Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Hybrid View

Would you prefer a Voodoo hex as a rationale? The Curse of Bobby Layne? The SOL explanation is shorthand for what has become the M.O. For our team. For some reason they make the impossible not just possible, but probable. To think we are fans of impossible probability, that we know that at any moment long-dead inca warriors could match into Ford Field in a naked conga line singing "Inky-Dinky-Doo" and block a field goal with imaginary flaming arrows...yet we watch in horror and amazement as we see new impossibilities made real.

Maybe I'm really in the minority of in fact a lone wolf here. And I certainly don't mean any disrespect to the rabid football fans. But I just don't get the annual adoration of the Detroit Lions. I enjoy all the sports played here and nearby. But having lived here all my life, I question what they've [[Lions) ever given our community. I cheer for the Tigers, Red Wings, and Pistons not only because I like their sports, but because of their past successes I want them to do well in order to recapture those great feelings we've all shared when they've won. But in the case of the Detroit Lions, there are varying scripts each year. But the end result is always the same.

Quote Originally Posted by paddlebobb View Post
    Maybe I'm really in the minority of in fact a lone wolf here. And I certainly don't mean any disrespect to the rabid football fans. But I just don't get the annual adoration of the Detroit Lions. I enjoy all the sports played here and nearby. But having lived here all my life, I question what they've [[Lions) ever given our community. I cheer for the Tigers, Red Wings, and Pistons not only because I like their sports, but because of their past successes I want them to do well in order to recapture those great feelings we've all shared when they've won. But in the case of the Detroit Lions, there are varying scripts each year. But the end result is always the same.
    The adoration of this team starts with the fact they are the DETROIT Lions. They're our NFL franchise- like them or not. If you're a true football fan- you cheer for your hometown team regardless of how they play. You cheer for your own. As a fan you want your team to win regardless of how many revolutions they take around the drainpipe and how many times they stomp on your heart. They're OUR team... dagnabbit.

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    Would you prefer a Voodoo hex as a rationale? The Curse of Bobby Layne? The SOL explanation is shorthand for what has become the M.O.
    After learning a few more things during the fiftieth anniversary of the JFK assassination...including the collusion with the Ford Motor Company regarding the secret replacement windshield and frame...and co-incidental acquisition of the Lions at the same time frame...I would claim they are under the curse of Senior's part in the conspiracy.

I have no idea of where he was within the corporation at the time, if at all...but the timing stinks.

So, there's that.

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    Would you prefer a Voodoo hex as a rationale? The Curse of Bobby Layne? The SOL explanation is shorthand for what has become the M.O. For our team. For some reason they make the impossible not just possible, but probable. To think we are fans of impossible probability, that we know that at any moment long-dead inca warriors could match into Ford Field in a naked conga line singing "Inky-Dinky-Doo" and block a field goal with imaginary flaming arrows...yet we watch in horror and amazement as we see new impossibilities made real.
    I don't want shorthand. I'd prefer some sort of explanation if I could get one.

I'm not offering up anything as to an explanation other than our team is inept. Not just once but on a regular basis. There is no logical reason for why this team embraces defeat the way they do. Whether we had the greatest running back of all time or the best wide receiver in the league at the moment- we just seem to get over that hump. There is no logic to this team's losses- even that stupid SOL theory doesn't fly.

Given opportunities we just don't cash in. Is there a curse? Is there voodoo?

I'm not one to believe in curses, voodoo or sh!t like that. I see reality happening in front of me. No need to explain it away or justify our misfortune; that's just placing blame on something to appease our anger.

I'd like to place it solely on this team as a whole. It's not one player. It's not one coach or coordinator. We're just not capable of winning one when we need to- simple as that.
    Last edited by Thruster315; December-22-13 at 07:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Thruster315 View Post
    I don't want shorthand. I'd prefer some sort of explanation if I could get one.

I'm not offering up anything as to an explanation other than our team is inept. Not just once but on a regular basis. There is no logical reason for why this team embraces defeat the way they do. Whether we had the greatest running back of all time or the best wide receiver in the league at the moment- we just seem to get over that hump. There is no logic to this team's losses- even that stupid SOL theory doesn't fly.

Given opportunities we just don't cash in. Is there a curse? Is there voodoo?

I'm not one to believe in curses, voodoo or sh!t like that. I see reality happening in front of me. No need to explain it away or justify our misfortune; that's just placing blame on something to appease our anger.

I'd like to place it solely on this team as a whole. It's not one player. It's not one coach or coordinator. We're just not capable of winning one when we need to- simple as that.
    You know, the New England Patriots back in the Jim Plunkett days were probably one of the top teams in the league with regards to raw talent, but never seemed to be able to put it together when it counted. The Patriots finally grew out of that and have been winning for a while.

Never totally abandon hope, the spirit of Buddy Parker, Bobby Layne, Doak Walker, and Leon hart is there somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post
    You know, the New England Patriots back in the Jim Plunkett days were probably one of the top teams in the league with regards to raw talent, but never seemed to be able to put it together when it counted. The Patriots finally grew out of that and have been winning for a while.

Never totally abandon hope, the spirit of Buddy Parker, Bobby Layne, Doak Walker, and Leon hart is there somewhere.
    Thanks for offering up SOME measure of hope for this team.

This sort of play by the talent we have is just unacceptable. They're high end draft picks being paid millions of dollars and they need to perform like it.