Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by ElbertHanks View Post
    One of the articles mentioned how cable rights for live events may be interpreted to mean everything except hockey. And since no other events have been televised there simply is no revenue owed. I guarantee you this will be the Olympia position.

It think it is pretty irresponsible for the media to stir up the masses with headlines that say the Red Wings owe millions when the truth is there is only a chance that they might. I guess never let the truth get in the way of a good headline.

One thing I would say is that in 1980 cable tv revenue was insignificant and probably an afterthought. If the lease [[which none of us have read) can actually be interpreted to entitle the CoD to 25% you would think Olympia would have tried to renegotiate it years ago or would have left the day it expired rather than being in 'holdover' status. Then again maybe they counted on the CoD remaining incompetent and/or corrupt.
    I'm no Ilitch shill.... [[I like one observation of them as "flawed brilliance")... but ElbertHanks, you sound like a reasonable person. So often the herd mentality on this forum goes off on a torches and pitchfork rant. And later, when the "whole truth" comes out... you no longer hear another word about said subject. They just go off onto the next flash mob fest...

Like you, I'm gonna wait this one out until when all the cards are on the table to make an "informed" judgement [[either pro or con)... rather than following the herd...

It doesn't matter one way or another to me, because one thing is certain, in the end Detroit won't get even a small portion of the amount in question.
    Last edited by detroitsgwenivere; December-27-12 at 03:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    I'm no Ilitch shill.... [[I like one observation of them as "flawed brilliance")... but ElbertHanks, you sound like a reasonable person. So often the herd mentality on this forum goes off on a torches and pitchfork rant. And later, when the "whole truth" comes out... you no longer hear another word about said subject. They just go off onto the next flash mob fest...

Like you, I'm gonna wait this one out until when all the cards are on the table to make an "informed" judgement [[either pro or con)... rather than following the herd...
    I dont need to wait it out Gistok. I have seen enough from the Ilitchs to know what they have already done to Detroit. I'm not saying the guy is Matty Maroun, but he hasn't pushed Detroit forward or assisted in any way as other people have done.

I used to work down at the Joe. The accountant down there would sit on checks for ever and ever until my clients wouldn't do anything more for me until they were paid.

NBC Sports reported on Ilitch 12/26/12.

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2...ty-of-detroit/

Quote Originally Posted by ElbertHanks View Post

It think it is pretty irresponsible for the media to stir up the masses with headlines that say the Red Wings owe millions when the truth is there is only a chance that they might. I guess never let the truth get in the way of a good headline.
    What else is new?! That's par for the course in BOTH of Detroit's daily newspapers. Maybe if enough people call them put on a wide range of subject matter, they might improve their act. The lynch job mentality they create in this region is unproductive and demoralizing.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    Emergency Financial Auditor now! Should have been done years ago.

I wonder how many 'ghost' employees exist on the cities payrolls?

Very, very few. The Bing administration did the "employee photo id required for paycheck" thing almost a year ago. It produced little, if any, evidence of fraud. Believe me Bing would have trumpeted this had it been otherwise. Everyone likes to blame "entitled" employees for the city's problems. This is not Detroit Public Schools. Remember, Dennis Archer ran the city for 8 years and his administration was at least honest, if not always competent.

The real story here is not city employees, but what did elected officials and/or appointees receive from Illitch and Olympia for this sort of intentional neglect of duty? Would love to find out how many comps to entertainment and sporting events were distributed to this group. It's always easier to seduce a few rather than do justice.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    The guy with the free hockey tickets?

This is absurd on a couple of levels. First of all, IF what Bing says is true, THAT is a serious chunk of change, and if used properly, could actually help the City. 2nd, since 1980????? These COD incompetence revelations just seem to get better each time. I see Bing just got an enhancement and not an actual pair for Christmas. He ought to start cutting off services to the JLA pending investigation and outcome. If it were the average Joe, I'm sure there would be something legal already in process.

Did Bing reveal this or did the Detroit News uncover this via the Freedom of Information Act? I think this was exposed via the News' diligence, not Bing's. Bing is just this side of comatose and utterly useless.

Quote Originally Posted by mam2009 View Post
    What else is new?! That's par for the course in BOTH of Detroit's daily newspapers. Maybe if enough people call them put on a wide range of subject matter, they might improve their act. The lynch job mentality they create in this region is unproductive and demoralizing.
    Correction: that is par for the course with all journalists these days. Intellectual honesty is no longer stressed in J-school.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2