Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

http://www.pholucky.net/

http://www.yelp.com/biz/pho-lucky-re...arter-township

not in the City and not black-owned, but if you like Vietnamese Pho you should check out Pho Lucky in Redford on Joy Road at Telegraph.

very authentic according to the Vietnamese diners at the next tables. Been there twice since the place opened on Labor Day. Great pho, Delish iced coffee, and freaky weird but good Asian smoothies.

so mom and popish the kids work there too.

So, now you can argue about something completely different. Child labor, Vietnamese. Driving to get food. Neocolonial oppression of ethnic minorities or eased immigration standard for communist countries vs middle eastern vs mesoamericans.

go ahead... Pick one. There is a bunch to choose from. What ever makes you happy.

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    http://www.pholucky.net/

http://www.yelp.com/biz/pho-lucky-re...arter-township

not in the City and not black-owned, but if you like Vietnamese Pho you should check out Pho Lucky in Redford on Joy Road at Telegraph.

very authentic according to the Vietnamese diners at the next tables. Been there twice since the place opened on Labor Day. Great pho, Delish iced coffee, and freaky weird but good Asian smoothies.

so mom and popish the kids work there too.

So, now you can argue about something completely different. Child labor, Vietnamese. Driving to get food. Neocolonial oppression of ethnic minorities or eased immigration standard for communist countries vs middle eastern vs mesoamericans.

go ahead... Pick one. There is a bunch to choose from. What ever makes you happy.
    Are they putting in a lite-rail to the restaurant? LOL! I will check them out. I love Asian food, but don't care for "Chop Suey" places.

I see your points. Thankfully we've been able to avoid the chain restaurants in this thread. They get enough business, such as the McDonalds on Woodward in the medical center. I believe that franchise is black-owned. But I'm not interested. I wanted to learn more about the black-owned mom and pop establishments pointed out in this particular thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    I generally will seek out mom & pop type establishments, no matter WHAT color they are, depending on the mood I'm in.

Quote Originally Posted by De'troiter View Post
    I am a Black Detroiter and I find nothing wrong with the original question. What's all the fuss about? But I would like to add the that Black Americans are completely different culturally and socially than "African" Americans. Although, White People often group us together, we really don't share anything with Africans except for ancestors from the same continent. Black Americans share more in common culturally and socially with Southern Whites than Africans. Also most Black Americans have White Ancestry, opposed to Africans whose ancestry is mostly monolithic. This is why Black Americans as a whole look different than Africans.

You must realize that Africa is a Continent, filled with separate, distinctly different kingdoms and tribes, who exist exclusive of others. Black Americans have no connection to this because no one can trace what tribe or country that our ancestors came from. We don't know the languages, names, music or cuisine that African people enjoy. So that is why there is a social and cultural divide between Africans and Black Americans.
    I realize all of that. i was always taught to respect people and speak to and of them respectfully.

First, I was taught the you always said "colored".

Then I was taught that "colored" was wrong and you were to say "negro" [[being very careful wit your pronunciation).

Then, the preferred term became "black" which seemed to last the longest.

Then I got totally reamed out by a young woman for saying "black" when I should be using "African Armerican".

I do agree with you that Black Americans [[and most blacks in the western hemisphere) came from a very small portion of the total continent [[Ibos/Biafrans were the most preferred imports). I also agree that the Black-American experience was extremely different from the Black-Caribbean and Black-Brazilian experience and has led to dramatically different cultures.

I am more than happy to use whichever term is supposed [[at this time) to show respect in daily interactions.

HT, you raise an interesting issue. For me I am not sure African American is an accurate word selection. I understand it attempts to denote -and instill - racial pride but it is very confusing if you confer with a black Canadian or Brit.

They certainly are not African Americans because they are not Americans. So as a racial descriptor it is culturally biased to presuppose everyone wants to be an American.

The negro moniker is most accurate, but has somehow fell out of favor as a term because it is tinged with Bull Connerness.

I wonder if a new and more accurate group of letters will emerge in the years ahead which is both respectful and descriptive.

Quote Originally Posted by Kathleen View Post
    1917 American Bistro. Livernois near 7 Mile Rd.
    Dave plays there about once a month with the LL7 Latin Jazz Machine. He hasn't tried the food, but the place is always packed!! Other musicians we know are also playing there....it is becoming the place to be!
    http://www.1917americanbistro.com
    Havent stopped in yet, but thats mainly because everytime I drive by on my way home from work, it looks packed - good for them, of course.

They must be doing something right though, they draw a nice crowd.

Black or African-American works for me. I usually refer to myself as black.

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    I wonder if a new and more accurate group of letters will emerge in the years ahead which is both respectful and descriptive.
    Last edited by Zacha341; January-13-13 at 11:38 AM.

One restaurant I really loved was Edmund Place in Brush Park. A lovely Victorian house with great food.

We went there several times, loved their smothered pork chops.
    The restoration was quite nice and on going.

What ever happened to it, the location is a vacant lot. The address was , I believe, 69 Edmund Place.

I'm sure someone on this forum knows the story as we have so many familiar with Brush Park.

^^^ Drats! It's gone? I never had the chance to go...

It's gone but the same family that owned it also owns Southern Fires.

When was it closed?

Quote Originally Posted by MidTownMs View Post

Quote Originally Posted by MidTownMs View Post
    I always wonder what happened every time we went there it was crowded. I believe that they were purchasing the Victorian across the street. At that time there were still Victorians, although in bad condition on Edmund. Now it is vacant lots.

Didn't know hot-dogs cared which ethnic group cooked them.....

I know I'm late to this party, but I prefer Detroit [[city of) restaurants owned by Detroit [[city of) residents.

Quote Originally Posted by pkbroch View Post
    One restaurant I really loved was Edmund Place in Brush Park. A lovely Victorian house with great food.

We went there several times, loved their smothered pork chops.
    The restoration was quite nice and on going.

What ever happened to it, the location is a vacant lot. The address was , I believe, 69 Edmund Place.

I'm sure someone on this forum knows the story as we have so many familiar with Brush Park.
    An old dyes thread on Edmund Place here

Quote Originally Posted by downtownguy View Post
    An old dyes thread on Edmund Place here
    I had no idea the place had burned down. As I said earlier when I saw the addresses recently they were vacant lots.

What a waste and a tragedy, a beautiful restored place lost.

There seems to be a 60-70% burn down rate in that old historic area.

Zacha and Midtown I guess our questions are answered, it still makes me sad.

Well, as far as soul food goes, the best soul food restaurant I've been to in the city is the Bagley Grille downtown.

Thought I'd bump this old one up. In light of Goodwells closing recently, the thread seems very relevant. A rising tide lifts mostly yachts, etc.

[[upthread someone mentions New Center Eatery closes at 4 in the afternoon. They're actually open until 4:00 AM Friday and Saturday night, closing at 8pm the rest of the week.)

^^^ 'Rising tide mostly lifts yachts...' That's funny and true often. Did not know about the Goodwells place or NCE being open that late! Wow!

Well since this thread started...these restaurants have opened:

Detroit Vegan Soul
    Kuzzo's
    Central Kitchen & Bar
    The Block
    The Bridge
    Le Petit Dejeuner
    Mo' Better Blues [[relocation)
    Dime Store
    Good Cakes 'n' Bakes
    GO! Smoothies
    Savannah Blu

I'm sure there are many more I've missed, but those are the ones I've been to.

Can't remember who ran Bet n' Jessie's on the west side, but they were good, cheap, greasy seafood with fat sides of chips.

Quote Originally Posted by middetres View Post

Central Kitchen & Bar
    The Block
    The Bridge
    Le Petit Dejeuner
    Dime Store
    Good Cakes 'n' Bakes
    GO! Smoothies
    Savannah Blu

Where are these places? What side of town?

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post

https://www.google.com/

Quote Originally Posted by middetres View Post

Detroit Vegan Soul
    Kuzzo's
    Central Kitchen & Bar
    The Block
    The Bridge
    Le Petit Dejeuner
    Dime Store
    Good Cakes 'n' Bakes
    GO! Smoothies
    Savannah Blu

I went to Cuzzo's Chicken and Waffles a while back, and the food was ok, wasn't overly impressed. They were crowded though.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    Central Kitchen, Savannah Blu, Mo' Better Blues, GO! Smoothies and Dime Store are all downtown, Most are west of Woodward except Mo' Better Blues in Bricktown and Central Kitchen on Cadillac Square

Good Cakes 'n' Bakes and Kuzzo's are on the Avenue of Fashion

The Block is in midtown on Woodward south of Alexandrine

The Bridge is out East Jefferson.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast