Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Nobody ever said prayer always delivers the outcome the individual desires...heck that would assume that a person can know always what is best for themselves and the situation, even when responding emotionally or even instinctually.

I have many stories where the only energy put into an equation was prayer, and there were solid, tangible results...which seem to have been impossibly done. But doubters need to doubt...I understand.

I know what it is to face when something I pray for very hard doesn't come to pass...say, like when my mother was sick with cancer...and while critics will claim my prayer failed, they will not be able to understand the deep and powerful way it was answered. The day she died.

The prayer energy opened up an avenue which provided amazing things to buffer the pain of that loss...which continues to this day, many years later.

But the prayer wasn't answered...surely some will say. Everyone dies. I am not the one who gets to dictate when or where...and none of you are, either. And none of us always gets everything we want...that would be a silly and sick world if that happened.

Sincerely,
    John

A bunch of metaphysical babble, that is. Time to get real.

BTW, what's the purpose of posting every single crime that happens on the street? What are we supposed to say to everyone of these stories? These are horrible stories. Even more, they happen every day, and stories like these just feel like sensationalism and exploitation.
    Last edited by Dexlin; January-11-13 at 08:51 AM.

Dear "Noise", That's exactly what your response is, noise. "prayer" is a concept that the churches use when they themselves are preying on the weak.......you may as well be wishing upon a star.

Quote Originally Posted by Islandman View Post
    Using the quote feature may help you out a bit then. See how easy it is?
    How embarrassing for you. You must not have noticed I used the quote feature in every post I've made in this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post
    That would be between you and your Maker...as it always is with every one of us.

Prayer is not like flipping a switch or pushing a button, although on occasion the 'seasonal' replies seem to get rushed. If one stays in prayer, it seems these emergency prayers are more quickly responded to...but if you are a stranger to the mystic, never learning the power of prayer and the trend of answer arrivals, you may never even notice when the real answer shows up...no matter HOW quickly the response!

Try again. You might get a surprise.

Cheers
    I don't think my parents have anything to do with this.

Nobody ever said prayer always delivers the outcome the individual desires...heck that would assume that a person can know always what is best for themselves and the situation, even when responding emotionally or even instinctually.

I have many stories where the only energy put into an equation was prayer, and there were solid, tangible results...which seem to have been impossibly done. But doubters need to doubt...I understand.

I know what it is to face when something I pray for very hard doesn't come to pass...say, like when my mother was sick with cancer...and while critics will claim my prayer failed, they will not be able to understand the deep and powerful way it was answered. The day she died.

The prayer energy opened up an avenue which provided amazing things to buffer the pain of that loss...which continues to this day, many years later.

But the prayer wasn't answered...surely some will say. Everyone dies. I am not the one who gets to dictate when or where...and none of you are, either. And none of us always gets everything we want...that would be a silly and sick world if that happened.

Sincerely,
    John
    I hope you've found what you're looking for and you're at peace with it, even if I disagree.

Quote Originally Posted by Ststannies View Post
    Dear "Noise", That's exactly what your response is, noise. "prayer" is a concept that the churches use when they themselves are preying on the weak.......you may as well be wishing upon a star.
    Wait...what?

Lot of anger in this thread. This is a case where if they had not prayed they would probably be dead. They converted the criminal. It may not be a tool that always works, but it worked in this case.

This is not the place to get into an in-depth theological discussion but even a cursory study of scripture [[old and and new testament) speaks to prayers answered, AND prayers not answered and distinctions between those who call out to God only when they need or want etc, and prayers from the faithful, etc.

Indeed there are variables, such as cases where a person did not pray and was harmed, or someone prayers not answered or answered in an oblique manner. These are spiritual things, improbable or even stupid and useless on the surface to some. Discerned to some extent 'spiritually' as well as from the mind and intellect.

This particular article depicting the events per the survivors speaks to this particular woman's 'negotiation' with an assailant and her finding the strength to do that in prayer. It is her story - 'their' story of survival.

Quote Originally Posted by noise View Post
    And people pray they'll be cured of cancer and will be safe while driving down the road, but that doesn't seem to be the invincible armor some people would like.

Maybe this is a story because it's rare that prayer has saved a life? What is the point?
    Last edited by Zacha341; January-13-13 at 07:13 AM.

"This is not the place to get into an in-depth theological discussion"

Because?

Thank you for sharing your story G. For sure these matters are not black and white. Though there's now afoot the 'prosperity movement' name-it-and-claim-it false theology going on in some churches! A movement which ironically renders God to be a personal genie where you get what you want, exactly as you claim it.

If you don't get it something is wrong with you; you're scorned and judged... nearly parallel to the non-believer who scoffs at why a prayer did not work! Crazy.

...But the prayer wasn't answered...surely some will say. Everyone dies. I am not the one who gets to dictate when or where...and none of you are, either. And none of us always gets everything we want...that would be a silly and sick world if that happened.

Sincerely,
    John
    Last edited by Zacha341; January-13-13 at 08:00 AM.

Because A. It would completely hi-jack the thread, B. Because such a discussion [[debate) by definition and content would tend to be quite lengthy and discursive and often these types of things get out of hand in this context.

Outside of certain perimeters, theological, religious discussions CAN generate more heat than light. I'll weigh in somewhat to respond per my world view, and experience. I do that. But going back and forth, quoting scriptures, and the anticipated argumentation over the relevance of 'said' scriptures... AND or the spiritual relevance of anything, or who can really know what is right or wrong etc. ETC? It becomes a useless 'nimbus' from my observations of such interactions online. Or worse personal attacks go forth.

Nope. Not inspired to go there. You can PM me for more info relative to further insights to what has helped kept me sane, here in the D.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    "This is not the place to get into an in-depth theological discussion"

Because?
    Last edited by Zacha341; January-13-13 at 07:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    Because A. It would completely hi-jack the thread, B. Because such a discussion [[debate) by definition and content would tend to be quite lengthy and discursive and often these types of things get out of hand in this context.

Outside of certain perimeters, theological, religious discussions CAN generate more heat than light. I will weigh in per my world view, and experience. I do that. But going back and forth, quoting scriptures, and the anticipated argumentation over the relevance of 'said' scriptures... AND or the spiritual relevance of anything, or who can really know what is right or wrong? It becomes a useless 'nimbus' from my observations of such interactions online. Or worse personal attacks go forth.

Nope. Not inspired to do that here. You can PM me for more info relative to further insights relative to what has helped kept me sane, here in the D.
    Ok, Point well taken, and Thanx for your generous offer. I would label myself as a spiritual person. The problem is I see is people "praying" for a solution, and when the solution doesn't materialize, they continue praying harder. Religion, no matter which one, is only a guideline. It needs to be accompanied by hard work, both in your life and on yourself. That message seems to be lost on many. I lift Detroit by the boot straps.

I hear you. Prayer and action can be very effective as well!

"Faith without works is dead" [[James 2:26)

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Ok, Point well taken, and Thanx for your generous offer. I would label myself as a spiritual person. The problem is I see is people "praying" for a solution, and when the solution doesn't materialize, they continue praying harder. Religion, no matter which one, is only a guideline. It needs to be accompanied by hard work, both in your life and on yourself. That message seems to be lost on many. I lift Detroit by the boot straps.

I hear you. Prayer and action can be very effective as well!

"Faith without works is dead" [[James 2:26)
    It is impossible to pray for idols and hope to reach God. True prayer must avoid the pitfall of asking to entreat. Ask, rather, to receive what is already given; to accept what is already there.

The secret of true prayer is to forget the things you think you need.

Also in the same way, in prayer you Praying to Christ in anyone is true prayer because it is a gift of thanks to His Father. To ask that Christ be but Himself is not an entreaty. It is a song of thanksgiving for what you are. Herein lies the power of prayer. It asks nothing and receives everything.This prayer can be shared because it receives for everyone. To pray with one who knows that this is true is to be answered. Perhaps the specific form of resolution for a specific problem will occur to either of you; it does not matter which. Perhaps it will reach both, if you are genuinely attuned to one another. It will come because you have realized that Christ is in both of you. That is its only truth.

-ACIM

This is not the place to get into an in-depth theological discussion but even a cursory study of scripture [[old and and new testament) speaks to prayers answered, AND prayers not answered and distinctions between those who call out to God only when they need or want etc, and prayers from the faithful, etc.

Indeed there are variables, such as cases where a person did not pray and was harmed, or someone prayers not answered or answered in an oblique manner. These are spiritual things, improbable or even stupid and useless on the surface to some. Discerned to some extent 'spiritually' as well as from the mind and intellect.

This particular article depicting the events per the survivors speaks to this particular woman's 'negotiation' with an assailant and her finding the strength to do that in prayer. It is her story - 'their' story of survival.
    Even a cursory study of Dr. Seuss speaks to the existence of The Grinch, The Lorax, and The Cat in the Hat.

How embarrassing for you. You must not have noticed I used the quote feature in every post I've made in this thread.
    Not embarrassed at all. If you are responding to the second post in this thread why not use the quote feature?!? You are an overly smug person. You must think you're pretty amazing. Overcompensating much?

LOL! Thanks for concisely proving my point as to why I take care to avoid debating such matters 'uselessly'.

Even a cursory study of Dr. Seuss speaks to the existence of The Grinch, The Lorax, and The Cat in the Hat.

Last edited by Zacha341; January-16-13 at 05:41 AM.

Sorry to interrupt but is this the perp ?

http://www.freep.com/article/2013011...yssey=obinsite

No mention of the prayer aspect so I am not sure, if it is or even if not I am glad they got him quickly but maybe a bit sad that karma did not first with a Mack truck falling from the sky,or at the very least take him out back for a bit.

Believing in prayer or not if that is what it takes for these young ladies to be able to put this all behind them and not destroy the rest of their life,I wish them godspeed.

CY for CC 2013
    Last edited by Richard; January-15-13 at 09:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Crumbled_pavement View Post
    What's up with all the rapings lately? It's like it's not enough to get some money, these dudes have to leave everlasting scars as well.
    This is what I was wondering. Somehow I accidentally stumbled into a church session.

Quote Originally Posted by Islandman View Post
    Not embarrassed at all. If you are responding to the second post in this thread why not use the quote feature?!? You are an overly smug person. You must think you're pretty amazing. Overcompensating much?
    I'm smug about your accusatory tone, based completely on idiocy.

If you follow the string, I clearly did quote the 2nd post in the thread. In my first post of this thread. Post #4.

There was a conversation. You jumped in the middle and opened your loud mouth. Go back and read. Follow along.

LOL! Thanks for concisely proving my point as to why I take care to avoid debating such matters 'uselessly'.
    I don't care about your point or your unwillingness to post about certain topics. I don't find your posts particularly interesting and as such, I'm not interested in "debating" whatever it is you find "useful".

Put me on ignore option - ignore my posts. Problem solved. Have a grand day.

I don't care about your point or your unwillingness to post about certain topics. I don't find your posts particularly interesting and as such, I'm not interested in "debating" whatever it is you find "useful".

Well stated MZMT. A concept to consider indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by MizMotown View Post
    The secret of true prayer is to forget the things you think you need.

Not sure why the uptick in rapings lately - it is but another expression of violence and hate. Since it's up women must be more vigilant to not become marks. Don't want to carry a gun [[and I understand that is not for everyone), then get a can of wasp spray and keep that in car. Keep mobile phone charged. Always have a motor club [[Allstate is what I use for towing or lock out service) to call should your car break down.

Keep gas tank full, tires checked. Stay in your car and do not allow any stranger to 'help' you. If the police stop you ask to see their badge and look at it carefully.

Quote Originally Posted by Crumbled_pavement View Post
    What's up with all the rapings lately? It's like it's not enough to get some money, these dudes have to leave everlasting scars as well.
    Last edited by Zacha341; January-16-13 at 10:14 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast