Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Yep. Does Mr. Napoleon live amongst the real peeps - deep in it? His house off of Joy Rd and Grand River, or Buchanan and Lawton?? I don't think so... does he drive a old beater car? Absolutely not.

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    Where was he supposed to move to? He's a high paid exec, do you expect him to move on Barlow near Gratiot and drive around in a used Plymouth Neon?

I seem to remember that he lived over off of west chicago and oakman some years back.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    Yep. Does Mr. Napoleon live amongst the real peeps - deep in it? His house off of Joy Rd and Grand River, or Buchanan and Lawton?? I don't think so... does he drive a old beater car? Absolutely not.

The Manoogian Mansion is not Detroit!

Quote Originally Posted by rex View Post
    Its no were near as simple as the right person making the right changes. Just think about what happened under Bing's administration. Deep and painful cuts were necessary to keep the city from who knows what. Nobody is willing to loan Detroit money at this point. Correct me if im wrong on that. Detroit required the state stepping in which they seemed willing to do as long as Detroit jumped thru some hoops. I sort of saw it as the state insisting the city make changes so this arrangement would be temporary and the city would become self sufficient again. As opposed to a green light to do business as usual with the state indefinitely covering the difference. If you don't change what you were doing how could you expect any different outcome. Long story short the changes that were made happened at a snails pace, money was withheld, and the city is still deep in the shit. I guess what im getting at here. Detroit has a money problem. No matter who is running the show it will have a money problem and when the new mayor has to start trimming the fat [[if there is any left) he will end up getting stonewalled too. My guess is Duggan will get even less cooperation from Council. So Duggan is a business man with leadership qualities and Napoleon is a cop. These are entirely different perspectives.
    Rex, your post is more or less in perspective with Detroit's situation. However, @ no time did I post, nor do I feel, that "one person makes the right choices". I've seen way too much politics to believe in the single savior theory. If you reread my post, I said "the right people into City government". I read all these happy, feel-good, pop-up postings, and that's wonderful. But there are rudimentary problems, as you pointed out, with Detroit, it's leadership, and safety, that, unless these issues are addressed, I don't believe serious growth will happen. Bringing about THAT kind of change should be the concentrated effort of the people remaining in Detroit that still really give a damn.

I was just about to ask where Napolean is living, these days, and what his salary is. He doesn't have Duggan money, no doubt, but this political hanger-on trying to paint Duggan as being uniquely out of touch is just rich, pun intended.

You know, I've been thinking more about Lisa Howze, lately, and she seems like the perfect person for the job, even a bit overqualified, but people rarely get through municipal politics without being a character, and she doesn't have any charisma to spare. And, really, it's a damned shame she'll be overlooked.

I'm also always a little surprised at what short shrift women are given in Detroit mayoral races given the general make up of the electorate. It's still a boy's club, despite Detroiters being more than willing to elect women to every other office in the city and county.

Right you are. It occupies its own planetary orbit in space somewhere!

Quote Originally Posted by KJ5 View Post
    The Manoogian Mansion is not Detroit!

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    Right you are. It occupies its own planetary orbit in space somewhere!
    Space AND time.....

Yeah, that one...

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Space AND time.....

B.N. was selected by Duggan to run against him. this is all b.s when duggan is elected he will appoint Benny to be the new chief of police.

Its so common for polticians to run these dummy candiates to pull votes away from anyone that might have a chance. Didn't we just have something similar with switching parties and paying someone's son to run????

If your negiborhood can provide 24-hr security then yes, you are not living in the real sections of Detroit....carpet bagging for 2013!

Ahh, the plot [[gravy) thickens. Nothing would surprise me at this point in Detroit, state or federal poli-tricks!

"If your neighborhood can provide 24-hr security then yes, you are not living in the real sections of Detroit....carpet bagging for 2013! "

Palmer Woods, Indian Village, Sherwood Forest, University District and others subs in Detroit have Security. I'm sure their residents will be surprised to know they don't live in REAL Detroit.

I am amazed that after living 45 years in Sherwood Forest then Palmer Woods, I am not living in the REAL sections of Detroit.

I want all my property taxes back.

Quote Originally Posted by pkbroch View Post

"If your neighborhood can provide 24-hr security then yes, you are not living in the real sections of Detroit....carpet bagging for 2013! "

Palmer Woods, Indian Village, Sherwood Forest, University District and others subs in Detroit have Security. I'm sure their residents will be surprised to know they don't live in REAL Detroit.

I am amazed that after living 45 years in Sherwood Forest then Palmer Woods, I am not living in the REAL sections of Detroit.

I want all my property taxes back.
    What tees me off, [[and I don't live in any of those 'hoods), not only are these residents paying City taxes, but now they have to kick in MORE money to pay for services that SHOULD be covered in the first place. And people somehow feel these residents are "privileged" and aren't REAL Detroiters. They could all move somewhere else and have a better quality of life for a lot less money. Try working for it, it'll change your attitude.

Shollin Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    What tees me off, [[and I don't live in any of those 'hoods), not only are these residents paying City taxes, but now they have to kick in MORE money to pay for services that SHOULD be covered in the first place. And people somehow feel these residents are "privileged" and aren't REAL Detroiters. They could all move somewhere else and have a better quality of life for a lot less money. Try working for it, it'll change your attitude.
    Yea they're not going to get the same house in another suburb for a lot less money. Even though Detroit's millage rate is high, the much lower property value puts the taxes less than places like Grosse Pointe and the housing is half the price.

His address should be on public campaign records.

According to campaign records, he lives at 6634 Oakman.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Well Lansing won't have a choice in getting a loud voice if Duggan wins. While I don't care for the fact that he's a former MacNamara leftover... he's like a pit bull in getting things done. He has stepped on a lot of toes and is not well loved at DMC, but he has gotten things under control there. He's never been one to win a popularity contest... and maybe that is what Detroit needs. Harsh times call for harsh measures.

Now that said... I'm not a fan of his... but he may be what the city needs right now....
    Yeah, he's not admired very much these days for selling DMC to Vanguard. I wonder how much he made on that deal? Might have been enough to get his campaign rolling.

Quote Originally Posted by neavling View Post
    According to campaign records, he lives at 6634 Oakman.
    That is down in Dearborn...gotta be near Ford Road.

Geez, looked it up...it is one block from my childhood home, which was 8235. Weird. Never realized Oakman had different numbering than the rest of the grid streets around it. Yep, Benny lives ONE BLOCK into the city. He's barely a Detroiter.
    Last edited by Gannon; January-03-13 at 02:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post
    That is down in Dearborn...gotta be near Ford Road.
    http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&tab=wl

I just looked at the numbers. Over the years, I lived at an 8235, a 7846, and way down at 7024...I know the numbering of the streets...or at least thought I did. Heh.

I'm not buying what your selling

I drove by his house today. There isnt a single vacant home in an 8-block area. He lives a block from Dearborn. Not exactly a place of hardship.

Why hate on the suburbs when you can hate on the less-shitty parts of Detroit for not being shitty enough!

I finally listened to the Craig Fahle show all the way through last night...after turning it off in frustration on the earlier, live broadcast with Benny-the-Bumbler. He really is a piece of work. If there ever was a man blank enough to be denied the office of mayor in the city of Detroit, it's this fellow. He couldn't even defend his off-the-cuff comments without calling in all of the 'friends' he knows from the various suburbs and tonier subdivisions in town.

Most certainly he is merely the shill installed into the race to insure the ugly McNamara crony wins...they're back to old-school election manipulation. Yay.

Quote Originally Posted by Artistic View Post
    I'm not buying what your selling
    If that was aimed at me, I was telling Honky Wonk about my initial accusation...the difference between 8235 and 7024 in the grid was less than a mile, and anything under 8000 was across Tireman, in Dearborn.

Not a problem residence for a county sheriff, but a huge one for a guy running for mayor.

Turns out the numbering of Oakman, which meanders through the Aviation subdivision [[designed and developed by Robert Oakman, if I've got my history right) on its way from Highland Park to the Rouge Complex, is different than the rest of the grid.

Spent my formative years within blocks of Benny's residence, and never knew until now that the numbers on the houses were different than streets one block over!

Cheers

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast