Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Hybrid View

Only if the current situation of the city lets it be. Like all plans, this is dependent upon city leaders to be diligent in implmenting it, and citizens holding these leaders accontable when they don't. And that is all contigent upon residents and leaders, alike, buying in to begin with. So, I guess it waits to be seen. Detroit Works is easily one of the most comprehensive municipal plans the city has ever seen; it may even be the most comprehensive.

Truth is that for as comprehensive the plan is, a lot of its going to happen, regardless, because a lot of it has already happened. A lot of the city has already downsized...naturally. What I'm very glad to see right up front is that the media is reporting that things formerly - and often still - viewed as liabilities are viewed as strengths. This isn't JUST about "right-sizing" but also growing the existing good. I think that part of its really needs to be highlighted, because I shared the criticism of many Detroiters that there was originally too much focus of essentially shutting the city down. I like that the new plan, for instance, includes a new ring road outside Grand Boulevard with BRT on it to connecting existing healthy nodes in the out-city neighborhoods. This isn't only about death, but rebirth as well.

My worry is that the plan is going to be lost given that the fiscal situation, stand-off with the state, and upcoming municipal election is going overshadow this, and not only that, but the attention on the security situation in the city and turn-over from all of the cuts. Institutional memory is important, but in a city where your job could be gone, tomorrow, it's hard to keep.

The irony is that if the plan is focused on, instead, you begin to adress
    solving a lot of the existing issues. It's why this plan should be a central issue in every council race and in the mayoral race.
    Last edited by Dexlin; January-09-13 at 09:08 AM.