Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

F--- Lars and f--- Metallica.

some of you may remember in the days of cassette tapes when Dead Kennedys released "Bedtime for Democracy" i think it was...anyway, on the casette they had printed something along the lines of: "ILLEGAL COPYING OF MUSIC IS KILLING THE RECORD INDUSTRY--WE HAVE LEFT SIDE B BLANK SO THAT YOU CAN HELP"

the record industry has been so crooked for so long, how can you willingly stick up for them, whether youre an artist or just a listener? last time i bought a CD [[probably 2001), it cost $15 friggin bucks. come on now...it cost them less than a dollar to press that friggin thing, and 90% of that $15 isnt going to the poor struggling musicians out there. screw the record labels, and screw their posterchildren
    Last edited by WaCoTS; December-31-12 at 02:28 PM.

Thats too bad noise. Small and medium venue artists are thriving because of P2P sharing. Its what brings people to shows It is the mega-bands that are crying foul.

Regardless, this is something different for Detroit and as long as it works out, its good for the citizens of the city.

Any mention as to what venue on Belle Isle that Lars and the boys will be playing at?

my guess is it will be a port-a-stage and maybe tents for other things

Quote Originally Posted by GOAT View Post
    Thats too bad noise. Small and medium venue artists are thriving because of P2P sharing. Its what brings people to shows It is the mega-bands that are crying foul.

Regardless, this is something different for Detroit and as long as it works out, its good for the citizens of the city.
    It's been just fine for me, but I never wanted a music career.

As I mentioned earlier, not every band plays shows.

Quote Originally Posted by rb336 View Post
    my guess is it will be a port-a-stage and maybe tents for other things
    I was kind of hoping that they'd use the band shell by the Bell Tower for such concerts.

Some legit acts announced this morning including one of my favorites...the Red Hot Chili Peppers.

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...text|FRONTPAGE

Interesting lineup, some locals acts as well. I am not sure what this means to the local economy.

am not interested. Will not attend

For some reason I just thought of the regular attendees of the City Council meetings. I am not sure how this could possibly happen in their Park.

Decent idea. I just hope they don't tear up the park too much. I'm old enough to remember those WABX/WRIF shows on BI. They were shut down because of all the wasted kids they attracted and the consequent damage to the park. They made Belle Isle look like Hines Park or Balduck Park or something [[some blasts from the past for you oldies out there like me).

Damn hippies...

Last edited by EastsideAl; February-25-13 at 12:02 PM.

Not hippies, they were the next generation, Stoners.

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    Decent idea. I just hope they don't tear up the park too much. I'm old enough to remember those WABX/WRIF shows on BI. They were shut down because of all the wasted kids they attracted and the consequent damage to the park. They made Belle Isle look like Hines Park or Balduck Park or something [[some blasts from the past for you oldies out there like me).
    I'm curious to know what is left to damage.

Dillinger is gonna be there. They're going to scare the crap out of everyone who doesn't know what they're in for.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-lxwlgyhhA

Quote Originally Posted by noise View Post
    There are many musicians who do not play live. Why should they not make money if you're enjoying their music?
    There are musicians who don't play live? Why would a musician not want to play live?

When I think of a musician I think of someone who doe his job onstage. Im a Deadhead, and have much respect for the Grateful Dead who never made much off of record sales but tour after tour, until Jerrys death they sold out almost every show. I also love Steely Dan who almost never played live.
    Im just excited about these shows, its going to be a great thing for Detroit and hope it becomes a regular thing. While I love Metallica, Ive been seeing the RHCPs live since 87 at the Nectarine Ballroom and as soon as I saw their first show I said that someday they would be playing the Palace. Sure enough I saw them there years later. I hate big venues but still wont be able to stay away. I hope they allow camping on BI, that would make for an amazing weekend. Probably wont happen but Im keeping my fingers crossed.
    Could BI become a regular summer venue for shows like this? That's a boatload of money coming in for the city.
    Is there enough parking for this type of event on the island?
    I hope somebody brings some weed.

Quote Originally Posted by Django View Post
    When I think of a musician I think of someone who doe his job onstage. Im a Deadhead, and have much respect for the Grateful Dead who never made much off of record sales but tour after tour, until Jerrys death they sold out almost every show. I also love Steely Dan who almost never played live.
    Im just excited about these shows, its going to be a great thing for Detroit and hope it becomes a regular thing. While I love Metallica, Ive been seeing the RHCPs live since 87 at the Nectarine Ballroom and as soon as I saw their first show I said that someday they would be playing the Palace. Sure enough I saw them there years later. I hate big venues but still wont be able to stay away. I hope they allow camping on BI, that would make for an amazing weekend. Probably wont happen but Im keeping my fingers crossed.
    Could BI become a regular summer venue for shows like this? That's a boatload of money coming in for the city.
    Is there enough parking for this type of event on the island?
    I hope somebody brings some weed.
    I would like for them to hold this in YOUR backyard, Django, so you could enjoy 10,000 people f-ing up YOUR neighborhood. People pay premium taxes to live across from the island, and they have to deal with this crap? A head-banging R&R show? Do you have any idea what that island is going to look like when they're done? Have you ever seen what Hart Plaza looks like after the Techno Fest? Now take all that trash and dump it among trees and foilage. Who's going to clean that mess up? It's fine for you, when you're tired of it, you can go home. The people that live there have to listen to this shit whether they want to or not. Whoever cooked this up should be castrated.

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Brains View Post
    There are musicians who don't play live? Why would a musician not want to play live?
    Because it is not a controlled situation. Some people cannot handle distractions. Some cannot deal with Stage Fright. There are MANY reasons why some very technical musicians might not want to play to random audiences who often talk and text and eat through their performances.

There are some musicians who are such control freaks, they play every instrument on their albums...like Gino Vanelli, although he had some help from family.

Some musicians are SO critical of themselves, they require total control on what everyone and anyone hears of their work! Those same ones usually don't know when to say when on any particular recording, too.

Cheers

Chastizing the fellow who leads the garbage pickup after the Dally in the Alley is not a way of winning this argument, Honky Tonk. Django won't just 'go home' after this event, and I'd bet big bucks that if he saw random trash on the ground he'd simply pick it up and throw it away.

How many people does the GRAND PRIX bring onto the island?! How much noise does that, or the Wizzfest boat races, make?! Or the Red Bull air-races?! Or the fireworks?!

Nah, althought the music is not my genre, I DO think this is one of the best ways to make money on Belle Isle. IF they allow camping, it will only be for a few days...so there won't be suffocation damage to the grass.

That, and regular gymkhana's on that huge apron of concrete...and those 3-on-3 basketball tourney's they were talking about having...

Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post
    Chastizing the fellow who leads the garbage pickup after the Dally in the Alley is not a way of winning this argument, Honky Tonk. Django won't just 'go home' after this event, and I'd bet big bucks that if he saw random trash on the ground he'd simply pick it up and throw it away.

How many people does the GRAND PRIX bring onto the island?! How much noise does that, or the Wizzfest boat races, make?! Or the Red Bull air-races?! Or the fireworks?!

Nah, althought the music is not my genre, I DO think this is one of the best ways to make money on Belle Isle. IF they allow camping, it will only be for a few days...so there won't be suffocation damage to the grass.

That, and regular gymkhana's on that huge apron of concrete...and those 3-on-3 basketball tourney's they were talking about having...
    The Grand Prix, Air Races, Gold Cups all end early evening and don't run until midnight. I'm willing to bet that the sound level from the "bands" will exceed the sound level from the cars running in the Grand Prix. No, this is NOT the best way to make money off of the island, it'll screw the island and surrounding areas up. As far as Django picking up trash for a few hours after the Dally, commendable, but I'm not that impressed. This concert is just someones idea to exploit, make a fast buck, then split, nothing more.
    Last edited by Honky Tonk; February-26-13 at 08:18 AM.

I hear ya, but that is why there are rules in place for usage...the promoter should always be responsible for leaving the area as good or better than they found it.

You have no foundation to doubt that with these folks, do ya?!

How late does Movement/DEMF play? If I remember correctly, we heard more than just the deepest bass all the way in GPP last summer...first time in 3 years that I heard beyond those deep, energetic low frequencies. That must be murder on those nearby, let alone across the river.

On a busy summer weekend filled with picnics, family reunions, and other events...how many people use the island?! At least this event will be able to pay for cleanup...I don't see the partiers near the Coast Guard station doing anything of the sort.

Nah, still thinking that IF this is controlled well...and the promoters are contractually bound to clean up after their crowds...I just don't see the downside to this. Other than it is being done by Metallica, I guess.
    Last edited by Gannon; February-26-13 at 10:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post
    I hear ya, but that is why there are rules in place for usage...the promoter should always be responsible for leaving the area as good or better than they found it.

You have no foundation to doubt that with these folks, do ya?!

How late does Movement/DEMF play? If I remember correctly, we heard more than just the deepest bass all the way in GPP last summer...first time in 3 years that I heard beyond those deep, energetic low frequecies. That must be murder on those nearby, let alone across the river.

On a busy summer weekend filled with picnics, family reunions, and other events...how many people use the island?! At least this event will be able to pay for cleanup...I don't see the partiers near the Coast Guard station doing anything of the sort.

Nah, still thinking that IF this is controlled well...and the promoters are contractually bound to clean up after their crowds...I just don't see the downside to this. Other than it is being done by Metallica, I guess.
    Who's going to make sure these "rules" are enforced? Do they plan on thinning out the police force even further and having them patrol the concert? Exactly. The apartment resonates from Hart Plaza 3.3 miles away, and these clowns want to run this almost 24/7? I totally disagree. I see people stacking up trash by the curb or around the garbage cans after the family reunions. If there were enough workers, like @ Wind Mill Point, it could be picked up immediately. They should move this to Hart Plaza or Campus Martians, where people actually enjoy this kind of music, and quit annoying the residential areas. Looks to me like a last ditch effort to totally sell out Belle Isle.

wow, seems something like this would be considered 100% positive regardless of your views on Metallica and stealing music, but this thread is a perfect example of why nothing in the city is going to change...

BTW.. Milli Vanilli performed live and also sold tons of records.....

[QUOTE=Honky Tonk;369335. As far as Django picking up trash for a few hours after the Dally, commendable, but I'm not that impressed. This concert is just someones idea to exploit, make a fast buck, then split, nothing more.[/QUOTE]

lighten up billy graham. People will be coming into the city, staying in hotels, eating at restaurants, drinking in bars and enjoying themselves in the city.
    Believe me it will be clean when its over and life will move on.
    As far as the Django cleanup comment, I'm sure impressed.

Quote Originally Posted by Goose View Post
    wow, seems something like this would be considered 100% positive regardless of your views on Metallica and stealing music, but this thread is a perfect example of why nothing in the city is going to change...

BTW.. Milli Vanilli performed live and also sold tons of records.....
    What's "changing" Goose? Screwing over the tax payers that live in that neighborhood? THAT'S exactly why nothings going to change in this City. Not every area is covered with piss-poor "GASM" graffitti. There's a plaza built specifically for these kind of events, with tax payer money. Hold it there. OR, volunteer to have it @ your house and enjoy the "change".

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast