Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 21 of 22 FirstFirst ... 11 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by smogboy View Post
    And before we descend into the playoffs, per Downriviera's suggestion- anyone want to adopt a remaining playoff team to cheer for and see how your further prognostication skills do?

The teams that are still in contention are:

AFC
    Denver Broncos [[13-3)
    New England Patriots [[12-4)
    Cincinnati Bengals [[11-5)
    Indianapolis Colts [[11-5)
    Kansas City Chiefs [[11-5)*
    San Diego Chargers [[9-7)*

NFC
    Seattle Seahawks [[13-3)
    Carolina Panthers [[12-4)
    Philadelphia Eagles [[10-6)
    Green Bay Packers [[8-7-1)
    San Francisco 49ers [[12-4)*
    New Orleans Saints [[11-5)*

* denotes wild card teams
    Call me the NFC Central homer here but I'm going to go with the Green Bay Packers to cheer for. No particular reason why either. They weren't impressive in their win against Chicago. Rodgers still doesn't look as though he's completely shook off that rust yet and they're a shadow of the feared Green Bay team years ago. And they have the worst record out of the bunch!

Fit me for a cheesehead temporarily as I cheer them onto mediocrity.

Another thought I had for those of you interested were if you had to vote for a Detroit Lions' Player of the Year...

Who would you vote to be the Offensive Player of the Year?
    Who would you vote to be the Defensive Player of the Year?
    Who would you vote to be the Special Teams Player of the Year?

And before you just blurt out a name and dash off to the weeds, I'd like some rationale to your decision. State why you chose them. What did they do to merit your vote? Was it one particular play that cemented your choice? Was it a body of work? Their consistency? Defend your choices!
    Damn, commissioner smoggy... you're asking the world of us here, aren'tcha? You're going to make me use neurons that I thought I washed down with my PBR weeks ago now.

Offensive Player has to be Calvin. Everything ran through him. You could tell how poorly we played without him. The schemes run through his big frame. Without him invoking some fear into the other team- we're sad.

Defense? This one's a tough one because Tulloch been a hammer. He's been stout as you can ask for in plugging the gap. But I think I'm going to go with DeAndre Levy for being just as tough and being a ball hawk this year. He's pulled a few out of the air and has been good sideline to sideline.

Special Teams Player? Sam Martin boot or Jeremy Ross for solidifying a boring ass return game... hmmmmm. I'll give it to Ross for being electrifying. He wasn't here from the start but he took over that role from Michael Spurlock and never looked back. And in this day and age where kick returns and punt returns are almost poo-pooed by the NFL, he still brings something to the party.

Good enough defense of my choices? Did I do good?

I'll vote for the Bengals for our adopted team. They've never won the Super Bowl. The city is a bit like Detroit, trying to rejuvenate their downtown, etc.

Offensive player is Dom. I've been one of his biggest critics over the years but he stepped up this year. He worked really hard in the off season and was solid for us. Never runs and hides from the reporters after tough losses.

Defense I'll go with Delmas. His knees are pretty shot, but he sucked it up and played every game.

Gotta go with Ross for Special Teams. He brought some much needed excitement to the return game and actually had teams kicking away from him at times.

My original choices were:

Offense - CJ

Defense - Levy

Seeing as those two were already mentioned, I will alter my picks.

Offense - Larry Warford

It has been a long, long time since the Lions had a guy who can road grade up the gut, get in space and pancake someone in the back 7. Hopefully, the next coach will build on this offensive physicality

Defense - Suh

His ability to take up blockers keeps the back 7 clean so that they can get clear shots to stop the run. The Lions should have forced more fumbles so the next coach or the GM needs to get players that will.

ST - Martin

The Lions went from dead last to about fifth in net punting.

Quote Originally Posted by Pickford-Bentler View Post
    My original choices were:

Offense - CJ

Defense - Levy

Seeing as those two were already mentioned, I will alter my picks.

Offense - Larry Warford

It has been a long, long time since the Lions had a guy who can road grade up the gut, get in space and pancake someone in the back 7. Hopefully, the next coach will build on this offensive physicality

Defense - Suh

His ability to take up blockers keeps the back 7 clean so that they can get clear shots to stop the run. The Lions should have forced more fumbles so the next coach or the GM needs to get players that will.

ST - Martin

The Lions went from dead last to about fifth in net punting.
    No need to alter your picks just because thruster got to his keyboard before you did. Both of you folks can agree on those picks if you want. There's plenty of room to disagree here and even more room to agree if you want.

I also think the Calvin Johnson & DeAndre Levy picks were good choices. Both of those players made solid contributions to the team when they were on the field. No shame in picking those two players.

Quote Originally Posted by Thruster315 View Post
    Good enough defense of my choices? Did I do good?
    Just because I'm the guy that got appointed this gig doesn't mean I need to bless or moderate your posts. You did fine with your picks as far as I'm concerned- not that I had a hand in nudging you one way or another.

I come across in this post and see that long article.I never see the lion in reality and get curiosity about that rare animal.Like i first see the wigs for white women.I get amazed at the fashionable style of that.

Offensive Player of the Year? CJ no doubt. Playing with a bum knee and still putting up impressive numbers when at times he was only targeted 3-4 times in some games.

Defensive Player of the Year? I like Tulloch quite a bit. But Levy put in a great year. Without him the Lions would have lost more games.

Special Teams? Geez, Martin is a good punter but he also cost us a game. I'm going with Ross. A kick return TD and apunt return TD in the same game?! It hadn't been done for the Lions since I think the 1970s.

Rookie? Warford.

Sad that Lewand and Mayhew are there still. Lewand has been there 19 years and with that only 1 playoff win. Too coincidental?
    People are giving Mayhew a pass fro his draft picks. But let's not froget the Lions brought in Xanders last year and low and behold...good late round draft picks. Just let Mayhew go and promote Xanders.

Now about coaches.....and if anyone brings up a former coach who hasn't done so in the last 5 years I am going to thrash them. I'm tired of hearing about J. Gruden, Parcells or Dungy et al. They are not coming back to coach and nor should they!

Quote Originally Posted by GOAT View Post
    Offensive Player of the Year? CJ no doubt. Playing with a bum knee and still putting up impressive numbers when at times he was only targeted 3-4 times in some games.

Defensive Player of the Year? I like Tulloch quite a bit. But Levy put in a great year. Without him the Lions would have lost more games.

Special Teams? Geez, Martin is a good punter but he also cost us a game. I'm going with Ross. A kick return TD and apunt return TD in the same game?! It hadn't been done for the Lions since I think the 1970s.

Rookie? Warford.

Sad that Lewand and Mayhew are there still. Lewand has been there 19 years and with that only 1 playoff win. Too coincidental?
    People are giving Mayhew a pass fro his draft picks. But let's not froget the Lions brought in Xanders last year and low and behold...good late round draft picks. Just let Mayhew go and promote Xanders.

Now about coaches.....and if anyone brings up a former coach who hasn't done so in the last 5 years I am going to thrash them. I'm tired of hearing about J. Gruden, Parcells or Dungy et al. They are not coming back to coach and nor should they!
    Well said GOAT. Great choices for the year end awards.

I couldn't agree with you more about hiring the coaches that have no inclination to coming here. I can't see any incentive for those people to leave their current positions to come coach this or any other NFL team.

And congrats on winning the pre-season picks with your prediction of 7-9. Well done!

2 years in a row [[big chest thump. ) I'm hoping for Whisenhunt since Lovie Smith is already picked up. And would be Caldwell and that is it! Anyone else would be a step back. So here's hoping the Lions make a right decision for once.

My adopted team the Bengals went down in flames so I'm now on the Philip Rivers Super Bowl Express.

Quote Originally Posted by GOAT View Post
    2 years in a row [[big chest thump. ) I'm hoping for Whisenhunt since Lovie Smith is already picked up. And would be Caldwell and that is it! Anyone else would be a step back. So here's hoping the Lions make a right decision for once.
    Dude- you keep this sort of noise up and I'm having you pick lottery numbers for me! Damn fine pickin's!

Quote Originally Posted by Downriviera View Post
    My adopted team the Bengals went down in flames so I'm now on the Philip Rivers Super Bowl Express.
    You can't pull for Rivers now! We need the Chargers to lose so our Lions can officially sign Ken Whisenhunt. If it's truly who they want, let's get it done with so we can start moving forward.

You can't pull for Rivers now! We need the Chargers to lose so our Lions can officially sign Ken Whisenhunt. If it's truly who they want, let's get it done with so we can start moving forward.
    I don't get all the Whisenhunt hype. He has a losing NFL record [[45-51)[[469 winning percentage) So he took the Cardinals to the SB which they lost, and in 2012 Arizona started out 4-0 then preceded to lose 9 straight games and 11 out of their last 12, and the last loss was a 58-0 blowout at Seattle. Since the SB season in 08, his teams have had a 7 game losing streak in 2010 and a 6 gamer in 2011. Sound familiar doesn't it? Jim Caldwell and others are just as viable as candidates. I'm not impressed.
    Last edited by Cincinnati_Kid; January-11-14 at 04:00 PM.

After listening to all of the hype and sifting through a chunk of the rhetoric, I wouldn't mind Caldwell as the head coach AND Whisenhunt as the Offensive Coordinator. I'm fine with Gunther Cunningham as the Defensive guru still; he did well last year and seemed to be respected and liked by the players.

I like Caldwell's calmer approach and Whisenhunt's handling of the QBs. He seems to have a track record of doing wonders with them.

This could be our version of Lovie Smith/ Leslie Frazier- the best of possibly two worlds.

Thoughts???

The only person I don't want here now is Mike Munchak and the only reason is he's got the devil's initials here. Say no to MM people with this team. The only MM we have left is Martin Mayhew and the jury's out on him too. We've already had two other dumbasses with the MM initials and we don't need to re-visit that tripe.

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    I don't get all the Whisenhunt hype. He has a losing NFL record [[45-51)[[469 winning percentage) So he took the Cardinals to the SB which they lost, and in 2012 Arizona started out 4-0 then preceded to lose 9 straight games and 11 out of their last 12, and the last loss was a 58-0 blowout at Seattle. Since the SB season in 08, his teams have had a 7 game losing streak in 2010 and a 6 gamer in 2011. Sound familiar doesn't it? Jim Caldwell and others are just as viable as candidates. I'm not impressed.
    You got your wish. Caldwell it is.

And if he's supposedly the QB guru that got Peyton Manning on track, I'm not gonna bitch.

I'll be the first slappie to bitch that he's not the firebrand on the sidelines like a Schwartz. He's been known to be a disciplinarian and kind of a stiff.

So he's not sexy and he doesn't have the iron now like a Whiz or a Cowher but let's see how he does. Caldwell's resume isn't that bad- nor is it that great. If Caldwell is going to be better than Schwartz, the players have to buy into him big time.

You got your wish. Caldwell it is.

And if he's supposedly the QB guru that got Peyton Manning on track, I'm not gonna bitch.

I'll be the first slappie to bitch that he's not the firebrand on the sidelines like a Schwartz. He's been known to be a disciplinarian and kind of a stiff.

So he's not sexy and he doesn't have the iron now like a Whiz or a Cowher but let's see how he does. Caldwell's resume isn't that bad- nor is it that great. If Caldwell is going to be better than Schwartz, the players have to buy into him big time.

I wasn't necessarily pulling for Caldwell. I was merely stating that the local media here was looking at Whisenhunt like he was some kind of messiah, and Whisenhunt was perceived to be the best of the group, when his record speaks for itself. I hope it works out for Caldwell, and he takes the Lions to the next level, however judging by the fans, he wasn't their choice.

I wasn't necessarily pulling for Caldwell. I was merely stating that the local media here was looking at Whisenhunt like he was some kind of messiah, and Whisenhunt was perceived to be the best of the group, when his record speaks for itself. I hope it works out for Caldwell, and he takes the Lions to the next level, however judging by the fans, he wasn't their choice.
    Some media outlet had pointed out that as passionate as some fans are, their choices for a head coach might not always be the most prudent or wise one for the team.

While I think Caldwell will do very well for the team, his main concern needs to be with Matthew Stafford. He needs to reign him in a bit and channel his gunslinger mentality. We all know of his arm strength but Stafford needs to make smarter decisions. And judging from Caldwell's work with Manning and Flacco [[although Flacco regressed this season), I will remain optimistic.

What will be critical is how his new offensive coordinator Bill Lazor and his Defensive coordinator Teryl Austin are going to work out. Are they going to dictate the calls or are they going to make suggestions to Caldwell on the sidelines- and Caldwell makes the final call selection? How these three work will be critical. And what is going to happen to Gunther Cunningham? Does he still have a place with the team?

I'm okay with the pick of Caldwell for coach. I think that a calm demeanor is going to serve the Lions better than the emotional and sometimes irrational Jim Schwartz. While thruster called him a stiff, I think it's just a different way of showing leadership skills. One doesn't always have to be ranting, raving and screaming in order to get results from his team. I like Caldwell's seasoning; he's been a head coach before and he's been to multiple Super Bowls so he knows the pressure cooker that an NFL team can be.
    Last edited by smogboy; January-14-14 at 07:14 PM.

I wouldn't mind Caldwell as the head coach AND Whisenhunt as the Offensive Coordinator.
    Interesting premise although that's obviously not going to happen now.

Interesting premise although that's obviously not going to happen now.
    I'm okay with it. I'm curious as to all of this linking of Caldwell to Dungy- like Tony Dungy was some football messiah as well. Sure, there's a connection because they worked together but that doesn't always translate. Hell, look at Schwartz and his connections to a guy like Belichick- it didn't do him any good here. Quit with the connecting the dots to greatness or assumed greatness.

I could care less if Jim Caldwell knew Jesus on a first name basis. I'll be blunt and speak on behalf of ALL Lions fans- we just want effin' results. Win us some games, win a playoff game and maybe... just maybe get us a step closer to the big dance.

The entire process of the search for our new head coach was odd to me. First you have all the commentators saying that this was the best of all the openings. They said the team had a lot of talent. But at 7-9, you are what your record says you are. To me the record showed a distinct lack of talent. Detroit is a coaching graveyard in a bankrupt city with terrible weather. And, you have Lewand and Mayhew saying they expect to win now. Not good options for someone, as Whisenhunt and Lovey Smith decided.

Never the less, I'll back the new guy and I'm getting excited for next season. Looking forward to Smogboy starting the official new thread so we can start concentrating on the draft. Go Lions!

Quote Originally Posted by Downriviera View Post
    The entire process of the search for our new head coach was odd to me. First you have all the commentators saying that this was the best of all the openings. They said the team had a lot of talent. But at 7-9, you are what your record says you are. To me the record showed a distinct lack of talent. Detroit is a coaching graveyard in a bankrupt city with terrible weather. And, you have Lewand and Mayhew saying they expect to win now. Not good options for someone, as Whisenhunt and Lovey Smith decided.

Never the less, I'll back the new guy and I'm getting excited for next season. Looking forward to Smogboy starting the official new thread so we can start concentrating on the draft. Go Lions!
    Good points. Whisenhunt said at his presser that he doesn't like the Midwest's winters and that factored in his decision. Wifey probably said she doesn't want to live in the Detroit area. Also, he probably looked at the division the Titans are in and deemed it as the easier division to compete in than the NFC North. The only team that is good in the AFC South is the Colts.
    Last edited by Cincinnati_Kid; January-15-14 at 10:10 AM.

Good points. Whisenhunt said at his presser that he doesn't like the Midwest's winters and that factored in his decision. Wifey probably said she doesn't want to live in the Detroit area. Also, he probably looked at the division the Titans are in and deemed it as the easier division to compete in than the NFC North. The only team that is good in the AFC South is the Colts.
    Whisenhunt's time at Vanderbilt probably gave him a little bit more familiarity with the Nashville area. And he probably has a little more say in how the Titans are going to be led. Here in Detroit, like it or not- the next coach has to play the likes of Stafford, Johnson, Bush & Suh. Not a bad proposition but the Titans situation is so in flux Whisenhunt can affect a bigger change down there. He has more flexibility and can imprint his choice of players. I'm sure he'll have a stronger hand in the draft there where as here in Detroit, we're a touch higher up in the talent pool and we're also a little bit more strapped in the salary cap. Our team's outlook is nice with current players but for someone who really wants to make his mark as a head coach, I can see how the Titans' job can be more rewarding in the long term.

That's not to say the Detroit job is horrible either. We have some All-Pro caliber talent now with some very good upside on things like the offensive and defensive lines. We have an owner [[love him or hate him for it) who will continue to toss money at this team and does not get into the daily on-the-field management; he doesn't meddle.

There are only so many head coaching jobs in the NFL. It's got to be an honor as well as an absolute grind having to manage all of those coordinators, staff and players. I'm sure during a typical 16 week season, it just must be an ordeal physically and mentally to prepare for game day.

Page 21 of 22 FirstFirst ... 11 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 LastLast