Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by MidTownMs View Post
    There is a reason whey there are no malls, Sears, Kmart, Wal-Mart, Sam's Club, Costco, Penney's, Meijer's, Kroger, or Target, etc., etc, etc and I think every person here already knows what the reason is.
    Because they'll still get Detroiters money without having to open a store in Detroit.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    Because they'll still get Detroiters money without having to open a store in Detroit.
    It's a win-win for these retailers from a business perspective.

They're able to reap the benefits of Detroit's dollars without incurring the risk of investing in Detroit.

If Detroiters want retailers to open in the city, stop robbing the retailers blind and demand that the city increase fire/police protection [[both of which will never happen in my lifetime the way things are going).

Tax breaks will only keep them for so long until Meijer and Whole Foods realize hundreds of dollars worth of merchandise is marching out of the door so often while the police won't even show up to catch the thieves.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    It's a win-win for these retailers from a business perspective.

They're able to reap the benefits of Detroit's dollars without incurring the risk of investing in Detroit.

If Detroiters want retailers to open in the city, stop robbing the retailers blind and demand that the city increase fire/police protection [[both of which will never happen in my lifetime the way things are going).

Tax breaks will only keep them for so long until Meijer and Whole Foods realize hundreds of dollars worth of merchandise is marching out of the door so often while the police won't even show up to catch the thieves.
    I think you're a bit misguided. Home Depot has somehow made it work in Detroit for like a decade now, and it was at one point the most profitable location in Michigan.

The simple reason that retailers don't locate in Detroit is because they don't need to in order to get Detroit's money. There is not a single Meijer, Kroger, Wal Mart, Target or Macy's in the city of Detroit. But I dare you to find a Detroit resident who hasn't shopped at one of those stores in the past month.

I think you're a bit misguided. Home Depot has somehow made it work in Detroit for like a decade now, and it was at one point the most profitable location in Michigan.
    THAT Home Depot is a bit unique where...

1. It is the only home improvement store in at least a several-mile radius [[Home Depot closed the Northland store after opening the 7 Mile/Meyers location).

2. It's near several relatively wealthy neighborhoods.

3. It sells goods that don't shrink as fast. Good luck walking a toilet or plywood out the door without getting caught [[and why would someone want to snatch those items up and steal them?).

On the flip-side, take Eastland's Target which boasted the highest shrinkage rate of all stores in the country. The folks in Minneapolis have debated over to over again about closing that store.
    Last edited by 313WX; January-14-13 at 06:25 PM.

THAT Home Depot is a bit unique where...

1. It is the only home improvement store in at least a several-mile radius [[Home Depot closed the Northland store after opening the 7 Mile/Meyers location).

2. It's near several relatively wealthy neighborhoods.

3. It sells goods that don't shrink as fast. Good luck walking a toilet or plywood out the door without getting caught [[and why would someone want to snatch those items up and steal them?).

On the flip-side, take Eastland's Target which boasted the highest shrinkage rate of all stores in the country. The folks in Minneapolis have debated over to over again about closing that store.
    Eastland is not in Detroit.

Eastland is not in Detroit.
    Oh please. Who do you think the stores in Eastland cater to? People in Grosse Pointe?

Even sticking with the "Eastland is not in Detroit" line, how do you explain the 7 Mile/Gratiot Kroger or Bel-Air Centre [[which BTW also had a Target that closed for whatever reason)?

And even if you ignore the shrinkage problem and poor police response time, don't forget the ridiculous insurance rates these businesses must incur because the insurance companies see how piss poor the DPD/DFD are right now.

Oh please. Who do you think the stores in Eastland cater to? People in Grosse Pointe?
    So when Target closes its Eastland store people from Detroit will suddenly stop shopping at Target? I don't get your point.

The simple reason that retailers don't locate in Detroit is because they don't need to in order to get Detroit's money. There is not a single Meijer, Kroger, Wal Mart, Target or Macy's in the city of Detroit. But I dare you to find a Detroit resident who hasn't shopped at one of those stores in the past month.

That's about to change with Meijer's opening stores at 8 Mile and Woodward and 6 Mile and Grand River, on the old Redford High School site.

There is not a single Meijer, Kroger, Wal Mart, Target or Macy's in the city of Detroit. But I dare you to find a Detroit resident who hasn't shopped at one of those stores in the past month.[/QUOTE]
    I'm a Detroit resident who hasn't shopped at any of those stores in at least a year. Macy's I've never shopped at, and as for Sprawl-Mart, well, I wouldn't set foot in there if they opened one right down the street from me.

I hear you... IMO, withstanding Home Depot, is a not 'either/or' thing, it's 'both/and'

Big retailers can relocated out of the city with reduced risk and Detroiter's will still shop at their suburban locales.

The Kmart before on seven mile was pure hell at the end. A school teacher was murdered in the parking lot. There were robberies and who knows what in terms of the five-finger discount [[shrink factor)!

It will be interesting how things work out with HF and Meijers.