Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 20 of 22 FirstFirst ... 10 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Downriviera View Post
    Amen Brother Thruster. Great post.
    Thanks for the support, Downriviera.

I don't have a problem talking about what ails this team. Lord knows there's a barrel full of reasons why this team can't get over the hump and be a contender. Want to pull one of them out of that barrel and discuss? By all means- let's bat it back and forth. Bring on the intelligent discourse.

Hell, I'm liable to agree with you.

But for those who claim to hate this team and have sworn the Lions off for good- I'm not buying it. The ones that are truly hanging it up on the Lions are gone. They're not going to waste their time and effort to write or talk about this team. We'll never hear from them again; they've shut the door to this horrid chapter of their lives. Only the people that care write and discuss this team.

If I disagree with you, that's okay too. We can all have different opinions on this team. You don't have to agree with me, Downriviera, gnome, smogboy, GOAT, or any of the other regulars on this thread- but dammit all, bring something good to the table to discuss. Bursting onto this thread stating the "Lions Suck" and bolting off without as any rationale or evidence to support that cheap ass statement shows nothing. If you truly believe they suck- let's hear why. Let's hear how you think they can be improved. Put some damn meat on the bones of your opinion. Hit & run comments hold no water with me. Those sort of comments are about as flimsy as hooker's underwear.

We seem to have a damn good bunch of people posting here somewhat regularly. Smogboy has seem to do a pretty damn good job keeping things intact and steering the ship away from mindless bitching.

And as much as I bitch about this rag tag team of misfits, you know damn well I still care for this team. The faces may come and go but put on those colors and I'll cheer them on. It isn't always easy but again- they're our damned Detroit Lions. You're not going to see me cheering for the Jets, Dolphins, or some other team I have no emotional commitment to. I wasn't born there. I wasn't raised there. I barely know the history of some of those franchises. Why should I care?

This is about my team- my Detroit Lions. Dammit all.

Lets have some fun. Now that the Lion's are done, how bout we adopt a team for us to cheer on for the playoffs. All the regulars here, those who made pre-season predictions, should nominate a team. Give us your reason for the pick. We'll all cheer on the team with the most nominations, and we can keep the discussion going here on our adopted team, along with continuing to lament our home team. Gotta wait till the end of the season to see whose in. If Dallas squeaks in, nobody pick them ok. lol

And yeah, I'll play along with this game as soon as the season ends. Lord knows my pre-season pick for the Lions died a spontaneous death a few weeks back already.

Quote Originally Posted by smogboy View Post
    Please linger around. You've posted some very sharp views of this team without the emotional weight that some folks have tossed around. You bring up good points and have smart opinions. We'd love to have you be a regular here. Keep an eye out for the 2014 Detroit Lions thread after this season's done with and get ready to discuss the Draft, predictions and other things related to this darling team that we love to follow.
    Thanks, I will do that.

Quote Originally Posted by Thruster315 View Post
    This is about my team- my Detroit Lions. Dammit all.
    And thank you for being passionate about this team.

Ultimately I think that's something really unique about this Detroit team. There are plenty of Tigers, Red Wings and Pistons fans out there but there's something really special about the passion that people have for the Lions. It's undying and about as passionate as it gets.

We all know that the other three teams have won championships and have had some pretty killer parades in their honor. And maybe it's because this team has suffered so much, but I think we loyal Lions fans are still waiting for that day we get a championship. This city would come unhinged when we win the Super Bowl.

We still hold out hope, cheer loudly every week, and can come here to discuss.

Anyone want to take a shot at predicting the last game of the year? On one hand we have our spiraling Lions playing for pride [[no pun intended) and the Vikings playing their last game in their arena. This is the tale of two teams trending in opposite directions. Anyone want to make a prediction??

This city would come unhinged when we win the Super Bowl.
    A true Lions hopeful here. Noticed how smoggy said WHEN and not if.

The Lion's did not respond well to pressure games. It will be interesting to see how they play with no real pressure. I'm looking for a good hard fought division game, but with all our injuries I think the Vikes take it in a close one. Really looking forward to the two win or go home games with Bears/Packers and Eagles/Cowboys.

Really looking forward to the two win or go home games with Bears/Packers and Eagles/Cowboys.
    Over in the AFC, they could conceivably end up in a five way tie for the last playoff spot with five teams at 8-8.

He doesn't know how - then he should sell the team. Monahan knew when to leave town and sold the Tigers. But Ford stayed.

We could do helluva lot worse as owner Are you serious? if you read any national press, he is among the worst owners in the history of professional sports[[ Donald Sterling of Clippers only other one I can think of).

I don't hate this team. I am waiting for new owner. It will happen in my lifetime, I just feel bad for all the fans since 1957 who've had to suffer

Have the Lions ever attempted to put together a "superbowl shuffle" song? Heh.

Last half time rant of this season:

This has got to be one of the most anti-climatic first halves ever. It was about as bad as the second class announcers Fox sent to cover this game. It's about as exciting as watching kitty litter settle.

Quote Originally Posted by mjb3 View Post
    He doesn't know how - then he should sell the team. Monahan knew when to leave town and sold the Tigers. But Ford stayed.
    If you're making money with your business, would you sell?? I'm not saying the team wouldn't do better but if you look at it from his point of view- seriously, would you sell the golden goose?

Quote Originally Posted by mjb3 View Post
    We could do helluva lot worse as owner Are you serious? if you read any national press, he is among the worst owners in the history of professional sports[[ Donald Sterling of Clippers only other one I can think of).
    I'll toss in a Jerry Jones and Daniel Snyder and keep it within the football discussion and give you much worse. Before that, let's also mention Al Davis. They are by far worse than Ford. To Ford's credit, he doesn't meddle with his team's daily happenings. Do we want an owner that tinkers with this team and really has no football knowledge other than what's fed to him by his yes men? Be careful what you ask for because it could always be worse.

While I'll concede those teams have won ages ago, it's probably not because of the respective owners.

If you're making money with your business, would you sell?? I'm not saying the team wouldn't do better but if you look at it from his point of view- seriously, would you sell the golden goose?

I'll toss in a Jerry Jones and Daniel Snyder and keep it within the football discussion and give you much worse. Before that, let's also mention Al Davis. They are by far worse than Ford. To Ford's credit, he doesn't meddle with his team's daily happenings. Do we want an owner that tinkers with this team and really has no football knowledge other than what's fed to him by his yes men? Be careful what you ask for because it could always be worse.

While I'll concede those teams have won ages ago, it's probably not because of the respective owners.
    One of my biggest fears if William Clay Ford were to sell the team to someone else is that the new owners would take this team to Los Angeles or some other NFL starved place that's willing to court the new owners with a big new shiny stadium, revenue sharing and all of the bells & whistles that a robust city can offer.

I guess that would end all of the complaints about this team. We simply wouldn't have an NFL franchise any more and is that what we really want?

My sincere hope is that the elder Ford steps back and let's Bill Jr. run this team. He seems a little more in tune with the fans and isn't afraid to speak his praises and criticisms of this team. Bill Jr. also seems committed to the city of Detroit and that bodes well for us die hard fans.

I think it's hilarious when people talk about ownership like they are the reason a team is losing. Unless you have an owner who is constantly meddling or is unwilling to spend money on payroll when it obviously has the revenues, it comes down to hiring the right GM and good, experienced ones are seldom available. Ilitch is currently a great owner, but if that's true, why didn't he want to win with the Tigers the first 14 years he owned the team?

Who can I cheer for anymore? When I was at WSU in the 60's nobody could ever even seem to find the Tartars' field. Moving later to Chicago, the Bears were eminently supportable in '85 but couldn't keep the momentum going. Thence to SF, where the 49ers were mostly good, albeit with a few stumbles. Now, retired and living in Ann Arbor, after 35 years out of state, I thought the town's college team might afford some satisfaction. No such luck, and the Lions of my grade school memories still bear Bobby Layne's curse. Alas, the 49ers will be my default favorites forever, and at least my Bay Area friends and relatives will usually be in good spirits when I visit and watch the games with them, except for one rebel nephew, a Raiders fan!

I think the main problem with ownership is that they don't know how to pick the GM who is going to pick the people to run the football operation. Mayhew wanted to fire Schwartz last year but because of the dumb contract extension that management gave him it would have cost too much money to buy him out. Mayhew has given Schwartz some talent to work with and I think if they let him do his job the Lions would be much better off

I predicted eight wins. I was wrong. Still haven't lost my youthful optimism, at my advanced age. They might win nine next year.

Last half time rant of this season:

This has got to be one of the most anti-climatic first halves ever. It was about as bad as the second class announcers Fox sent to cover this game. It's about as exciting as watching kitty litter settle.
    The announcers were for sure second class, but how did this game rate the hottest sideline reporter in Charissa Thompson. Just the chance of getting a glimpse of her kept me tuned in to this game.

Think the Ford's will rehire Matt Millen as GM.......

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    I think it's hilarious when people talk about ownership like they are the reason a team is losing. Unless you have an owner who is constantly meddling or is unwilling to spend money on payroll when it obviously has the revenues, it comes down to hiring the right GM and good, experienced ones are seldom available. Ilitch is currently a great owner, but if that's true, why didn't he want to win with the Tigers the first 14 years he owned the team?
    Winning in professional sports is an unreal and daunting task. One has to have all of the stars & moons in alignment to win. All it takes is one flub, miscommunication, slump, or injury to screw the pooch. The Ilitch owned Tigers is a perfect metaphor for this. They have the talent but they can't win it all. The Ilitch owned Red Wings back in the day were an ongoing monolith; they were especially scary in the pre-cap era and still have some potency in this post salary cap era.

One of my biggest fears if William Clay Ford were to sell the team to someone else is that the new owners would take this team to Los Angeles or some other NFL starved place that's willing to court the new owners with a big new shiny stadium, revenue sharing and all of the bells & whistles that a robust city can offer.

I guess that would end all of the complaints about this team. We simply wouldn't have an NFL franchise any more and is that what we really want?

My sincere hope is that the elder Ford steps back and let's Bill Jr. run this team. He seems a little more in tune with the fans and isn't afraid to speak his praises and criticisms of this team. Bill Jr. also seems committed to the city of Detroit and that bodes well for us die hard fans.
    It's sad to hear that there are some people out there willing to ship this team out of town and be without an NFL franchise for however long. Have people forgotten what Art Modell did with the Browns in moving them to Baltimore? That was a stab into the Cleveland fans' heart. For almost four years- those poor NFL diehards had no one to cheer for. The Dog Pound was empty for the longest time. Is that what we want?

The announcers were for sure second class, but how did this game rate the hottest sideline reporter in Charissa Thompson. Just the chance of getting a glimpse of her kept me tuned in to this game.
    You know it's a sad sack game when the sideline announcer is the best thing about the game.

And I couldn't agree with you more. She's pretty decent visual stimulation and somewhat knowledgeable too. She also knows how to get out of the way of a ball unlike poor Pam Oliver a few months back. Ouch.

So as it stands, the DetroitYes Mighty Lions Pre-season predictions:

Gnome: 9-7
    GOAT: 7-9
    rb336: 11-5
    Downriviera: 10-6
    firstandten: 7-9
    thruster315: 9-7
    7miledog: 12-4
    jefferson78: 6-10
    Gushi1124: 11-5
    smogboy: 8-8

Needless to say I'd say we're all fans of this team. None of us thought we'd repeat last season's dismal 4-12 record. Everyone thought we'd improve based upon the predictions here; to what degree we all had varied opinions.

The most optimistic prediction was 7miledog's with a 12-4 prediction and the most pessimistic prediction was GOAT's & firstandten's 7-9. Based upon the toughness of their schedule 7-9 isn't a bad bet, but this is also the NFL where parity amongst teams exists too. Generally there aren't too many blowouts [[ironically I say this in light of Denver's dismantling of Baltimore the other night too) and one tipped ball or a dropped pass can humble the most talented of teams. And the oh-so-unfortunate injury bug can hit anyone too.

We shall see. It should be an exciting season ahead. Go Lions!!!
    So without any further delay, the proud winners of this season mighty predictions go to GOAT and firstandten for their accurate call of a 7-9 record by our Detroit Lions.

Hats off to them for their prognostication skills. Whether it was a hunch, they listened to their turbans, bunions, magic crystals, lucky rabbit's foot, scattered runes, read their tea leaves or whatever method they used- they are this year's set in stone winners. Congratulations to the both of them!

We'll return soon next season's picks in the 2014 Detroit Lions thread. It'll be a long off season for this team we're so devoted to. Let's see what happens with the coaching staff, free agency, the draft, and how things shake down.

And before we descend into the playoffs, per Downriviera's suggestion- anyone want to adopt a remaining playoff team to cheer for and see how your further prognostication skills do?

The teams that are still in contention are:

AFC
    Denver Broncos [[13-3)
    New England Patriots [[12-4)
    Cincinnati Bengals [[11-5)
    Indianapolis Colts [[11-5)
    Kansas City Chiefs [[11-5)*
    San Diego Chargers [[9-7)*

NFC
    Seattle Seahawks [[13-3)
    Carolina Panthers [[12-4)
    Philadelphia Eagles [[10-6)
    Green Bay Packers [[8-7-1)
    San Francisco 49ers [[12-4)*
    New Orleans Saints [[11-5)*

* denotes wild card teams
    Last edited by smogboy; December-30-13 at 02:50 AM.

Another thought I had for those of you interested were if you had to vote for a Detroit Lions' Player of the Year...

Who would you vote to be the Offensive Player of the Year?
    Who would you vote to be the Defensive Player of the Year?
    Who would you vote to be the Special Teams Player of the Year?

And before you just blurt out a name and dash off to the weeds, I'd like some rationale to your decision. State why you chose them. What did they do to merit your vote? Was it one particular play that cemented your choice? Was it a body of work? Their consistency? Defend your choices!

Page 20 of 22 FirstFirst ... 10 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 LastLast