Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Page 15 of 22 FirstFirst ... 5 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... LastLast

Is this a trap game Sunday?

Quote Originally Posted by Thruster315 View Post
    Schwartz' hot headedness is becoming a bit of a distraction. I don't want to brow beat the poor guy because he's got decisions to make on every play at every juncture of the game, but he really needs to check that temper. He very well could've defended his decision by admitting to making it. I respect his right to make the call. None of us have to agree with it, but when questioned about it- just own it. It didn't work.

Lead this team by making smart, calm, cool and educated decisions. I think we fans can forgive him for taking a shot with a trick play- but don't be a prick afterwards. He keeps this hot headed tantrum tossing up and the players might revolt on him before us fans do.
    Good points. I'm leery of Schwartz anyway, as I feel he has cost the Lions a couple of games these past 2 seasons with his suspect play-calling. He has however got the Lions to cut down on the bone-headed penalties to some degree at crucial times during the game. Hope I haven't spoken too soon.
    Last edited by Cincinnati_Kid; November-22-13 at 11:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    Good points. I'm leery of Schwartz anyway, as I feel he has cost the Lions a couple of games these past 2 seasons with his suspect play-calling. He has however got the Lions to cut down on the bone-headed penalties to some degree at crucial times during the game. Hope I haven't spoken too soon.
    Y'kniw what? I'm resolved in the fact that I think Schwartz is a pretty bright guy when it comes to certain things- and then on other things, he could really use some improvement. I'm just gonna accept the fact that- like it or not, he's a rookie coach. He's going to make mistakes in judgement. He's gonna poop the bed from time to time. Ain't no way around it. He's learning on the fly with our team.

At times I know that some of his decisions are going to be ass backwards and really unorthodox but he's the dude charged with those decisions. He gets paid pretty damn well for that sort of responsibility; the rest of us here are armchair Monday morning coaches at best. I'm not praising or admiring the guy because he chose to accept that role, praise and arrows come with that position.

My hope, as a fan is that he learns quickly and is smart enough to filter through all of the bullsh!t to make the right & critical calls with our team. He's got to make snap decisions just like the players on the field at times. One wrong call and he's going to get torched. Off the field he seems to have done right so far. He rarely produces stupid sound bytes like some of his predecessors although I get the feeling he's probably not the nicest of folks with the beat writers. And I'm okay with that. I'm sure the writers can be a pain in the ass but he doesn't have to serve them.

The Lions have always had an innate ability to find a way to lose no matter what.

I thought the "Knockout Game Is In Town" was a Lion's thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Downriviera View Post
    I thought the "Knockout Game Is In Town" was a Lion's thread.

It's on me. I got tickets to the game and went today. I effed it up by not staying at home and cheering them on. I lost the game for the team. I take the blame.

I've never been to a game where it felt more like a funeral at Ford Field. Where we were the 12th man on the field, I've never heard the Lions faithful so quiet today.

This was one of those games that if I wanted to, who do I pin the blame on?

And it wasn't even as devastating as the Pittsburgh game where one could point to a few select plays that could've altered the outcome of the game. There were multiple culprits if you will for this loss. And for whatever reason the football gods have still deemed us worthy to be in first place in this division. Chicago choked a chance away and Green Bay couldn't make up any ground with their poor tie to the Vikings.

This team truly is based upon its superstars in Stafford & Johnson today. When those two don't him, this team is lucky to win. And even with those two working in harmony, there are so many lapses on this team- we need luck to win. Let's not take anything away from Tampa Bay either; they were a team that took it to the mighty Seahawks a few weeks back and nearly beat them. The opponents aren't patsies- NONE of them are in the NFL despite what their records say.

It's going to have to stew with me before I can even accurately digest this game and break it down here.

The Lions had a great opportunity to put space between them and the Packers and Bears. The Bears lost and the Packers tied with Minnesota. The only way they make the playoffs is to win the division. They are in a dog-fight with too many other teams to get in via the wild-card. These last two losses I feel have done them in. They already have a worse record than Arizona, Carolina and the 49ers and are tied with the Eagles and maybe the Cowboys after today's game. Not looking good. All these local radio broadcasters are talking about how great Stafford is, but I don't buy it. Two of those four picks weren't his fault because of deflections, but the other two he threw them right into coverage.
    Last edited by Cincinnati_Kid; November-24-13 at 07:44 PM.

Another stupid loss for Detroit Lions against a stupid Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

Dammit dammit dammit.. not only does the Lions loss sting but I also find myself agreeing with Drew Sharp that the Lions lost our trust with this game. Not taking squat away from an opportunistic Tampa Bay team but we let this one slip away.

How else does one explain the Durham spin-o-rama fumble or the Calvin Johnson moment at the end of the game? We [[along with every other pundit & Vegas oddsmakers) choked on this one when we predicted a clear cut double digit victory. Instead we're gnawing on crow.

Yeah it was great fun to be at the game but it left me feeling like I had just ate bad pepperoni. It was tough to digest and left a lingering taste.

I could not watch the game as I was traveling and had to resort to my with reading the freep blog while I drove. Hence I was saved from the angst most felt while watching. Lucky me.

tomorrow's game against GB is indeed one of those season defining games. Drew Sharp and Thruster were telling the truth when they said the Lions have lost our trust. I have felt letdown and frustrated by the boys in blue and silver. Linehan seems one part genius and two parts doofus. Stafford has blinders and is reckless. The receiving corp can't catch a cold, the D stands for dingus, and Special Teams all ride the short bus.

they have got a game to prove they don't suck. That their potential is real. That trust, like respect, is earned.

I walked into the StubHub office at 1:20pm and walked out with two free tickets. No shit.

Our lions opened a can this afternoon which makes me ever madder about the loses.

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    I walked into the StubHub office at 1:20pm and walked out with two free tickets. No shit.

Our lions opened a can this afternoon which makes me ever madder about the loses.
    gnome, you lucky beast you!

I was trying to get the family bird a going when the game was afoot. I'm glad you went, did the right thing as opposed to me showing up and the souring the punch.

It made the bird that much more tasty knowing our Lions ran over the Packers. I'm not even so sure if Aaron Rodgers were in there, they still wouldn't have been annihilated. What lost the game for the Packers was their weak defensive play. Bush & Bell ran over those guys and we just beat them on both sides of the trenches.

It was really nice to see our defensive front four step up and beat down the Packers. Whether they took that bulletin board material to heart of not, they took Flynn & Company to the woodshed and laid down a beating.

Yes, the Lions won in a lopsided score.

Yes, the Lions offensively dialed it up when they needed to.

Yes, the Lions defensively were stingy and outright nasty.

Yes, the Lions coaching staff had this team prepared for this game.

And I'm genuinely happy that we won the game. I believe we are in control of our own destiny and we can be scary as anyone in the NFL when this team fires on all cylinders. What is genuinely scary to other teams is that this team also gave the ball away four times, posted 40 points, and won the game decidedly. Toss in two unforgivable kicks out-of-bounds as well as a missed field goal and it really is remarkable that we dominated the game as such.

Statistically we just socked it to them:

Stafford threw for 330 yards to Flynn's 139 yards.
    Lions ran for 241 yards to the Packers 24 yards.
    We sacked them 7 times compared to their one.
    Detroit had 14 first downs from the rush.
    Total yards= 561 to 126.
    Time of possession= 40:26 to 19:34.

There are plenty more if you want to scour the box scores that are so slanted our way.

Now what's going to happen from here on out from our point of view is- what Lions team will show up now? Will we get this dominant, steady, and strong team or are we going to get the befuddled & inept team that lost to the Bucs & Steelers?

We have the Philadelphia Eagles coming up next. The Ravens, the Giants, and the Vikings to end the season. I think they're all winnable IF we play with the sort of intensity we played with today. Emotionally and physically this team is capable of being dominant. I'm crossing my fingers that Schwartz & staff can keep this team focused on the immediate opponent.

Savor this victory for now, keep the sharp focus and remain disciplined. Go LIONS!

^^ You are very correct. However, if they go to Philly next week and lay a egg which they have been known to do, today's victory will be just a distant memory. They should have had this division wrapped up 2 weeks ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    ^^ You are very correct. However, if they go to Philly next week and lay a egg which they have been known to do, today's victory will be just a distant memory. They should have had this division wrapped up 2 weeks ago.
    The Lions have been known for a buttload of things from sucking royally one week and looking like Super Bowl contenders the next.

That being said, I'd put the Eagles in the same tub this year. They're not as bad as their 6-5 record says. I wouldn't put it past the Eagles to come out kicking the Lions around nor would I expect the Lions to come out and dominate like they did this week. I think they're pretty evenly matched for whatever reason.

Is there anyone out there that thinks DeAndre Levy's hit not worth of a personal foul? Are we getting ripped off on that call?? I understand that it's a kidney shaker of a hit, there was some helmet-to-helmet contact, but worthy of a personal foul? I didn't see it. I thought it was clean.

We going to get the National Flag Football League coming up soon if this keeps up?

Speaking of hits, did anyone see the Steelers'/ ex-MSU product Le'Veon Bell get clobbered at the line of scrimmage in the Baltimore/ Pittsburgh game? He looked bad, especially when his helmet got whacked off of him. What's up with helmets coming off at a rapid clip this year?

The Levy hit was clean and hard, but with the rather mushy rule it is difficult to say if it was a penalty-worthy or not. The rule is effed up and needs clarification.

if you want some fun, take a digital trip over to www.packersnews.com ... I have a habit of checking the opposing teams newspaper before a game to tap their zeitgeist. This morning I went to packersnews.com and just delighted myself with their game summations. The fan comments after the articles are especially delightful.

I sat near a few packerittes and they steadily deflated during the course of the game. I think the game was over when Suh sacked Flinn for a safety to put us ahead 26-10. You could feel their despair become anger, then excuses, then resignation.

those chhesedick's deserved it. Ha!

My favorite parts of this game:

Reggie Bush's response to his fumble. He came back like a man posessed. And that wasn't a bad fumble, he had two hands on the ball. Good play by Matthews.

The arrival of Ross.

The guy in the stands wearing a cheese grater on his head, classic.

And yes, the Levy hit was clean on replay. Ref saw it different live.

I think the Philly game is the toughest left on the schedule being that its outdoors. I think the others are winnable without the turnovers.

The guy in the stands wearing a cheese grater on his head, classic.
    I'm left wondering if that was a homemade deal or if there's a company out there selling those cheese grater hats. It's BRILLIANT!

Www.graterhead.com

interesting story about 3 bear fans from Idaho who came up with the idea and worked to get the idea patented, produced and then marketed. Story goes they showed up at Monday night football game in Green Bay v Chicago and got their mugs on the crowd cam wearing the graterheads... Google them it is a fun story.

Www.graterhead.com

interesting story about 3 bear fans from Idaho who came up with the idea and worked to get the idea patented, produced and then marketed. Story goes they showed up at Monday night football game in Green Bay v Chicago and got their mugs on the crowd cam wearing the graterheads... Google them it is a fun story.
    For a mere $40? Such a deal to fend off and piss off the Cheeseheads. I'm loving it!

But the best way to piss off Packer Nation is to do what we did to them yesterday. I'm still not sure if I'm more proud of the offense or the defense. They were both kicking ass and especially down in the trenches. I'm still going to stand by my thought that even if the Pack would've had Rodgers in there, their defense was so chockful of holes, we still would've beat them in a shootout.

And the NFL really is turning into the No Fun League. Suh getting fined again for doing a gesture now? Granted it's not that he can't afford it but I'm not so sure if this is the league fining him and perpetuating the myth that he truly is the nastiest guy around.

Www.graterhead.com

Too funny. We should make a sausage grinder hat for when Da Bears come.

Too funny. We should make a sausage grinder hat for when Da Bears come.
    I like that idea too, but what's really cool and smart about the cheese grater head is that it's in direct response to the Packer fans' choice of headgear and not so much about the team itself.

Page 15 of 22 FirstFirst ... 5 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... LastLast