Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by jackie5275 View Post
    Thanks for this info. I drive past there a couple of times a week always wondering how it is, but never knowing anyone who's been in there who can give me an opinion.
    Here is my Yelp.com review of New Center Eatery:

A few weeks ago I went to Long Beach, Ca. for a conference. Roscoe's Chicken and Waffles was within walking distance of my hotel. I was told by a fellow Detroiter that I must go to Roscoe's. Of course I did because of all the hype Roscoe's receives all over America. Trust me it's just hype because one of my co-workers that was with me said if you really want great Chicken and Waffles instead of just good Chicken and Waffles go to New Center Eatery. Immediately upon returning to Detroit I went straight to New Center Eatery for Chicken and Waffles. All is can say is MY MY MY!!!! It's everything everybody else already said so I'll just say..If you haven't been...GO!!!

Quote Originally Posted by gvidas View Post
    I think the original question is a legitimate one. Uncomfortable, maybe, but legitimate. There's a huge difference between owning a business and having a job: usually, the more money you have, the more money you can make. I don't have statistics to back this up, but I'm under the impression that owning a business tends to run in the family -- if your parents were in business for themselves, you are more likely to try it, and to have the money to be able to try it.

As Detroit changes/grows/comes back, opportunities for new businesses arise. One significant measure of the success of a Detroit comeback is, I think, whether lifelong Detroiters are going to be in a position to capitalize on those opportunities: Will they have the money, or the credit, to start or buy a business when the opportunity presents itself? Or will they be so drained by the preceding decades that they can only watch the city change around them?

Given the demographics of our fair city, these questions very quickly come back to the broader question of racial equality and the long echos of our particular history of systemic disenfranchisement.

That said, I think the burgers at Cutter's Bar & Grille [[2638 Orleans, east side of Eastern Market) are some of the best in the city. Usually I and whoever I walk in with are the only white people there, but I don't know anything about the ownership.
    I loved Cutter's when I lived in Detroit. Here's my Yelp.com review of Cutter's:

• Every now and then I need a gigantic burger [[32 oz. the smaller burger is 16oz.) with everything imaginable on it. Along with that gigantic burger I need a mountainous order of loaded fries with everything imaginable on them...and a couple of very large ice cold Beers. That's when I head to Cutters. The burgers are so big and juicy the juice runs down your arms and down your front. But you don't care and nobody else does either. That's probably why they don't have a dress code. Cutters is very loud. It's tucked away on a back street in the Eastern Market. You will hear Cutter's long before you see it. Good thing otherwise you will miss it. No one and I mean no one is a stranger at Cutters. They have a great menu. But I just go for the burgers. If you go in with a 20 dollar bill and eat the above and leave a tip...you will still probably leave with some change. The only reason I didn't give Cutters five stars is because most of the time you have to track down a waiter because they're either singing karaoke or heading up a hustle line

I am a Black Detroiter and I find nothing wrong with the original question. What's all the fuss about? But I would like to add the that Black Americans are completely different culturally and socially than "African" Americans. Although, White People often group us together, we really don't share anything with Africans except for ancestors from the same continent. Black Americans share more in common culturally and socially with Southern Whites than Africans. Also most Black Americans have White Ancestry, opposed to Africans whose ancestry is mostly monolithic. This is why Black Americans as a whole look different than Africans.

You must realize that Africa is a Continent, filled with separate, distinctly different kingdoms and tribes, who exist exclusive of others. Black Americans have no connection to this because no one can trace what tribe or country that our ancestors came from. We don't know the languages, names, music or cuisine that African people enjoy. So that is why there is a social and cultural divide between Africans and Black Americans.

A Black Restaurant in Detroit, would be a totally different experience than a African or Carribean Restaurant in Detroit. Differences are not always a bad thing, and just because someone wants to explore Black Culture doesn't make them a racist. Please stop pulling the race card just because someone mentions that Black People exist in Detroit!

Thank you, Good Day!

" Originally posted by gvidas

That said, I think the burgers at Cutter's Bar & Grille [[2638 Orleans, east side of Eastern Market) are some of the best in the city. Usually I and whoever I walk in with are the only white people there, but I don't know anything about the ownership.

I can attest to Cutter's Bar & Grille. They have great burgers !!
    Last edited by Cincinnati_Kid; January-11-13 at 03:12 PM.

Southern Fires on Bellevue. Not a single thing I don't like thus far on the menu.

Quote Originally Posted by De'troiter View Post
    I am a Black Detroiter and I find nothing wrong with the original question. What's all the fuss about? But I would like to add the that Black Americans are completely different culturally and socially than "African" Americans. Although, White People often group us together, we really don't share anything with Africans except for ancestors from the same continent. Black Americans share more in common culturally and socially with Southern Whites than Africans. Also most Black Americans have White Ancestry, opposed to Africans whose ancestry is mostly monolithic. This is why Black Americans as a whole look different than Africans.

You must realize that Africa is a Continent, filled with separate, distinctly different kingdoms and tribes, who exist exclusive of others. Black Americans have no connection to this because no one can trace what tribe or country that our ancestors came from. We don't know the languages, names, music or cuisine that African people enjoy. So that is why there is a social and cultural divide between Africans and Black Americans.

A Black Restaurant in Detroit, would be a totally different experience than a African or Carribean Restaurant in Detroit. Differences are not always a bad thing, and just because someone wants to explore Black Culture doesn't make them a racist. Please stop pulling the race card just because someone mentions that Black People exist in Detroit!

Thank you, Good Day!
    Good, concise post, IMO.

Well said.

Quote Originally Posted by MidTownMs View Post
    Here is my Yelp.com review of New Center Eatery:

A few weeks ago I went to Long Beach, Ca. for a conference. Roscoe's Chicken and Waffles was within walking distance of my hotel. I was told by a fellow Detroiter that I must go to Roscoe's. Of course I did because of all the hype Roscoe's receives all over America. Trust me it's just hype because one of my co-workers that was with me said if you really want great Chicken and Waffles instead of just good Chicken and Waffles go to New Center Eatery. Immediately upon returning to Detroit I went straight to New Center Eatery for Chicken and Waffles. All is can say is MY MY MY!!!! It's everything everybody else already said so I'll just say..If you haven't been...GO!!!
    I don't know anyone who's been to Roscoe's and thought it was the best ever.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    I was very disappointed especially after all the hype about it. The wings looked like they came from a sparrow and the waffles look like they came from the freezer section of the supermarket.

I was very disappointed especially after all the hype about it. The wings looked like they came from a sparrow and the waffles look like they came from the freezer section of the supermarket.
    I had a similar experience years ago @ Frankenmuth. After the all the hype, the drive and the wait in line, it was very disappointing.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    I had a similar experience years ago @ Frankenmuth. After the all the hype, the drive and the wait in line, it was very disappointing.
    Sounds like marriage!

Cheers

Speaking of wings, my favorite in Detroit is Sweetwater Tavern's. They're not big either, but they are tasty! Sometimes, I get a cheap thrill just walking by -- you can usually smell the seasoning from several blocks, depending on which was the wind is blowing. I believe it's owned by an African American.

I like Hooters, that could just be me though?

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by AUSSIE View Post
    I like Hooters, that could just be me though?

Cheers

And it ain't because of the wings either....

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    And it ain't because of the wings either....
    Hooters are only good naked!

AHHH.... I mean the wings.

Quote Originally Posted by nain rouge View Post
    Of course, Detroit is about 85% black. A true representation of the culinary scene should then be predominately African American, right? So where can an intrepid visitor go to get a taste of "real" Detroit?
    In my experience working with business owners in the West Davison / Linwood / Dexter area, I found no correspondence between the demographics of residents and the demographics of business owners. Perhaps 20% of the business owners were black in an area that the Census put at 98-99% black, and hardly any of the business owners, blacks included, lived in the immediate area, or even the city.

That probably goes for restaurants too. I can't speak for the whole city, but I would be surprised if a majority of restaurants in Detroit were black-owned. Many of the neighborhood bbq and soul food joints are black-owned, and so are some nicer sit-down restaurants [[American Bistro 1917, Le Petit Zinc), but most restaurants at both the high end and the low end [[fast food, pizza, Coney Islands, etc.) are dominated by particular ethnic groups.

The pie is good at Sweet Potato Sensations but, the sweet potato cheesecake is to die for. Use to eat at Rono's Caribbean when it was on 6 and Evergreen. The curried goat, peanut punch and date pie were delicious. They moved to 6 and Schafer several years ago in a more sit down format.

Quote Originally Posted by rjlj View Post
    I really hate responding to this racist post but I can't help it. I get the feeling that most of my generation will go wherever the food is awesome and service is worth patronizing, not based on what the race of the ownership is.
    Nain Rouge's choice of words was unfortunate, but his intent was along the line of:

Where is the best Chinese place?
    Any good Greek restaurants?
    Who has the best pierogis around?
    I'd like to find a great French restaurant?

Do any of these questions offend?

Why should an inquiry about African-American ethnic food offend?

Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post
    Nain Rouge's choice of words was unfortunate, but his intent was along the line of:

Where is the best Chinese place?
    Any good Greek restaurants?
    Who has the best pierogis around?
    I'd like to find a great French restaurant?

Do any of these questions offend?

Why should an inquiry about African-American ethnic food offend?
    What Are The Best White-Owned Restaurants in Detroit?

What's wrong with trying to support your own?

Nice review MTMs. I use Yelp alot and plan to start writing reviews there soon. I'll have to check this place out!

I loved Cutter's when I lived in Detroit...

Yeah, it's hyped. Over-hyped!

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post

Yes, the place is little loud for my tastes but I've called in orders of wings and never disappointed. Yummy, unique flavoring to their wings!

Quote Originally Posted by downtownguy View Post
    Speaking of wings, my favorite in Detroit is Sweetwater Tavern's. They're not big either, but they are tasty! Sometimes, I get a cheap thrill just walking by -- you can usually smell the seasoning from several blocks, depending on which was the wind is blowing. I believe it's owned by an African American.

LOL! "sparrow" sized-wings! That's how I feel about City Wings, but I liked their use of recycled packaging and the clean look of the place. Or course there's always wings from Churches that are near the size of turkey wings and loaded with grease!! What are they injecting those chickens with at fast food joints like that?

Context is crucial here. With my busy schedule, as I can afford it [[using restaurant.com and groupon.com for coupons and discounts as applicable) I purchase food as carry-out and dine-in restaurants in Detroit and in the suburbs.

There are few black-owned restaurants in the city respective of the 85+% black population. Some are struggling mightily against the 'chain' style food establishments and the higher cost of having any business within Detroit's borders. IMO it's been informative to identify these businesses 'specifically'.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    What Are The Best White-Owned Restaurants in Detroit?

What's wrong with trying to support your own?

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    Context is crucial here. With my busy schedule, as I can afford it [[using restaurant.com and groupon.com for coupons and discounts as applicable) I purchase food as carry-out and dine-in restaurants in Detroit and in the suburbs.

There are few black-owned restaurants in the city respective of the 85+% black population. Some are struggling mightily against the 'chain' style food establishments and the higher cost of having any business within Detroit's borders. IMO it's been informative to identify these businesses 'specifically'.
    My point was to provide the person I responded to an answer as to why some of the posts here were considered inflamitory. Both of my posts were direct quotes, I just changed one word, "Black" to "White". Now we're heading in a different direction all together. Why is that? There are millions of wealthy Black people in this country, like there are millions of wealthy White. This country is based on a free enterprise system. Why don't other people start up and develop chain restaurants too? Personally White, Black, Yellow, Red, or any combination of the above, I don't care for chain food restaurants, and avoid them. I generally will seek out mom & pop type establishments, no matter WHAT color they are, depending on the mood I'm in.
    Last edited by Honky Tonk; January-12-13 at 06:37 AM.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast