Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by eno View Post
    Here's an interesting article about the drop in violent crime across the nation tied to the reduction of lead in the environment. Only it didn't' happen here in Detroit where you'd think our industries smokestacks belching out lead, polluting the soil. Perhaps Detroit is one huge brownfield.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...070701073.html
    Thanks to Shelia Cockrel, Detroit enacted one of the strongest lead abatement ordinances in the country. The next crucial step is effective enforcement.

"But Cockrel, who is starting a new job teaching in Wayne State University's Honors College, should not go quietly into academic life without praise for her successful push to enact an ordinance that will protect the city's children from lead.While we were focused on City Council and mayoral and charter commission elections, on Oct. 20 the council passed one of the strongest anti-lead ordinances in the country. And the Detroit Lead Partnership, which has fought for better prevention for a decade, thanks Cockrel for the win.
    The ordinance that Cockrel wrote prevents owners from leasing their buildings until they remove lead hazards. Beginning this month, owners must make those fixes before their next inspection."
    http://www.freep.com/article/2010011...n-can-take-bow

Quote Originally Posted by Neilr View Post
    Thanks to Shelia Cockrel, Detroit enacted one of the strongest lead abatement ordinances in the country. The next crucial step is effective enforcement.

"But Cockrel, who is starting a new job teaching in Wayne State University's Honors College, should not go quietly into academic life without praise for her successful push to enact an ordinance that will protect the city's children from lead.While we were focused on City Council and mayoral and charter commission elections, on Oct. 20 the council passed one of the strongest anti-lead ordinances in the country. And the Detroit Lead Partnership, which has fought for better prevention for a decade, thanks Cockrel for the win.
    The ordinance that Cockrel wrote prevents owners from leasing their buildings until they remove lead hazards. Beginning this month, owners must make those fixes before their next inspection."
    http://www.freep.com/article/2010011...n-can-take-bow
    Not to diminish your point Nellr, but they're about 15 years behind the rest of the country. " A" for effort, I guess, but executing lead compliance is nothing short of daunting and potentially thousands of dollars. Hell, the lead inspector minimum fee starts at $500 just for the initial inspection. Re-inspections cost more. Passing a city inspection requires a lead inspection. Good luck getting the inspector to show up on the arranged date and time. The "good" news is, there's little follow thru on the city's part.

The bad news is the city's got tens of thousands of properties that are not lead compliant, and you think we've got lots of vacant properties now?........

Which once again boils down to the lack of integrity and accountability on all levels of city govt. If you think lead is dangerous, so are the traffic lights not working on Wyoming at the Lodge, or Wyoming and Seven Mile.

webband1, Thanks for the posted article and map to put a human face on the consequences of industrial pollution. It will take another generation for any positive effects to result from a reduction in lead poisoning and pollution.

A murder at a funeral for the last homicide of 2012 in Flint.

Don't they understand?

The world fucking HATES us.

Nobody cares. If every single one of us was cast from the face of the Earth a significant piece of the population would give a thumbs up.

And this is how we do each other?

I'm not super religious, but some Devil of some pantheon has his hooks in us and won't fucking let go.

Quote Originally Posted by brizee View Post

Don't they understand?

Nobody cares. If every single one of us was cast from the face of the Earth a significant piece of the population would give a thumbs up.

I'm not super religious, but some Devil of some pantheon has his hooks in us and won't fucking let go.
    That has to be the saddest thing I ever read.

Indeed. As the headline of the article states there is a 'heart' problem about! But yet some will say all is has it has always been! You just see more 'cause of the web and more TV coverage. Clearly this is not the case. We are seeing a shift, increasing daily. Who can understand the 'heart' of man?

Don't they understand?

Yep. Agreed. I just don't know what to do with the 'black woman' thing. It did not sound a place where I am, or want to go to - or be put into.

Quote Originally Posted by Dexlin View Post
    Brizee,

Probably a conversation best had in-house lest you empower the wrong people. I know you mean well, but you should be cognizant of the fact that others don't, and you should probably take that into account in the future. You've been her long enough to know how this ends; I guess to be more blunt, I think what I'm saying is that you're question begging for a trolling in the type of company an internet messageboard keeps unless you open this question up a bit.

I mean, first you narrow down Detroiters to black people in general, and then make some off-handed comment about black women in the specific, and you expect people less well-meaning than yourself to behave themselves? Really? Let's not be so naive.

This is what I'm talking about.

Two men; both younger than my baby brother slay two women over a couple of dollars?

They could potentially be facing the rest of their natural lives in jail.

They cared so little for the lives of either the women or their own.

Now four families are about to potentially be destroyed forever.

Grandmother hires grandson to kill her husband in Chicago.

I think there might be something to that heavy metals poisoning in industrial midwest cities thing.

Grandmother hires grandson to kill her husband in Chicago.

I think there might be something to that heavy metals poisoning in industrial midwest cities thing.
    What some people won't do for a pair of sneakers.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    What some people won't do for a pair of sneakers.

Looks like the missus had emphysema, foul air from the bad sneakers maybe? We gotta give her a break.

I don't understand how someone can hate or resent themselves. I accept others may hate/resent me but I love me [[including my faults) and really don't give a shit about anybody that doesn't. Get on with life and get yours; you've only got one. Treat everybody as you would expect to be treated by them based on your demeanor to them. Don't waste time changing the mind of someone that's obviously anti [[unless she's a real cutie)
    Last edited by coracle; April-07-13 at 12:28 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2