Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Hybrid View

Default What are the best black-owned restaurants in Detroit?

Whenever a TV crew or someone from the media rolls into Detroit to check out the food, they always go the newer, hip establishments near greater downtown or they go the ethnic eateries in Mexicantown or Hamtramck.

Of course, Detroit is about 85% black. A true representation of the culinary scene should then be predominately African American, right? So where can an intrepid visitor go to get a taste of "real" Detroit?

Paris Crepes is black-owned. Someone I used to know hipped me to a bunch of black-owned BBQs in Detroit, but I can't remember all the names now. And certainly, the area in and around Eastern Market has some black-owned joints, too.

But I'd love to get a more thorough list. Any help would be mucho appreciated.

I enjoy Petit Zinc near Corktown. I believe that it is run by a man
    from Martinique.

Why do we care about the race of the owners?

I really long for the day where we don't make these distinctions anymore...

Yeah, I had a feeling some people would feel that way, but I don't think there is anything wrong with celebrating the uniqueness of specific cultures. Of course, in the end, we're not that different from each other, but that's no reason to try and whitewash what DOES make us different.

Quote Originally Posted by nain rouge View Post
    Yeah, I had a feeling some people would feel that way, but I don't think there is anything wrong with celebrating the uniqueness of specific cultures. Of course, in the end, we're not that different from each other, but that's no reason to try and whitewash what DOES make us different.
    I most certainly don't want to sound like I was offended, I just choose not to have criteria like "black owned" and would instead replace them with another category like "best soul food" or "best authentic African food" or "best African inspired food", or something along those lines. There's a good chance that such an establishment would be black owned, but it wouldn't be an absolute guarantee. It's not the race of the owners that is important, but the food and the experience.

When searching for "black owned" places it makes it sound like you're trying to "support your own". I don't making those distinctions.

Sorry to side-track your conversation here, I just feel strongly about that subject.

Couldn't agree more with you. The race of the owner shouldn't be a determining factor, it should simply be the type of food that's being served.

hmm... I suppose it also depends how one defines "best"-- if your taste runs from deli-type places and "dives", or your [[virtually) invite-only/reservation jacket-and-tie type places.. [[as such, do carry-out-only places count? If so, Motor City Soul Food on 7 Mile & Meyers is excellent.)

I think Hour Detroit puts out an annual list of restaurants throughout the region, including plenty from the city..

Sure, carry out counts! Now that I think about, Dutch Girl Donuts just north of 7 on Woodward has some real good baked goods, and that's carry out only.

I've also heard good things about Sweet Potato Sensations in downtown "Old Redford". I need to check that out.

Sure, carry out counts! Now that I think about, Dutch Girl Donuts just north of 7 on Woodward has some real good baked goods, and that's carry out only.
    I'm fairly certain that the owners of Dutch Girl Donuts, are, intuitively, Dutch-Americans.

Not a bad thread though. Of course I applaud all business owners in the city making a go of it. The eateries and hangouts in this city have a character you certainly don't find elsewhere, especially compared to the uncivilized dumpy slop-troughs like Applebees that pass for dining these days.

Yes, it is the best for that kind of home style cooking [[carry out). Great greens [[mine sure are not good). Could not recall their name. Portions are big and not too salty!

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    ....Motor City Soul Food on 7 Mile & Meyers is excellent.
    Last edited by Zacha341; January-11-13 at 04:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    hmm... I suppose it also depends how one defines "best"-- if your taste runs from deli-type places and "dives", or your [[virtually) invite-only/reservation jacket-and-tie type places.. [[as such, do carry-out-only places count? If so, Motor City Soul Food on 7 Mile & Meyers is excellent.)

I think Hour Detroit puts out an annual list of restaurants throughout the region, including plenty from the city..

I've ate at Motor City Soul Food and wasn't impressed at all. Maybe you have to order specific items. I order some smothered pork chops with mac n cheese and it didn't taste too good. I know the line is always out the door though. Maybe I'll try something else in the future, but after that visit, I said I won't be back here anytime soon.

What's wrong with trying to support your own?

And for the record, I'm white! "Black-owned" is a clumsy phrase, I know [[imagine if I said "white-owned", lol), but it was just expedient.

And for the record, I'm white! "Black-owned" is a clumsy phrase, I know [[imagine if I said "white-owned", lol), but it was just expedient.
    Cool. I don't think you were being racist or had bad intentions. I just wanted to point out that maybe your question was about wanting to find the best place for a specific type of food, not a specific race of ownership.

I haven't really ventured to any African inspired food places, but I can tell you that the Cadieux Cafe is a local place that's pretty good!

What about pizza hut

I really hate responding to this racist post but I can't help it. I get the feeling that most of my generation will go wherever the food is awesome and service is worth patronizing, not based on what the race of the ownership is.

Quote Originally Posted by rjlj View Post
    I really hate responding to this racist post but I can't help it. I get the feeling that most of my generation will go wherever the food is awesome and service is worth patronizing, not based on what the race of the ownership is.

What is racist about this post? Would it be racist if he asked where is a good Greek, Italian, Japanese, Chinese, etc. etc, owned restaurant? But as soon as somebody asks about something black all of a sudden it's racist.

Agreed. What is the big deal? I'm black, I'm not offended. I want to know about new culinary possibilities! Especially a place you can sit down and eat... there are lots of grab and go places, but few you can sit and eat in the city.

Who's has tried that new Bistro on Livernois? What is the name?

Quote Originally Posted by MidTownMs View Post
    What is racist about this post? Would it be racist if he asked where is a good Greek, Italian, Japanese, Chinese, etc. etc, owned restaurant? But as soon as somebody asks about something black all of a sudden it's racist.
    Last edited by Zacha341; January-11-13 at 11:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    Who's has tried that new Bistro on Livernois? What is the name?
    1917 American Bistro. Livernois near 7 Mile Rd.
    Dave plays there about once a month with the LL7 Latin Jazz Machine. He hasn't tried the food, but the place is always packed!! Other musicians we know are also playing there....it is becoming the place to be!
    http://www.1917americanbistro.com

Quote Originally Posted by rjlj View Post
    Nain Rouge's choice of words was unfortunate, but his intent was along the line of:

Where is the best Chinese place?
    Any good Greek restaurants?
    Who has the best pierogis around?
    I'd like to find a great French restaurant?

Do any of these questions offend?

Why should an inquiry about African-American ethnic food offend?

Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post
    Nain Rouge's choice of words was unfortunate, but his intent was along the line of:

Where is the best Chinese place?
    Any good Greek restaurants?
    Who has the best pierogis around?
    I'd like to find a great French restaurant?

Do any of these questions offend?

Why should an inquiry about African-American ethnic food offend?
    What Are The Best White-Owned Restaurants in Detroit?

Context is crucial here. With my busy schedule, as I can afford it [[using restaurant.com and groupon.com for coupons and discounts as applicable) I purchase food as carry-out and dine-in restaurants in Detroit and in the suburbs.

There are few black-owned restaurants in the city respective of the 85+% black population. Some are struggling mightily against the 'chain' style food establishments and the higher cost of having any business within Detroit's borders. IMO it's been informative to identify these businesses 'specifically'.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    What Are The Best White-Owned Restaurants in Detroit?

la-van hawkins burger king???

Ugh. I stay away from anything Hawkins, especially his so called white table cloth high cuisine joints that were less quality than his Bking joints!

Great food and summer fun:
    Berts!
    He's fixture in Eastern Market... great food and drinks. No muss, not fuss!
    2727 Russell St, Detroit, MI

Great breakfast when you're not counting calories:
    New Center Eatery
    Best chicken and waffles. Nicely breaded wings. Not from frozen. Great oatmeal with almonds.
    3100 W. Grand Blvd, Detroit, MI
    Last edited by Zacha341; January-11-13 at 11:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    New Center Eatery
    Best chicken and waffles. Nicely breaded wings. Not from frozen. Great oatmeal with almonds.
    3100 W. Grand Blvd, Detroit, MI
    Thanks for this info. I drive past there a couple of times a week always wondering how it is, but never knowing anyone who's been in there who can give me an opinion.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast