Quote Originally Posted by casscorridor View Post
There used to be an Indian restaurant on Hancock, between Woodward and Cass, behind the current ARC office and retail shop, the latter which used to be an Indian market. There was also Sizzle & Spice, which was an Indian restaurant downtown on Monroe across from Compuware garage.

There is still Little Asia mart on 3rd [[Anthony Wayne Dr) on Wayne State's campus... great place for spices, rice and beans, pre-packaged food, samosas, and even some fresh produce. I haven't been over in that area for a bit, is the Indian Restaurant on the same block still there? There is also International Mini-Cafe, which has some Indian dishes, and totally overlooked because of its fairly hidden location, and only being open for weekday lunch.

I usually go to Aladdin's in Hamtramck, super cheap and yummy, and there are several other restaurants and markets in that vicinity. The Bangladeshi neighborhood straddles Hamtramck and Detroit proper. Aladdin's is in Hamtramck proper but walk across the street and you are back in the city of Detroit.

My guess is that the greater Midtown/Downtown area is ripe for a full service Indian restaurant, in addition to many other varieties of cuisine.
The restaurant you are talking about was American Masala. It was located behind the police station on Woodward and Hancock. The food was ok but I never went back.