and probably wise. Small price to pay for civilization. But you should feel free to complain. They need to believe that you are about to commit a crime. It can't just be because you are wearing a cap or because you're white or black or green. If it is, then it is an unacceptable violation of your rights.

Police can already stop & frisk you if they think you are about to commit a crime. What NYPD is doing is being just a little bit more aggressive in using the existing laws. This does not violate your civil rights if done by the rules.

A law like that has disaster written all over it. I don't care what any supposed 'study' shows. I don't have anything to prove this, but my guess is any study that 'proves' this is having a positive effect is a flawed study. You can do all kinds of creative things with statistics to 'prove' something.

Quote Originally Posted by SMRJim View Post
    A law like that has disaster written all over it. I don't care what any supposed 'study' shows. I don't have anything to prove this, but my guess is any study that 'proves' this is having a positive effect is a flawed study. You can do all kinds of creative things with statistics to 'prove' something.
    No study needed. The results speak for itself. Right here from the August 2012 article critical of the policy posted above....
    nearly all of whom were innocent of any crime, were stopped nearly 700,000 times last year.
    So in 2011, 700,000 were stopped.
    Despite the police claims that the stops keep criminals and weapons off the streets, only about 6 percent of stops lead to arrests, and last year, only one in every 879 stops turned up a gun.

6% of 700,000 = 42,000 arrests of people for cause
    1 in 879 stop turned up gun = 796 illegal guns removed from the hands of citizens.

Not a study. Just amazing facts about how much safety NYC is today because they can act against criminals while protecting civil rights.

Quote Originally Posted by ElbertHanks View Post
    Nice try but people would still be shooting each other over arguments related to coke, meth, heroin and pills. Legalizing pot [[which is fine with me) probably doesn't make a dent in the homicide rate.
    pot is the #1 illegal drug in the usa.
    gangs, drug dealers, organized crime, mexican cartels all rely on its profits to fund the other drugs + guns.
    make pot legal and watch the crime drop, just like after prohibition of alcohol was repealed. no more al capone!

Quote Originally Posted by WaCoTS View Post
    ...i doubt this Wesley Mouch guy has had a real encounter with DPD, or for that matter, Highland Park PD, who are notorious for roughing up whoever they feel like.

once you or your friends get worked over by the fists and boots of the gang in blue for "probable cause," you might just change your tune on this, so until then dont fucking come to me talkin about "stop and frisk" shit being a "good idea"
    I have been stopped and frisked by DPD. It wasn't done perfectly, but it was pretty good. I was in a bad place. They were wrong about me. I wasn't mistreated. Mistreatment is unacceptable. But the existence of imperfection doesn't change the resident's need for good, professional policing, does it?

I understand how those who have been victimized by police may feel. I also hope we can all understand how those caught in an unsafe neighborhood might appreciate S&F -- even we don't.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3