Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Quote Originally Posted by p69rrh51 View Post
    The name of the company was Pungs-Finch Gas & Auto Company. The company was found by William A. Pungs and his son in law Edward B. Finch.
    Thanks, p69rrh51, for this info about Pungs and his car company, along with the reference to Ferry St.

According to the Inn on Ferry Street website, the Pungs House [[the gray stone house) was built in 1891 for William Pungs, Vice President of the Michigan Railroad Supply Company and founder of the Anderson Carriage Company.

A nice add to the notes for the Preservation Detroit Cultural Center walking tour which includes Ferry Street.

Quote Originally Posted by Kathleen View Post
    Thanks, p69rrh51, for this info about Pungs and his car company, along with the reference to Ferry St.

According to the Inn on Ferry Street website, the Pungs House [[the gray stone house) was built in 1891 for William Pungs, Vice President of the Michigan Railroad Supply Company and founder of the Anderson Carriage Company.

A nice add to the notes for the Preservation Detroit Cultural Center walking tour which includes Ferry Street.
    Kathleen here is an article from Automobile Quarterly Vol. VIII #1 published in 1969 on Pungs-Finch. Sorry about the order of the pages but the system posts them however it wants to once and awhile.
    Attached Images Attached Images                
    Last edited by p69rrh51; January-08-13 at 08:17 PM.

Easy to see why this is refereed to as the Brass era.

Attachment 17789

Chevrolet, Ford, and Plymouth all entered 1956 with mildly restyled facelifts of the new cars introduced the year before. The new Ford and Chevys relied mainly on revamped side trim, grilles, and taillamps to set them apart from 1955's cars.

Another made in Detroit Gem. This time the first DYer to correctly identify the manufacturer and year the car was built gets all you can eat mussels on a Monday night at the Cadieux Cafe.
    Last edited by p69rrh51; January-09-13 at 12:53 AM.

The only address that I've found for Pungs-Finch was at 15224 E Jefferson [[and Baldwin, just a bit east of the Belle Isle Bridge), probably the old address numbering system, too.
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...ML&hl=en#gid=0

Quote Originally Posted by Hornwrecker View Post
    The only address that I've found for Pungs-Finch was at 15224 E Jefferson [[and Baldwin, just a bit east of the Belle Isle Bridge), probably the old address numbering system, too.
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...ML&hl=en#gid=0
    The 1909 Polk Detroit City Directory has them located at 1524 E. Jefferson which is now 7604 E. Jefferson. Currently located at 7604 is the Broadhead Naval Amory. Looks like a little more research is in order.

Another made in Detroit Gem. This time the first DYer to correctly identify the manufacturer and year the car was built gets all you can eat mussels on a Monday night at the Cadieux Cafe.
    1923 or 24 Chrysler roadster?

1923 Jewett Six Roadster?

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    Yes, I believe JCOLE is correct.

Attached is a photo of my great Aunt Blanche sitting on the hood of her brother's [[my Grandfather's) 1923 Jewett phaeton - in 1923.Name:  Aunt Blanche B-W - Copy.jpg
Views: 536
Size:  37.9 KB

Yes you are correct!

Yes you are correct!
    I cannot tell a lie, I googled and found the same site you got your photo off of, so I'm not a true winner. Although, my mom, shortly before she died, kept talking about the Graham Paige that was apparently my dad's dream car, and it looked a lot like this one and the Jewett was built by Detroit -Paige so I kind of knew what it looked like and went from there.
    Last edited by jcole; January-09-13 at 12:27 PM.

The 1909 Polk Detroit City Directory has them located at 1524 E. Jefferson which is now 7604 E. Jefferson. Currently located at 7604 is the Broadhead Naval Amory. Looks like a little more research is in order.
    1910 Sanborn shows that what remained of the Pungs Finch factory was indeed in the location of the Brodhead Naval Armory. However, since Pungs Finch had stopped producing cars by then, it appears that their factory had been taken over by another well-known Detroit name:

Name:  pungs finch carhartt 1910 sm close.jpg
Views: 512
Size:  29.4 KB
    Jefferson is on the left and the river on the right.

Last edited by EastsideAl; January-09-13 at 06:11 PM.

I cannot tell a lie, I googled and found the same site you got your photo off of, so I'm not a true winner. Although, my mom, shortly before she died, kept talking about the Graham Paige that was apparently my dad's dream car, and it looked a lot like this one and the Jewett was built by Detroit -Paige so I kind of knew what it looked like and went from there.
    You still are welcome for mussels! If I can work it out a Jewett descendant is a good friend of the family and might be present for at least a chat before dinner. Let me know if you are interested?

Breaking it down a little bit can anybody ID this steering wheel?Name:  download.jpg
Views: 474
Size:  33.1 KB

It's from a Studebaker Lark, circa 1960.
    Last edited by EastsideAl; January-14-13 at 12:50 AM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3