Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post
    concise...what is this concise?!

I like precise.
    con·cise /kənˈsīs/ Adjective
    Giving a lot of information clearly and in a few words; brief but comprehensive.

But I DID change it...... just for you.
    Last edited by Honky Tonk; February-27-13 at 01:45 PM.

If that is the definition then why do people say, clear and concise.

Reminds me of my old Calculus teacher. He would get so mad at baseball announcers saying the pitcher had good velocity and location on his pitches.
    Velocity is the measure of change in speed and direction in the movement of an object

Quote Originally Posted by kenp View Post
    If that is the definition then why do people say, clear and concise.
    I don't know, man. I honestly thought you meant "people that actually live in Detroit".

This is how the locals benefit.

people actually live in Detroit?

people actually live in Detroit?
    If you can call this living....

... Velocity is the measure of change in speed and direction in the movement of an object
    You mean acceleration.

Funny you mention acceleration, I was talking about velocity to a co worker and he says that is acceleration. He then tells me that does not mean speeding up, it means change of speed. In other words slowing down is also acceleration.
    That's freaking me out man.
    I forgot what this thread was....

Funny you mention acceleration, I was talking about velocity to a co worker and he says that is acceleration. He then tells me that does not mean speeding up, it means change of speed. In other words slowing down is also acceleration.
    That's freaking me out man.
    I forgot what this thread was....
    Acceleration is the delta, or the change, in rate...so it can be positive or negative. So, slowing down would not just be acceleration but in negative values.

Velocity is the actual rate of motion, and as far as I know can only be positive...unless, I guess, when you consider the vector...since velocity of a thing has to be compared with or referenced to something else...we assume a fixed point on this relative plane of the surface of the Earth.

I'd guess it might be expressed as positive heading towards you at that fixed point, and negative heading away. Might be another name for it when direction is considered.

So yeah, acceleration is the change in velocity, in positive or negative values.

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    con·cise /kənˈsīs/ Adjective
    Giving a lot of information clearly and in a few words; brief but comprehensive.

But I DID change it...... just for you.
    Don't go changin', to try and please me.

I liked it as it was, and only added the joke. I can ONLY dream of ever being concise. It happens for me maybe six or twelve times a year, and only by mistake.

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Brains View Post
    There are musicians who don't play live? Why would a musician not want to play live?
    Sure. As a matter of fact, I've been in about 4 bands that have been live/touring and I've released music for about 5 bands that have never and will never play shows. Sometimes what I want to make is better suited to recordings.

Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post
    ...Velocity is the actual rate of motion, and as far as I know can only be positive...unless,....
    It's negative if you're going in reverse. No mystery there.

In the Calculus sense, acceleration is the derivative of velocity and so velocity is the integral of acceleration. Mathematicians have an obsession about inverse operations. Derivatives and integrals are inverse operations.

Please excuse me. Since this has nothing to do with music festivals, I will now go hide under my Calcified rock.
    Last edited by Jimaz; February-28-13 at 12:06 AM.

Not to promote threadjacking, but this velocity thing is getting pretty interesting, and informative. Maybe the velocity of tourism will increase if this concert is successful. Or would that be acceleration?

We need to get that old band from Detroit to reunite. The name was a play on accelerate, something like xcelr8. Wasnt it guys from The Look or in that genre.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4