Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 9 of 22 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 19 ... LastLast

Nate better get with that Fauria kid and teach him some dance moves.

Personally I prefer the Barry Sanders style of acting like you've been to the end zone before and plan on returning to it again; but in leu of just flipping the ball to the ref, get some smooth moves ...pleeeze

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post

Personally I prefer the Barry Sanders style of acting like you've been to the end zone before and plan on returning to it again; but in leu of just flipping the ball to the ref, get some smooth moves ...pleeeze
    Just don't, repeat- DON'T twerk the goal post after you score a touchdown. We've had enough of that goofiness already.

So Thruster, what do you think of this nickname for Joique Bell: Belldozer?

So Thruster, what do you think of this nickname for Joique Bell: Belldozer?
    It's... alright. One game and this guy gets nicknames from us already? Okay, I can appreciate the love this guy gets. He was a serious bull so I was thinking things like:

Baby Bull
    Brahma Bull
    Big Bully
    Bull Run

Any better?

I was shocked at the sort of man love he got from Mike Valenti earlier today. Joique Bell really has become a nice piece of the running game but I still think he's a complimentary piece to Reggie Bush. It's what Jahvid Best & LeShoure were supposed to be; the thunder & lightning in the backfield. Best had to leave because one more hit and he was going to be babbling like a brook and LeShoure? I don't care how much love Schwartz was offering up on him at the afternoon presser but he's done. Theo Riddick had a few touches the last game. LeShoure was dressed but was pretty much the clipboard monkey.

I'm not sure what he's going to do in order to get back in the good graces of the team. Maybe it's something behind the scenes that's disciplinary and it's not ability driven about LeShoure's current extended stay in the doghouse.

I only caught a little bit of the Valenti lube job yesterday. He and Foster have their shtick and it isn't always clear how much is real and how much is Valenti acting as an AgentProvocateur. However, it was clear that he was impressed with Bell's Sunday performance.

Bell is a good story, a rags-to-riches, poor-boy-done-good, triumph-of-the-will kind of story [[without the Leni Riefenstahl imagery). If Chris Greenwood from Albion ever gets off the scout team and plays to his abilities, his story would be even more compelling; however, as we know, one game does not make a career.

We have needed the kind of runner who can carry between the tackles, who can get hit and not go down like a drunken prom date, the kind of guy who metes out a little pain. It looks like he is that guy.

For three games he has been the one role player who knows his role. Seemingly he is enough of an aw-shucks kid to at once be glad he is on the team, and angry enough to make others pay for their inattention.

The one thing I did get from Valenti yesterday was the "angry" part of Bell's playing character. Before the Washington [[wont use their offensive moniker) game Bell has struck me as a just-happy-to-be-here kind of guy. But he really laid some lumber down by stepping up to fill Bush's shoes.

i do agree that nicknames are a bit too early for Bell, but I could see a cottage industry spring up around it. We already have Megatron, a transformer that changes from bulldozer to fullback feels unnaturally natural.

Nate Burleson breaks his arm in an auto accident? WTF?

And right after he had that great game last week too. I'm putting all of our players into bubble wrap and not letting them leave Ford Field any more.

Quote Originally Posted by Thruster315 View Post

And right after he had that great game last week too. I'm putting all of our players into bubble wrap and not letting them leave Ford Field any more.
    Do we need more proof that this team is cursed?
    And to think that no one else is to blame in this accident, except Nate.
    Remarkable!

I like Bell not only as a runner but he seems to be a good guy. I read that when he was at Benton Harbor HS which is a basketball school and not a football school. Wayne State was really the only school recruiting him and had been for a while. Late in his senior year I think some MAC schools came calling. Now MAC schools may not be the greatest but they are Division 1 while WSU is Division 2. Bell stated something to the effect that he gave his word to WSU and even though higher ranked schools were offering he was going to keep his promise to WSU. I was impressed and that's why I root for the guy to have a long and fruitful career with the Lions and the NFL.

Mom was right, ...nothing good happens after midnight.

Wonder if Titus has returned from Mars yet.

Mom was right, ...nothing good happens after midnight.

Wonder if Titus has returned from Mars yet.
    Send him back! No more Titus Young please! I'd take Ocho Cinco or Terrell Owens over that nut bag and only if I had .38 stuck to my ribs.

I wonder who they are going to go after to replace Burleson? Maybe Brandon Lloyd who was with the Pats last year.

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    I wonder who they are going to go after to replace Burleson? Maybe Brandon Lloyd who was with the Pats last year.
    You raise the central issue. Do Mayhew and Schwartz go outside the organization or go inside and elevate Broyles or Mr.Baddancer Fauria? With Mayhew and Schwartz on the hot seat, do they go bold or cold?

Eventually Nate is going on IR, that will free a space on the roster, but bringing in a temp will mean that same guy will be gone once Nate returns. What quality replacement would be interested in a two month gig?

Maybe I am reading the tea leaves wrong, maybe the Turbo Turban is too snug, but methinks we are going to see someone we've seen before.

Schwartz is playing it cagey as usual. He hasn't committed to placing Nate on the IR just yet. I'm not exactly sure what would happen if he were to be placed on the IR; does that mean he's done for the season playing wise or is this like MLB where one can determine the length of time off the roster? Can one request a 6 week, 8 week or longer IR notation?

From what I heard Nate's still going to travel with the team and be the veteran leader he's always come across as. It's different than when he broke his leg last year and couldn't travel. So that's cool that he'll still prowl the sidelines, arm in a sling and all, chirping at the youngsters.

Personally I don't have a problem with putting Fauria on the slot and letting him give a go at it. I'm not sure how much Broyles & Edwards are going to fare considering they're wonky and coming back from dings themselves. Kris Durham might be wearing the big boy pants too. Damn good timing for Reggie to come back and be a receiving option too.

But NO NO and Hellz NO to the likes of Chad Johnson. Ocho Cinco is done and would be a huge ass distraction here. Think Schwartz is on the hot seat now? That bat shit nuts guy would light the match on him and turn this team on end. He's been a cry baby and spoilsport wherever he's played. He's a cancer in the locker room. There'd be no way his ego would stand for even the likes of Calvin Johnson being the #1 receiver. Notice how no other NFL team even wanted to touch him? If he signs on this team I'd really question if Mayhew's been smoking the Ford Field turf.

Did I mention I'm against Chad Ocho Cinco coming to this team?

Quote Originally Posted by firstandten View Post
    I like Bell not only as a runner but he seems to be a good guy. I read that when he was at Benton Harbor HS which is a basketball school and not a football school. Wayne State was really the only school recruiting him and had been for a while. Late in his senior year I think some MAC schools came calling. Now MAC schools may not be the greatest but they are Division 1 while WSU is Division 2. Bell stated something to the effect that he gave his word to WSU and even though higher ranked schools were offering he was going to keep his promise to WSU. I was impressed and that's why I root for the guy to have a long and fruitful career with the Lions and the NFL.
    I think this is a really nice story that could very well get overlooked in this day and age of focusing on the negative. Why not celebrate a guy who has worked hard and has finally made it? And for once, he's a guy who fell into our laps. I like his style and approach to the game. When he does get caught he still falls forward. Bell seems unafraid to run between the tackles and also has a nice set of soft hands to catch the ball coming out of the backfield. He also seems to have some football smarts to him as well; anyone notice him pushing Matt Stafford over the line on that fourth down conversion? Smart boy there!

One game does not make a player but he sure has electrified the fans with his style of running for a little bit. One thing I do want to caution the rest of the fan base here is who exactly Bell was running against- it was the pathetic Washington team that was known for lousy arm tackling. Let's not anoint Joique Bell the second coming of Billy Sims just yet until we can see how he runs against much stiffer defenses.

Personally I don't have a problem with putting Fauria on the slot and letting him give a go at it. I'm not sure how much Broyles & Edwards are going to fare considering they're wonky and coming back from dings themselves. Kris Durham might be wearing the big boy pants too. Damn good timing for Reggie to come back and be a receiving option too.
    You're not that far off of what was reported on MLive earlier today:

http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf...s_could_t.html

The possibility of Fauria running in the slot formation might not be a bad idea as long as Broyles can run the outside routes. Fauria, for a rookie seems awfully confident he can do the job. He seems to have the size and hands that would make him a defensive nightmare.

One other thought that might even be unique this upcoming week is maybe even having BOTH running backs in the backfield. Both Bush and Bell can run and catch or maybe one can be put into motion. Seriously I can barely remember seeing a team running out of the pro-set or I-formations any more.

I won't deny losing Nate Burleson isn't going to hurt but this could also open up another new wrinkle to our team's offensive strategy. Chicago's got a rookie coach in there now- this could be an interesting week to try something that would look gimmicky a few weeks ago, but necessary this week with the loss of Nate Burleson.

Move Bush to the slot, have him motion into the backfield, elevate the slot from a secondary position to Megatron to a absolute threat that must be planned for by defenses.

Bush is best wide open. Use the soft hands, the magic feet, the slipperiness to confound defenses and make them plan for what seems impossible. Keep The Belldozer between the tackles and use Fauria and Riddick to spell Reggie and Joique.

Move Bush to the slot, have him motion into the backfield, elevate the slot from a secondary position to Megatron to a absolute threat that must be planned for by defenses.

Bush is best wide open. Use the soft hands, the magic feet, the slipperiness to confound defenses and make them plan for what seems impossible. Keep The Belldozer between the tackles and use Fauria and Riddick to spell Reggie and Joique.
    I like the idea of more two back sets. Another back can add blocking to allow Stafford to go deep, if the safeties start cheating forward. Also, Belldozer can put some pain on defenders blocking for Bush. This is what I want to see the Lions offense become - an entity that can beat up a defense. This finesse shit is not suited to a strong armed QB. Fauria and Sheffler can be used in the slot. Fauria with his height is a good possession target. Sheffler - if he is still what he once was - is good for passed down the seam. Broyles was doing fine last year till his injury. IMO, this is not the Lions year. If they play cards right and let the young blood play, next year could be decent. Reif and Warford are doing ok and have made the O-line younger. If Waddle develops, look out.

Not being afraid to admit when I am wrong, Fauria got his boogie on for charity:

http://www.clickondetroit.com/Jimmy-...FZuuQ.facebook

Not being afraid to admit when I am wrong, Fauria got his boogie on for charity:

http://www.clickondetroit.com/Jimmy-...FZuuQ.facebook
    I get your drift there, gnomesie. The intent is great but I still agree with your original post- execute better! Get some rhythm and some moves, man! His moves reminded me a flamingo having a seizure.

My first half Lions rant so far. The Lions seem to be playing well controlled and disciplined. They seem to be taking what Cutler can give them. His interceptions have been costly for the Bears. I don’t have a problem with Akers booting all of the points if that’s what it takes. Forte beyond that one big scamper seems to have been held in check. Special teams with the one big Spurlock return has been a really nice surprise too.

Seeing Reggie Bush in this line-up really makes a huge difference. His late half scamper was mighty impressive. That leap over the defender is going to he on some highlight reels for sure. Reggie seems to be healthy, energized and adds another wrinkle to this team that we haven’t seen in ages.

Damn- of all the weeks not to have him in my Fantasy League.

I’m going to lay low until after the game. My hope is that our boys will stay aggressive as all hell. Not only do I want to keep my foot on the throat of the Bears, I want to step through it and snap its head off. Thirty more minutes of stout ass defense and we just need Stafford to keep control of the ball. We don’t need big ass deep strikes. We just need to manage the ball well, chew up some clock, and methodically work it down the field. It’d be nice to see a game where we’re not starting deep in our side of the field.

30-13 in the half. No complaints but let's finish it off and walk away with a convincing W. Nothing else would make me a happy camper.

Dang, we look pretty...until the last 28 ticks of the first half. Had them with our foot on their necks and let them off.

dang, dbl dang!

Dang, we look pretty...until the last 28 ticks of the first half. Had them with our foot on their necks and let them off.

dang, dbl dang!
    That accursed Julius Peppers rears his ugly mug and schools Rieff. BAH!

Yeah, but Stafford held the ball forever.

Not impressed with Stafford. Missed several including a wide open Durham. Biggest surprise thus far: Pettigrew. Wtf? Why is he holding on to the ball?

And Young still hasn't learned to stay home and protect the edge.

We are leading 40 to 16 with 9 minutes on the clock and I still ain't feeling we have this locked up.

snakebites take a long time to heal.

Page 9 of 22 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 19 ... LastLast