Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

make & model?

Pontiac Bonneville

Last edited by Jimaz; January-04-13 at 12:20 AM.

Enough with the POS worthless Japanese crap on a forum for Detroit! Let's see who can name this piece of Detroit automotive history? Lunch at Lafayette Coney Island or Hot Taco for the first Dyer to also name the type of engine and who designed the company's factory. More points for the address of one of the parnters.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by p69rrh51; January-04-13 at 01:02 AM.

Nissan [[Datsun) bought the old Graham-Paige factory lock, stock, and barrel and had all of the tooling shipped to Japan during the 30s. The original Nissan products resembled the Graham-Paige.

Quote Originally Posted by p69rrh51 View Post
    Enough with the POS worthless Japanese crap on a forum for Detroit! Let's see who can name this piece of Detroit automotive history? Lunch at Lafayette Coney Island or Hot Taco for the first Dyer to also name the type of engine and who designed the company's factory. More points for the address of one of the parnters.
    hupmobile 1909, model 20 Runabout,

I've been unsuccessfully trying to identify the make and model of a car that appears in a snippet of home movies taken by my father in 1962.

Name:  qtr_pnl.jpg
Views: 804
Size:  36.6 KB

Perhaps some of the experts on this thread can help identify it?

Click here
    to see more screen grabs taken from that film. The car first appears on the right portion of the frame in the 8th photo from the top. There isn't much to go by, just the right rear quarter panel and fins, plus the second from last photo shows the opened passenger side door and quarter panel of what appears to be a two-door body.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    1966 Pontiac Parisienne Super Sport
    Remembering that there were different models in Canada, trimmed out a bit different then their US cousins, I tried to throw a curve.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeg View Post
    I've been unsuccessfully trying to identify the make and model of a car that appears in a snippet of home movies taken by my father in 1962.

Name:  qtr_pnl.jpg
Views: 804
Size:  36.6 KB
    '59 Plymouth Fury

Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post
    Nissan [[Datsun) bought the old Graham-Paige factory lock, stock, and barrel and had all of the tooling shipped to Japan during the 30s. The original Nissan products resembled the Graham-Paige.
    http://www.datsunhistory.com/datsunhistory3.html

I will post this here for the car guys
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...tors-WWII.html

Quote Originally Posted by Coplin View Post
    '59 Plymouth Fury

I am thinking '58 Cadillac

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    hupmobile 1909, model 20 Runabout,
    Its not a Hupmobile but you are close to the date the car was manufactured.

'59 Plymouth Fury
    I agree. My family had a 1959 Fury convertible, and as soon as I saw the picture a rush of memory came back and I said "that's a '59 Fury!"

If you look closely at Mikeg's pictures you can even see the sun glinting off the beautiful script "Fury" badge seen here on the tailfin.

'59 Plymouth Fury

That's it, bingo !!

'59 Plymouth Fury

Thanks a lot!

I was searching and looking at 1958-62 models from the Big Three, particularly Chrysler and Dodge models, but I forgot to include a search on Plymouth.

You will find a bunch at this link: http://www.oldcarbrochures.com

My dad had a '56 Plymouth Savoy - a real Plane Jane. The car in the picture has the tail end of the '56.

On family excursions to the Windsor area I always thought it so odd that Canadian Chrysler products were so mixed up. The Canadian Dodge had the front end of the American Dodge and the tail end of an Amercan Plymouth - or maybe it was the other way around.

Quote Originally Posted by p69rrh51 View Post
    A hint: One of the partners of the company resided on East Ferry.

Side oilier 4 cyl ,Albert Khan @ Russel center

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Side oilier 4 cyl ,Albert Khan @ Russel center
    Can you give the type of combustion chamber? You already have lunch though PM me and we can set up a time to meet.

Hold the phone, ...what is a side oiler, how was Albert Kahn involved?

Name:  hu090308.jpg
Views: 791
Size:  36.5 KB

See the big boxy thing on the side of the motor you put the oil in there where the cap is missing [[little round screen thing) and then you see the two pipes going down to the crankcase the oil then went down there. Side oiler. verses top oiler.

The little brass cup things on top of the head are primer cups or the choke,dump a bit of gas in them.

I thought the car posted was a Hupmobile also.
    Last edited by Richard; January-08-13 at 02:09 AM.

All right, this one can't be easy [[I sure don't know!)...it's a Shorpy picture...what is the car on the right? That has to be one of the sexiest fenders I have ever seen!

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    Hold the phone, ...what is a side oiler, how was Albert Kahn involved?
    The name of the company was Pungs-Finch Gas & Auto Company. The company was found by William A. Pungs and his son in law Edward B. Finch. Finch was somewhat unusual for an early auto designer in that he had a degree in Engineering from the University of Michigan. They produced automobiles from 1904-1910.
    Not only is the engine a side oiler its a HEMI! The four cylinder engine in the 1906 Limited roadster shown was designed with Hemispherical Combustion Chambers[[45 years before Chrysler "invented" the Hemi).
    Albert Kahn designed their factory located around what is now the Russel Center.
    Leave to Detroiters to always look for top performance!

http://www.american-automobiles.com/Pungs-Finch.html

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast