Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by metadetroit View Post
    This question is intentionally open-ended?

Which business or business-type is ripe for the starting in Detroit?
    Anything other than blood sucking rent seeking. Rent seeking is parasitic.

A lot of projects heralded here is rent seeking.

Quote Originally Posted by rex View Post
    a quality full line grocery store midtown thats not Whole Foods
    What's your objection to Whole Foods?

Quote Originally Posted by aj3647 View Post
    What's your objection to Whole Foods?
    That one is easy...price.

Yeah ditto on that.....

How about Motorcycle Trike conversion kits? This is where you take a larger touring bike like a Honda Goldwing 1800 or Harley FLH / Ultra and install an all new independent suspension, fiberglass body and make it a three wheeled machine that is not only safe [[can't fall over) but comfortable for short trips or cross country travel. Motor City Trikes [[i.e. Me) has been trying to find an investment partner or two for over a year here in Detroit. I have done all the design work already with the help of Roush in Livonia and just need to build the actual prototype on our Goldwing. Take a look at the link below and spread the word. Trikes are very popular around the world this would be a huge business here in Detroit and S.E. Michigan.....................
    http://detroit.cbslocal.com/2013/12/...-centric-bike/

Trikes have great potential ...........

http://www.autoblog.com/2014/03/02/h...e-trike-japan/

Imagine 'Detroit' the Auto Capitol also known as the Motorcycle Trike Capitol of the world

The following comment is more about something to watch out for and a heads up for investment opportunity: exercise classes/schools/space. Yuppies on the coasts, women in particular, LOVE exercise classes. More than just yoga. Different than a standard gym. Not a cult like CrossFit [[are there any of those in Detroit, btw?). But stuff like cycling class, extra intense pilates, and other high intensity stuff.

Is Class Pass available in Detroit/area yet?

If this space hasn't exploded yet, it will soon. Perhaps I am ignorant of extant non-yoga studios, but regardless, demand will go up. Nothing like NY, but enough to justify some people investing in high-quality studio space, equipment, and trainers/teachers.

Other ideas:

Top quality grocery delivery. What is the status of that in the D? I know there is no FreshDirect. Anything comparable? It seems incredibly perfect for downtown, particularly in 2-4 years when population density continues to increase but there surely won't be a full-scale grocery store yet. And even if something as nice as Whole Foods opens up, which I would celebrate, grocery delivery would still be justified. As many New Yorkers have learned, in the city and downtown situations, to the extent you may have many grocery shopping options, they are some combination of overpriced or inadequate in terms of supply/market basket. In the future, the central neighborhoods of Detroit may be just like this: a quality butcher here, a good fishmonger there, a health foods store over there, a Whole Foods, a few bodegas, and overpriced wanna-be grocer. Fact is, it sadly only outer-suburbanites who get access to a wide range of great products at the best prices via large chain retailer [[of course, they get less of the interesting stuff that you can pick up at local small businesses). So for Detroit in the near-future, given the reality that there won't be a Super Kroger downtown anytime soon, or a WholeFoods next door to a Trader Joe's, Fresh Direct seems like the way to go, as the source for essentials at a cheap rate, to complement what you pick up in person at local bakeries, sundry shops, butchers, etc. The minor delivery charges more than make up for the benefit of not driving out of the city, and frankly could facilitate a car-free lifestyle for more of those people who live and work in the central city. [[p.s., this inures to the massive benefit of residents in outer parts of the city who likewise have little quality produce and goods available to them).

1953, I agree with the import of your post, but would make a friendly amendment: more food carts and food trucks. Such basic offerings can be provided on the street to the extent they aren't already offered in storefronts. Remember, we have the Conies, virtually all of the chain sub shops, and other cheap lunch offerings tailored to downtown workers. And a good burger can be had in most of our nicer downtown bars. I see how what you describe is a tad different, but it is the same basic-food sector and my own view is that we are good on that real estate-wise, but that we could greatly benefit from and enjoy more food trucks and push carts.

Top shelf grocery delivery? You forget what city we are talking about? Keep the brave schmuck delivering a few hundred dollars worth of groceries at time in Detroit in your thoughts.

How about bottle service at major intersections?

I would like to see Neiman Marcus open its dept store in Gilberttown Detroir, but an Apple Store will be fine.

What's Downtown Detroit full of? Young people, many on them on this board deemed "hipsters". What do hipsters like besides mustache wax, gluten free craft beers, and tricycles? Fuck of I know, but there's your downtown demographic. Come up with an idea catering to that group and it'll be solid.

As for the rest of the city, how about a monorail?
    Name:  th.jpg
Views: 366
Size:  11.9 KB

A lot of people like watching shows right. Maybe a little movie theater type spot, a restored theater, not like emagine or whatever but more like the state theater around midtown but super small. IDK if something like this exists but instead of hollywood movies they marathon tv shows or independent films. So ever monday and thursday they play 2 consecutive episodes of IDK, the Wire or 4 of Friends. Different days they play different shows. 40 or 50 seats. They have a liquor license or a license to sell beer. They could also have a stage for local bands. When all the seats are cleared there is room for 150 or so people. Figure out a way to convert it to a hackerspace or art space at different times of the week. I think it could work because people would presumably want to stay current with the show and set aside time every in their schedule to return on certain days. It sucks to watch some shows out of order.

Quote Originally Posted by Islandman View Post
    Is there a reason you can't find a Taco Bell in the city?

I think a Taco Bell in Hamtramck would do well.

was a Taco Bell ob Griswald in the late 80's and early 90's dont know why it left it was always busy, had a Wendy's next to it

Quote Originally Posted by mikefmich View Post
    Sanders would work nicely.
    Had one next to the Penobscott, in the late 80's, didnt last, closed all of them except a couple in the burb's

[[Neighborhood zones workout gyms. More sit-down/family restaurants.

A professional American Football franchise that consistently wins games.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobl View Post
    A professional American Football franchise that consistently wins games.
    Dreamer

Willi Guest

Small Engine Repair

Lawn Mowers, WeedWackers, Chainsaws, RotoTillers, Pruning , Edgers, etc.
    Many items last decades with maintenance, repair, rebuild of a few parts.
    It would be a skill, a trade, a mentorship, learn a small business from the ground up.

Rent-All business

Charge a serious cash deposit, cover losses, but enable folks to get the tools they need for a small hourly fee, return the deposit. Hold a driver's license to insure rental return perhaps.

General Fix-It Guy

Appliances, household items, etc. , stuff that can be made to work with a little ingenuity, and a workaround, without scrapping it completely

Older retired guys passing on knowledge to kids that want to learn and put some money in their pocket, legally, ethically , and help out people.
    Last edited by Willi; January-07-15 at 11:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Willi View Post
    Small Engine Repair

Lawn Mowers, WeedWackers, Chainsaws, RotoTillers, Pruning , Edgers, etc.
    Many items last decades with maintenance, repair, rebuild of a few parts.
    It would be a skill, a trade, a mentorship, learn a small business from the ground up.

Rent-All business

Charge a serious cash deposit, cover losses, but enable folks to get the tools they need for a small hourly fee, return the deposit. Hold a driver's license to insure rental return perhaps.

General Fix-It Guy

Appliances, household items, etc. , stuff that can be made to work with a little ingenuity, and a workaround, without scrapping it completely

Older retired guys passing on knowledge to kids that want to learn and put some money in their pocket, legally, ethically , and help out people.
    This is a first, I agree with you.

Outside of downtown/ mid town, detroit has an aging population and affordable help is always appreciated. We have always supported local business, and community. We have a great mechanic, small machine repair dude, garden service, household help, neighbor support amazing, our local hardwares rent tools as needed. There is great reciprocity.

Really could use a driver/help with hauling light stuff, twice a week. Pay $20 an hour.
    Last edited by sumas; January-08-15 at 12:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sumas View Post
    Really could use a driver/help with hauling light stuff, twice a week. Pay $20 an hour.
    Why don't you hire someone from the Tent City?

Quote Originally Posted by aj3647 View Post
    Why don't you hire someone from the Tent City?
    Thanks for being a smart ass. I had planned on doing that. Done with that group. Few more comments to be made and I am done with this forum.

All compliments to Lowell and so many amazing people over the years for the wit and wisdom provided.

Still many people of value on the board, however the preponderance of trolls, racists and just plain idiots that infilterated a great forum make this site a cess pool.

Easy option, I am gone!

Quote Originally Posted by scooter View Post
    Had one next to the Penobscott, in the late 80's, didnt last, closed all of them except a couple in the burb's
    Sanders out in Rochester is a travesty of the original Sanders.

Such a good idea had to use it twice...

If I had the resources ---

A fishery and greenhouse complex. Top level would be the greenhouse, watered by the man-made stream where fish would be developing, thus filtering and aerating the water for the fish. The stream[[s) would have eddy and pond areas, some rapids to replicate nature as closely as possible. At appropriate times some of the fish would be re-introduced to the Detroit River, others would be allowed to mature in situ for harvesting.

Change some building code and zoning laws to allow recycling businesses to flourish. Set some standards and grading procedures to allow more bricks, windows, doors, joists to be reused. Some of the old homes were built of white pine that if kept dry is still good. This reuse could cut the cost of new construction, create jobs cleaning and grading used building material, and put less in landfills.

One of the Amish farmers near where I live in Wisconsin has a barn wood siding business. He has crews strip old barn wood siding when taking down barns. He sells it by the semi-truck load to Texas for interior decoration. On a newer shed or barn, he will also put up new vertical wood siding , let it weather for six years I think, and then replace it with new wood selling the wood he has weathered into good looking barnwood siding. The owner of the barn doesn't have to paint any more.

The local Amish also built their own modern cheese factory to market their own milk. Non-Amish are hired to operate the plant. Other Amish have formed a growers coop to market their vegetables and floral arrangements. They are going into greenhouse production. Having an average of 7.3 kids in my County is useful toward that end. They have discovered that they can make more money by making and selling live and cut floral arrangements at their auction barn. Buyers come from Chicago and Milwaukee to purchase lots of vegetables and flowers at the Amish auction barn. This later idea might work out in Detroit - putting a lot of labor into a finished product instead of just selling produce.

That's another thing- allow people to make and sell their own things without so much licensing. I pay the Amish $15/hr. for roofing or fencing. They get the job done in their own way taking days off here and there to attend weddings or whatever. I don't asked them about licenses and they seldom sue anyone. Everyone knows they can be trusted. One of the Amish I had to deliver some scaffolds to was remodeling his barn into a sanitary metal interior chicken coupe.He said he was rushing to get done because he had ordered 5,000 chicks. His explanation was that his oldest boys were 12 and 13 and he "needed something to keep them busy". Sorry for going on so long about the Amish but I think their attitudes and ability to go with the flow of markets could be copied. They see work opportunities all around them and dive in without waiting for a committee to deliberate about giving them a grant.

Just thought of another one before I quit. One Amish farmer switched to raising goats because he somehow connected with Arabs in Chicago. He raises goats. His customers drive off with them to do their own butchering. Goats are easy to raise. Detroit has a lot of grassy places and a market, I would think, in Dearborn.

Willi Guest

Serious, interested, business minded entrepeneural individuals might seek out micro-loans

http://www.michigan.gov/snyder/0,466...4933--,00.html

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast