As we prepare for this year, Detroit will have its ups and down. As a citizen I want to do my part to continue to help the city, what are my expectations and goals.
1. Crime/Violence issues that controls the city currently, how do we address it? Definitely more policing, parenting/guidance and un-learn negative habits. Crime can decrease tremendously, ask Wayne St. University police how they kept Midtown and some surrounding neighborhoods safe. Their method need to be applied throughout Detroit, even re-trained DPD. Have more fathers, uncles and dads to step up as leaders and control their love ones.
2. Detroit Public Schools, enough said!
3. Detroit LEADERSHIP needs a dramatic change, we need someone solid and determine to get things done, PERIOD! I don't blame the citizens for the down fall, but we can play a part by doing our part. With 50+ years of failed leadership, it's time for change in Detroit. We need to clean house who has held us back for so long, and on top of this list is "City Clowncil".
4. New Detroit Mayor, hopefully he/she is trustworthy, can stand its ground, progressive and serious about safety, school, mass transit and economic development. Those are what I think our new mayor should focus on, nothing more. Let's start with that before trying to do anything else.
5. Privatize Lighting, hopefully some new plans to keep lights on and modernize the grid. All wood and dis-repaired light pole need to be replace, either include underground wiring and/or solar. The distance between each poles are too far apart, so beside 1 or no light poles on a block how about 2-3 poles. Increase safety precaution, I should be able to see your face as you're walking towards me.
6. Mass Transit!!!! Hopeful of construction of M-1 light rail anytime now, new and more buses. More routes and better services, clean and safe bus. Have transit police on every bus, better and more efficient bus shelter for every bus stop with security cameras. RTA overall control of DDOT/Smart buses.
7. Downsizing Detroit!!!! I agree with this plan, we need to see a SOLID, FULL, VISUAL accurate plan to lay out our city. I will like to see stable neighborhoods more dense, build upon and identified with neighborhood gateway signage. The neighborhood that cant be saved need to be shut off, let nature take over. break up the street grid and create boulevards connecting the stable neighborhoods with parks, wetlands and forests inbetween. Each neighborhood should have it's own policing and patrol, so we can identify specific quickly.
We will need to see truck loads of trees to feel up all the vacant land in Detroit
8. More national and local private investment, Dan Gilbert can't stand alone in order for a true comeback.
9. Looking forward to all the planned and proposed projects opening and being constructed in 2013, too many to name!