Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Brains View Post

I don't want to encourage violence, but if someone here is at the Packard and sees this bus floating around outside, please throw a brick at it.
    Eastside Al

I wish there was some way to make sure these assholes, and all of their customers, get arrested for their little suburbanite 'trespassing and gawking' tour [[while staying safely isolated from those scary dark people who, you know, live here and stuff). Truly revolting on every level.

Two of the best quotes of the year and it is only mid-January!

Default Or........

Quote Originally Posted by Not In MI View Post
    I think a more appropriate name for this tour should be "Explore what 50 Plus Years of a Majority Democrat / Pro-Union / High - Taxes / Anti - Business Government Base Will Get You"
    Or.....
    "Explore what 50 Plus Years of Automotive Management Mistakes / Republican Neglect / Elitist Lansing Government Base Will Get You."

I appreciate that. I'm actually working on story about these guys right now. There's no way any of it is legal. Feel free to kick me any story ideas. Appreciate it.

Quote Originally Posted by WaCoTS View Post
    i think that Detroiturbex.com site also offers guided abandoned blg tours apparently for profit...?
    Not big tours. Small. It's a one man operation. And he doesn't provide transportation. You have to bring your own, you drive, and he rides along. Costs a little more than a spot on this bus for a full day. It's what he does for a living.

But he's brilliant. He takes you where you want to go if you already have an idea, and/or suggests locations based on your interests. Provides the back story and the history of what you are seeing. He spends hours a week at the library researching city history. He pointed me into the Palmer Park apartment district while we were passing by and I got a look at the magnificent architecture, all from the outside. Would have completely missed that had I been on my own. Worth every penny.

Damn! That's one scary looking bus. Is that to bully drivers out of it's path??

I have my questions about this one as well. Seems to be running on Meth.

ill start by saying i think the entire thing is stupid and i question the legality of it although the wording makes me think they received permission for the book tower?

i will also add that i know a few of the photographers who put this on and they ARE NOT racist suburbanites that many here would like to cast them as. they are photographers, some working professionally, who know the city well and put on different workshops for photographers. photographers, not just curious white people. the allure of these buildings for budding photographers is high and they are cashing in on it plain and simple. i dont agree with it and i certainly wont be attending but lets not paint everyone who isnt from detroit proper who visits the city to photograph it an asshole. my fascination with the city started at a young age and i began photographing it, including abandonments, and now im a resident and as big a supporter you will find. just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Király View Post
    Not big tours. Small. It's a one man operation. And he doesn't provide transportation. You have to bring your own, you drive, and he rides along. Costs a little more than a spot on this bus for a full day. It's what he does for a living.

But he's brilliant. He takes you where you want to go if you already have an idea, and/or suggests locations based on your interests. Provides the back story and the history of what you are seeing. He spends hours a week at the library researching city history. He pointed me into the Palmer Park apartment district while we were passing by and I got a look at the magnificent architecture, all from the outside. Would have completely missed that had I been on my own. Worth every penny.
    In that context okay and you did say it was from the outside but from their website the following quote.

"Participants should be in general good health and dress appropriately [[layers, boots, etc.) as it could be overly warm or cold inside the buildings. Bring a flashlight. We will provide bottled water."

The signing of the waiver is that to protect the tour operators from liabilities or is that a waiver from the actual property owners so they can be protected from a potential lawsuit?

Richard, their waiver is to protect the tour operators. I can't imagine any owner letting people into dangerous buildings. That would be a huge liability. And the signing of a waiver is not sufficient to get these guys out of trouble if someone is hurt or killed.

This is bound to end horribly. Once thieves see numerous photographers entering buildings every weekend, I wouldn't want to be one of the tourists.

Quote Originally Posted by neavling View Post
    This is bound to end horribly. Once thieves see numerous photographers entering buildings every weekend, I wouldn't want to be one of the tourists.
    this has been happening for years now. the only thing new about this is how it's been organized and promoted.

Let me get this straight, you actually PAID to have someone take you exploring?

No offense, but please say you aren't serious. Isn't the whole idea, thrill, fascination, and overall point of exploring is to...explore? You PAID someone for this? If you are serious, that's a complete waste of money and rather sad.

You could have easily researched these buildings and found your own way in for free. You even could have networked online a little bit with other people with similar interests who wouldn't have charged you to hang out. It's your money though, you can spend it as you want.....

No offense, but please say you aren't serious. Isn't the whole idea, thrill, fascination, and overall point of exploring is to...explore? You PAID someone for this? If you are serious, that's a complete waste of money and rather sad.

You could have easily researched these buildings and found your own way in for free. You even could have networked online a little bit with other people with similar interests who wouldn't have charged you to hang out. It's your money though, you can spend it as you want.....
    I do not know about that ,I have been hanging out here learning about the city and those who live in it and getting to know it in a different perspective and when it comes time for my first time after listening to some of you guys I would gladly pay for a guided tour and tour guides bodyguards if needed,and I can well take care of myself if needed.

A lot of tourists do not have the time for all of the research and getting to know the intimates of a host city and especially coming from another country ,it is easier to take in the the sites with less stress of ending up in the wrong neighborhood or spending half of the time getting lost etc. it in general becomes a more relaxing and enjoyable experience.

But the one thing is I would never even think of traveling to another city and disrespecting their customs and laws or act any different then I would expect those to act if the situation were reversed.

Nope. It's not something to do alone, especially when one is a novice like me. Going with an experienced explorer is the only way to do it with even a minimal degree of safety.

You could have easily researched these buildings and found your own way in for free.
    I did research most of them myself and could have easily gone alone for free. But I'm not that stupid. And I wouldn't have seen nearly as much had I not had an expert with me who made suggestions based on my interests. That's what a good tour guide does.

You even could have networked online a little bit with other people with similar interests who wouldn't have charged you to hang out.
    Ha ha, right. Good way to get preyed on by criminals pretending to be explorers. Not a chance. Lots of "explorers" are nothing more than idiot vandals anyway who know nothing about the places they "visit." Not gonna take my chances on ending up with idiots like that.

I followed Detroiturbex's writeups for a month and asked for and checked two of his references before I hired him. The references told me that he excels at providing the back story, the history, and the context of what each location. And that was indeed the case. That's what made it worthwhile; I learned something about each place.

It's your money though, you can spend it as you want.....
    The money I paid for his services dwarfs the money I spent getting to and from Detroit from the west coast, what I paid to stay at a nice downtown hotel, and to patronize local businesses and restaurants. Exploring abandoned buildings is by far not the only thing I did.

had I not had an expert with me who made suggestions based on my interests.
    An expert? You have got to be kidding me.

Lots of "explorers" are nothing more than idiot vandals anyway who know nothing about the places they "visit." Not gonna take my chances on ending up with idiots like that.
    You know this exactly how? How many "explorers" in Detroit do you actually know?

when i was doing it i never once went alone and it wasnt until i became friends with someone who was already involved in the hobby that i began going into places and exploring. not everyone has a network of friends that includes people who urbex. when i was active i would get requests for tag alongs but i wouldnt invite others unless i knew them somehow. i dont think its that crazy to reach out to someone who is obviously well connected to try and see some of these places and be willing to spend a few bucks in the process...

Surprised? This happens all the time. I have continual requests for this. Others I know do too. It's ridiculous to think to that someone who doesn't even know where the sites are, let alone their dangers, wouldn't seek advice. Often these are media people or scholars from out of town with limited time. It would be like you wanting to explore the Amazon, landing in Manaus, spinning the bottle and wandering off into the wilderness on your own. Yes, it's serious; and no, it's not a waste of money.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    Surprised? This happens all the time. I have continual requests for this. Others I know do too. It's ridiculous to think to that someone who doesn't even know where the sites are, let alone their dangers, wouldn't seek advice. Often these are media people or scholars from out of town with limited time. It would be like you wanting to explore the Amazon, landing in Manaus, spinning the bottle and wandering off into the wilderness on your own. Yes, it's serious; and no, it's not a waste of money.
    I totally agree with Lowell. The negative reaction to the idea of bus tours is very surprising. Organized tours occur in every city or place of interest. Group tours are especially necessary if you are not familiar with the local geography. Detroit also lacks a reliable public transportation system, which makes exploring on one's own very challenging and very possibly dangerous.

Tours are ultimately a good thing for Detroit. The more that outsiders see all the hidden gems scattered throughout the city, the more it is possible for outside investment in the continuing improvement of Detroit.

Quote Originally Posted by XDetroitr View Post
    I totally agree with Lowell. The negative reaction to the idea of bus tours is very surprising. Organized tours occur in every city or place of interest. Group tours are especially necessary if you are not familiar with the local geography. Detroit also lacks a reliable public transportation system, which makes exploring on one's own very challenging and very possibly dangerous.

Tours are ultimately a good thing for Detroit. The more that outsiders see all the hidden gems scattered throughout the city, the more it is possible for outside investment in the continuing improvement of Detroit.
    I agree with you and lowell. On the other hand its let's revive Detroit is what has me perplexed. I am not sure how much a tour of our ruins helps to revive the city.
    Last edited by p69rrh51; January-23-13 at 01:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by p69rrh51 View Post
    I agree with you and lowell. On the other hand its let's revive Detroit is what has me perplexed. I am not sure how much a tour of our ruins helps to revive the city.
    agreed. i also think there is a big different between an individual seeking a tour and an entire busload of people.

Quote Originally Posted by XDetroitr View Post
    The negative reaction to the idea of bus tours is very surprising. Organized tours occur in every city or place of interest.
    uhhhhhhhh...yeah, but in other cities it doesn't involve trespassing, or the potential for the fire department to have to come rescue some 'tards from the bottom of an elevator shaft, or tour organizers who are profiting as a result of these activities.

nor do other cities' tours focus on urban blight.
    Last edited by WaCoTS; January-23-13 at 05:30 PM.

^There are some very good tours in Cincinnati that focus on urban blight. These are historic tours that go into abandoned buildings and talk about Cincinnati's beer brewering history [[the Over-the-Rhine neighborhood in particular). They receive permission from the building owners to enter. By the end of the tour you have a lot of respect for the neighborhood and they try to talk about the positive things that are happening now, as well as the negative things that happened before [[ie. Why it is the way it is and what is being done to better the neighborhood). There are ways to make tours of abandonment and blight positive. If you're ever in Cincinnati, I suggest you check out the Prohibition Resistance Tours and the Queen City Underground tours.

As for the Detroit Urbex tours, I'm not sure the type of spin they put on this, so my comments aren't geared directly to these tours. My comments are specifically talking about how tours of abandonment CAN be used in a positive light.

I have a couple coworkers that do this on occasion. About once/once every other month they go out to different buildings. Usually it's one building at time, this seems like a grand tour. They pay like 30-40$. You show up as a group and car pool down to the pre- determined building. It's just photographers wanting to get THE urban decay shot.

I'll just leave this here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9WtjFhEGrM

Quote Originally Posted by WaCoTS View Post
    uhhhhhhhh...yeah, but in other cities it doesn't involve trespassing, or the potential for the fire department to have to come rescue some 'tards from the bottom of an elevator shaft, or tour organizers who are profiting as a result of these activities.

nor do other cities' tours focus on urban blight.
    Now this is as strange, and I have a feeling it focus' heavily on blight.

http://lagangtours.com/

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2