Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by cla1945 View Post
    I'd sure like to know where you got those statistics.

One "grisly" crime in Warren [[the actors were all from Detroit), does not constitute an unsafe or undesirable City. 4 and 5 murders daily constitute an unsafe city.
    http://www.clrsearch.com/Warren-Demo.../MI/Crime-Rate

All I hear is I Detroiters this and Detroiters that. Even after they've MOVED to Warren you're still calling them Detroiters. The term is Warrenites, n'est pas? Yeah, no shit they were from Detroit. Detroit's fucked and it's spreading to Warren, are you surprised? You guys thought you could ignore Detroit and it would just go away. Give it a few years and 10 Mile and Mound is going to look like 7 Mile and Hayes. Fouts looks more mentally unstable than most Detroit City Council Members. I'm sure he can speed the process along.

Shollin Guest

Except for motor vehicle theft, crime in Warren is pretty much at state level or less. When you look at the FBI crime stats for the past 10 years, there hasn't been any increase in crime. Violent crimes are not common place in Warren. I know you have some axe to grind with Warren and Macomb county, but don't make things up.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    That was hilarious. She seriously thinks the deer are reading the crossing signs to determine where they should cross.
    One the other hand, how do we know the deer haven't learned to read the crossing signs? Maybe the joke's on us! LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by cla1945 View Post

One "grisly" crime in Warren [[the actors were all from Detroit), does not constitute an unsafe or undesirable City. 4 and 5 murders daily constitute an unsafe city.

Last edited by Jimaz; December-27-12 at 08:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by poobert View Post
    http://www.clrsearch.com/Warren-Demo.../MI/Crime-Rate

All I hear is I Detroiters this and Detroiters that. Even after they've MOVED to Warren you're still calling them Detroiters. The term is Warrenites, n'est pas? Yeah, no shit they were from Detroit. Detroit's fucked and it's spreading to Warren, are you surprised? You guys thought you could ignore Detroit and it would just go away. Give it a few years and 10 Mile and Mound is going to look like 7 Mile and Hayes. Fouts looks more mentally unstable than most Detroit City Council Members. I'm sure he can speed the process along.
    That is interesting!

How the fuck can your legal address be Southfield or Warren and you're still somehow a Detroiter? And any evil you do is still put on a former city?

Well I mean, I know you can when "Detroiter" is a [[not even veiled) euphemism for negro, but racism died on 11/4/2008 so that can't be it.

Oh shit. Wait a second. That means if you or your family ever lived in the city, moved and committed a crime, it still counts towards Detroit!?!?

FUCK!
    Last edited by brizee; December-27-12 at 08:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post
    A man who considers himself to be the mayor of a posh suburban community.
    I've seen Warren called a lot of things, but never posh.

Jim Fouts is a loon that was born out of the Coleman Young era.

You could even say he's the white/suburban Coleman Young.

Quite frankly, the faster he rides off into the sunset, the quicker Metro Detroit will move into the 21st Century.
    Last edited by 313WX; December-27-12 at 09:08 PM.

Shollin Guest

Yes it is Jim Fouts holding metro Detroit back. It isn't Detroit selling acres of land to become a farm. Fouts says a lot of weird stuff, but Warren is staying solvent despite all the challenges being thrown at it.

Quote Originally Posted by Shollin View Post
    Yes it is Jim Fouts holding metro Detroit back. It isn't Detroit selling acres of land to become a farm.
    Shollin, you're a genius! Now I understand. Detroit was doing just fine until they embraced an entrepreneur with a creative idea to use vacant and blighted land. You should be so glad Fouts embraces deer while our city embraces trees. I get it!

Shollin Guest

Quote Originally Posted by downtownguy View Post
    Shollin, you're a genius! Now I understand. Detroit was doing just fine until they embraced an entrepreneur with a creative idea to use vacant and blighted land. You should be so glad Fouts embraces deer while our city embraces trees. I get it!
    I guess that's where Warren and Detroit differ. Warren had a lot of empty land at 12 and Mound. It already had plenty of trees. Warren filled it with shopping and residential. Detroit's filling it with trees.

Fouts says a lot of weird stuff...
    Boy oh man, he's not the only one. What the hell is in your drinking water up there? Or is Fouts pulling some Jonestown thing? Now go curl up with your domestic deer and keep telling yourself that Warren will be just fine, despite all evidence to the contrary. If only it weren't for all those Detroiters living in Warren!

Shollin Guest

Quote Originally Posted by poobert View Post
    Boy oh man, he's not the only one. What the hell is in your drinking water up there? Or is Fouts pulling some Jonestown thing? Now go curl up with your domestic deer and keep telling yourself that Warren will be just fine, despite all evidence to the contrary. If only it weren't for all those Detroiters living in Warren!
    I don't know what your issue is with Macomb county and Warren. Is it some inferiority complex you have that Warren has remained solvent and Detroit has not? What evidence to the contrary? Crime has not increased and the population has stabilized. Warren isn't some great place but 90% of it is safe, quiet and clean. It can at least afford to keep it's street lights on and offers basic public services. When you call Warren police or fire they respond. For a city that relies on the auto industry more than any other city, Warren is holding up pretty well.

BTW, I don't even live in Warren.

I don't know what your issue is with Macomb county and Warren. Is it some inferiority complex you have that Warren has remained solvent and Detroit has not? What evidence to the contrary? Crime has not increased and the population has stabilized. Warren isn't some great place but 90% of it is safe, quiet and clean. It can at least afford to keep it's street lights on and offers basic public services. When you call Warren police or fire they respond. For a city that relies on the auto industry more than any other city, Warren is holding up pretty well.

BTW, I don't even live in Warren.
    Okay, fine, I'll entertain. Besides the general aesthetics, it's the hypocrisy. Detroit politicians say something stupid and it goes down in the annals of history, but Fouts gets a pass because, oh, you know, whatever. The guy tries to manipulate the judicial process and you could care less. Now what if Kwame Kenyatta pulled the same shit, huh? And as everyone here can attest I'm not exactly JoAnn Watson's biggest fan so don't think I'm going on some racial justice crusade here, I'm just calling bullshit.

Crime happens in Warren and naturally its Detroiters because Detroit spreads pestilence and on and on and on. No, you're not going to get gunned down in Warren but I pulled out the damn statistics which frankly just aren't flattering, and they were immediately dismissed because some dude here walks to the mailbox. Well, shit, so do I.

Then what do the valiant resort to? When in doubt, attack a tree farm in Detroit! How absurd.

Shollin Guest

Who said I could care less? Fouts is a blowhard. He's a drama queen. Fouts won't be at the court room. I'm one of the least critical of Detroit city council. I feel more often than not, city council gets a bad rap because they can't magically change all of Detroit's bad fortunes.

Warren's crime rate is around the state average, based on the link you provided. In fact, it appears violent crime [[which you said is common place) is slightly lower. I provided 10 years of crime statistics and for the most part it shows Warren's crime is trending downward. Also, when you look at the crime map, most of Warren's crime is concentrated to the south along Detroit and where Detroit transplants live. The link you provided to s single sensational crime in Warren, was 2 blocks north of Detroit and all had connections to Detroit. What's absurd is taking one crime and painting it to be common place in Warren. Also Warren is bigger than most suburbs and has better and worse parts. You paint the entire city of Warren with the same brush. I'm not sure what your issue is with Macomb county and Warren.
    Last edited by Shollin; December-27-12 at 11:21 PM.

I live in Warren, and I think there is something to be said for both sides of the argument - that Warren is far from doomed, and that yet it is doomed nonetheless.

As it stands currently, Warren isn't that bad. The areas around Van Dyke south of Center Line and most of the border along 8 Mile are looking a bit rough, but the rest of the city is actually not doing so bad. The crime levels are higher than in Sterling Heights but still under control, and there is virtually no blight [[aside from that strip mall across from the GM Tech Center on Van Dyke, and the aforementioned "rough" areas). If you buy near - say - 14 & Ryan, you're getting a good deal in a nice area. The schools might not be perfect, but they offer the same amenities as most of the districts farther north that are perceived of as "better".

However, for a variety of reasons, Warren has gained a bad reputation. The school district is viewed, rightly or wrongly, as past its prime and in decline. The troubles in "south Warren" have many concerned that any investments south of I-696 are destined to decline in value over the next decade. And, of course, there is the somewhat true but overplayed argument that Warren is "boring" and lacks culture [[if Warren is boring and uncultured, so is the majority Metro Detroit).

Given the continued preference for sprawl in our area [[which now reaches up to 26 Mile), it's obvious that the city's reputation is an extreme problem. It's going to be hard for Warren to capture investments from the areas north that are still perceived as growing [[think Sterling Heights, Shelby Township, Macomb Township, and etc.). Over time, this WILL screw Warren and make the current negative perceptions surrounding the city a self-fulfilling prophecy.

My great-uncle shot a deer from his house, though he lives in a very rural area.

I realize hunting in that place was illegal, but this seems like a silly thing to get so upset about. Aren't there bigger issues to be outraged about?

Also, deer are not domesticated animals. They can be pretty vicious. They are wild unless raised in captivity.

On a side note, some cities are considering or already allow urban hunting.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    I think this radio listener sums it up in a nutshell......

http://fox4kc.com/2012/10/18/woman-m...ts-them-moved/
    I agree with this lady.... lol.... maybe we should move those "Bridge May Be Icy" and "Falling Rocks" signs to safer places, while we're at it.....

Fouts is one odd duck, and not of this world.

But, to be more serious, I truly believe he has some kind of mental or behavioral issue and a personality not suited to run a city, let alone one of Warren's size. I mean, the dude's whacky even by Metro Detroit standards of crazy mayors go. And, I used to think the city's previous mayor was a slimeball. I remember the whole thing over his age and thinking he was a few fries short of a happy meal.
    Last edited by Dexlin; December-28-12 at 04:33 AM.

Violent crime has no become commonplace in Warren, if anything it has decreased slightly.
    Funny, I remember you saying on another thread a few months back that prostitution and meth labs were common at the Warren motels at 13 Mile and Van Dyke and how that area has become a cess-pool for criminal activity.

Shollin Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitej72 View Post
    Funny, I remember you saying on another thread a few months back that prostitution and meth labs were common at the Warren motels at 13 Mile and Van Dyke and how that area has become a cess-pool for criminal activity.
    I went back and looked up the thread in question I never said any such thing. I did say that prostitution has become more common at 13 and Van Dyke. The rest you inserted. It's funny because you replied to me in the thread. For reference, here is the exact quote.

"......Go by 13 mile and Van Dyke at night and keep an eye out for prostitutes. Apparently 8 Mile isn't as good of money maker for them anymore so they've come north next to the cheap motels. I was at the Speedway at 14 and Van Dyke and a guy asked me for a ride to 6 and Van Dyke. I said no. He said why not? I said I'm not heading that way. He continued to ask me. He followed me to my car. Luckily for me a Warren cop pulled in and he peeled off and ran to the bus stop. But hey, it's just a coincidence that the only connection with Detroit has the highest crime and blight."

You seemed to imply that a guy asking you for a ride at a gas station was an implication that crime was on the rise in Warren. Now your saying that's not the case. I guess you realized the error of your ways.

Shollin Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitej72 View Post
    You seemed to imply that a guy asking you for a ride at a gas station was an implication that crime was on the rise in Warren. Now your saying that's not the case. I guess you realized the error of your ways.
    the context of the thread was discussing where the crime happens in Warren which is along the Van Dyke corridor. Never was it mentioned crime was on the rise. I live at 14 and Van Dyke and have never had crime issues.

When they post those signs "Deer Xing next 2 miles", how do they get the deer to obey them?

Never was it mentioned crime was on the rise. I live at 14 and Van Dyke and have never had crime issues.
    I have lived at: 7 Mile/ Gratiot, Harper/Morang, Alter/ Jefferson, Harper Woods, and Hamtramck and never had crime issues. What's your point?

Interestingly, when I lived at 13 Mile and Van Dyke, many of my neighbors tires were stolen off their cars, many autos were stolen, and a few condos were broken into.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast