Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    Just curious... Is the term DMZ yours or is it a commonly used term on that side of town. I find it both grimly humorous and somewhat fitting.
    I was not referring to Alter but Mack Avenue. I read a post here awhile back that used DMZ to describe both sides of Mack, and its seems for many on DYes the border along Mack is some weird line that should not be crossed[[something I have never understood).

Alter Road is the DMZ.

The Detroit side of Mack Avenue is OSM.

Glad to see that the ACE owners are not decamping to a distant location. They run a very fine store. Bad news for other Village retailers and advocates of walkable shopping though. ACE brings in lots of customers and the current Village retailer mix provides shoppers a rare opportunity in SE Michigan to get a lot of errands accomplished without having to hop in the car multiple times.

. . . .

As for Yorkshire [[Liquor) Market, the place bears no resemblance to its very cool predecessor. It now just takes advantage of Detroit's oversaturation of available package liquor licenses.

Redford folks refer to Telegragh as the DMZ. Hazel Park folks refer to 8mile as the DMZ as well. So my guess is that if there is a median separating the the traffic, it's fair game for the title. To me it seems fitting and is not as insulting as some of the other terms I've heard thrown around.

Hope their hardware store works out, and that people in the neighborhood make an effort to support them.

What is OSM?

Quote Originally Posted by detroitsgwenivere View Post
    Redford folks refer to Telegragh as the DMZ. Hazel Park folks refer to 8mile as the DMZ as well. So my guess is that if there is a median separating the the traffic, it's fair game for the title. To me it seems fitting and is not as insulting as some of the other terms I've heard thrown around.

Hope their hardware store works out, and that people in the neighborhood make an effort to support them.

What is OSM?
    The other side of Mack.

With the closure of some of the auto dealers along Mack Ave., there is a lot of potential for retail/commercial expansion along that corridor. With Allemon's Landscaping, CVS, Mr. C's Car Wash, Kinko/Fed Ex, and all the retail at Pointe Plaza [[Rite Aide, Gibbs Wine, Borics, Barnes & Noble, etc) Grosse Pointers aren't afraid to cross the DMZ, retailers know that, and a well off nearby population helps developments along both sides of Mack.

Also, with some of the worst residential housing stock [[cottage size houses) in the Mack to Warren corridor, some residential areas may be ripe for buyouts by retailers. I know that a large scale development along Gateshead [[Kirby in GPF) was nixed by the residents a few years before the mortgage meltdown. They may now think twice about offering to sell their homes to a big box or other large development along the north side of the Mack corridor.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    With the closure of some of the auto dealers along Mack Ave., there is a lot of potential for retail/commercial expansion along that corridor. With Allemon's Landscaping, CVS, Mr. C's Car Wash, Kinko/Fed Ex, and all the retail at Pointe Plaza [[Rite Aide, Gibbs Wine, Borics, Barnes & Noble, etc) Grosse Pointers aren't afraid to cross the DMZ, retailers know that, and a well off nearby population helps developments along both sides of Mack.

Also, with some of the worst residential housing stock [[cottage size houses) in the Mack to Warren corridor, some residential areas may be ripe for buyouts by retailers. I know that a large scale development along Gateshead [[Kirby in GPF) was nixed by the residents a few years before the mortgage meltdown. They may now think twice about offering to sell their homes to a big box or other large development along the north side of the Mack corridor.
    Very well stated Gistok. Also there are Dish, National Coney Island[[not one of the stellar restaurants in the chain), and Bluefin Sushi if you want to cross the DMZ. Also for those who are unaware do not go into Thomas Hardware looking for a hammer or any other basic hardware, you will be very disappointed.

Quote Originally Posted by p69rrh51 View Post
    Also for those who are unaware do not go into Thomas Hardware looking for a hammer or any other basic hardware, you will be very disappointed.
    But if you are looking for any sort of sail boating equipment, you're in luck!

For those who are looking for something to do on Sunday evenings.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Ace Hardware is now open on Mack Avenue. Time to leave midtown and head east. The address is:

18185 Mack Avenue
    Detroit, MI 48224

While Village Ace is settling in fairly well, looks like another hardware store is about to open up on Livernois. From the University District Community Association Facebook page.

The new True Value store on Livernois and Santa Clara will soon be open for business! The dingy cash for gold building is now gone to make way for True Value parking. This will be convenient to have! Stay tuned for grand opening details.

Don't forget Busy Bee on Russell in the Eastern Market, True Value on Gratiot and East Grand Blvd, actually closer to Forest and the venerable Pointe Hardware on Kercheval in Grosse Pointe Park. Real hardware stores with knowledgeable staff and carying supplies you need to maintain elderly houses.

Have used and will continue to use Village Ace Hardware. They will be getting there act together as they get used to their new facilities. Nice to see that they took the chance to build on the Detroit side of Mack.

There's also Riverfront Hardware on E. Jefferson & Chalmers

Name:  east-jefferson-600-6489.jpg
Views: 389
Size:  44.2 KB

Cool wide-angled lens shot MTM...

Sad, in a way, east-sider from way back, like 1954. Yorkshire market was a funnel for the Mafia back in the day. Things change. Some better ,some worse.

Newish owners just trying hard to make a profit. Kinda stopped going when they eliminated the meat counter. Go to Shrodac [[Sp ??) in Hamtramck now.

Did work briefly for Ace in the Village. Total assholes!

Its interesting all the hardware stores mentioned in the last few posts are east of Woodward. One of the reasons I posted the info on the new store on Livernois, is its location west of Woodward. The store is a nice shot in the arm for the commercial area around 7 Mile & Livernois.

What had happened to the stores, restaurants, and cafes that were suppose to open in West Village on Agnes street this past March? The lady who had ran the pop up coffee shop in that area last year had said that the city had held up the businesses from opening. I don't know how true that is. Does anyone know?

Quote Originally Posted by p69rrh51 View Post
    Its interesting all the hardware stores mentioned in the last few posts are east of Woodward. One of the reasons I posted the info on the new store on Livernois, is its location west of Woodward. The store is a nice shot in the arm for the commercial area around 7 Mile & Livernois.
    I would be glad when a Starbucks or an independent coffee shop will open on the Ave.

I guess one needs to define Eastside.

Here on the west side of Woodward, we have Brooks Lumber that is also an old fashioned hardware store with helpful staff and all kinds of stuff for old houses.

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    What had happened to the stores, restaurants, and cafes that were suppose to open in West Village on Agnes street this past March? The lady who had ran the pop up coffee shop in that area last year had said that the city had held up the businesses from opening. I don't know how true that is. Does anyone know?
    embarrassed to say I don't know. Tried Villages of Detroit for an update but nada was mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    I had heard from some IV people last week that there is some storefront development in the works by a private investor, and that the lady that had the coffee shop had hung her shingle in GP instead. I've seen a new "Starting Pointe Café" on Jefferson where the knitting store used to be. I'm assuming that's her. She's an EXCELLENT baker.

Quote Originally Posted by MidTownMs View Post
    There's also Riverfront Hardware on E. Jefferson & Chalmers

Name:  east-jefferson-600-6489.jpg
Views: 389
Size:  44.2 KB
    LOVE that place. GOOD people own it! Good place to quickly pick up odds and ends for repairs and projects. Cheapest keys made in town!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2