Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by JVB View Post
    I know the feeling. I get looked at funny when I'm in all black areas too. I try not to read too much into it though. I think the human brain just looks for something that appears out of place, there isn't necessarily anything nefarious attached to it. There are of course exceptions, but as a general rule it's probably just a natural reaction.
    In my experience there is one major, but critical different. Whenever I am the random white boy in a predominately black area I tend to get accepted if for no other reason than being the novelty.

When I've been out with black friends in purely white areas there are only scared/shocked looks, possibly some following by security guards and comments from randoms [[when the black people aren't in ear shot)

I agree in the human nature aspect of something 'seeming' different but the treatment in the two scenarios is very, very different in my experience.

JVB Guest

Quote Originally Posted by jt1 View Post
    When I've been out with black friends in purely white areas there are only scared/shocked looks
    Jesus Christ dude, where are you hanging out that the site of a black person scares and shocks people?

Jesus Christ dude, where are you hanging out that the site of a black person scares and shocks people?
    Probably Livonia lol. It happens more than you can imagine. Especially in areas that few Blacks venture

Quote Originally Posted by 313hero View Post
    I've lived in this city for my ENTIRE life minus the 4 years I left for college, and MI is one of the most racist states in this country.
    Serious question...have you been down south lately? I will say I think race relations are worse up here - or I guess more confrontational - than back home but I've never been worried or afraid up here.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasT View Post
    Serious question...have you been down south lately? I will say I think race relations are worse up here - or I guess more confrontational - than back home but I've never been worried or afraid up here.
    Yes I have, and was expecting it. I went to Texas to visit Kwame and I thought it would be bad down there. However I felt more comfortable there than I did in Livonia. We was in an affluent area and I was on the hotel bus line. I was litterally standing on the corner in this area waiting for the bus for at least 35 mins and didnt get one dirty look from anybody. I was shocked. The entire time I was there I was shocked. I went to Georgia to visit my brother and the same thing no dirty looks just pleasant friendly people. And by no means was I in a hick town but those were my experiences in the last couple years. But now that I'm thinking about it Oakland County and Livonia might be the worse. But I have met some cool people out in Waterford and St. Claire Shores off of Craigslist purchases I've made. So I guess its just butholes everywhere as well as great people. But I will NEVER go to Livonia sorry

Yes I have, and was expecting it. I went to Texas to visit Kwame and I thought it would be bad down there. However I felt more comfortable there than I did in Livonia. We was in an affluent area and I was on the hotel bus line. I was litterally standing on the corner in this area waiting for the bus for at least 35 mins and didnt get one dirty look from anybody. I was shocked. The entire time I was there I was shocked. I went to Georgia to visit my brother and the same thing no dirty looks just pleasant friendly people. And by no means was I in a hick town but those were my experiences in the last couple years. But now that I'm thinking about it Oakland County and Livonia might be the worse. But I have met some cool people out in Waterford and St. Claire Shores off of Craigslist purchases I've made. So I guess its just butholes everywhere as well as great people. But I will NEVER go to Livonia sorry
    Visiting Kwame eh? do tell. Now most of your posts become oh so transparent.

People should not be afraid to go anywhere in Detroit. Most of your perceived fear is the fear inside yourself for being in a strange environment [[read: more white people). It goes both ways.

This region is hosed.

JVB Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Islandman View Post
    People should not be afraid to go anywhere in Detroit. Most of your perceived fear is the fear inside yourself for being in a strange environment [[read: more white people). It goes both ways.
    Exactly. Like I said above, I get looked at funny in predominantly black areas too. People's minds are trained to notice something "different", I think it's just the way the human mind works.

I motion that we start a "pool halls of Detroit" thread so we know where to meet for the buses next election. For as long as I've lived here, I'm not hip to the pool halls nor do I have any luck with the buses.

This is when of the reasons why I call myself a "pro-equal rights fiscal conservative" and never identify myself as a Republican.

This non-story is simply the Repubs trying to hold on to and justify there voter suppression strategy which is a failed one by the way. It feeds into the stereotypes certain Non-Detroiters want to have about Detroiters in general black Detroiters in particular. He needs to figure out why the GOP can't win national elections and get out of his fantasy world that its because of busses going to barbers shops and poolhalls [[by the way I haven't seen many of those in Detroit in years) and voting multiple times... ridiculous statement !

after reading this artical, comments from the freepress, and coment here i'v come to the desition that i should open a pool hall. the market seems in my favor...

I've been out to Livonia [[grandmother-in-law lives there) and haven't had any issues but that's like 3-4 times so not enough to draw conclusions.

But the south is pretty bad. I spent my whole life down there [[lived in Texas and Virginia and spent quite a bit of time in Bama and Louisiana), except for the past three years in which I lived in Chicago. People will be nice to your face, but there is a way of doing things. The black population is what, a third of the southern population, so there's more interaction between whites and blacks and you aren't going to get dirty looks. Like I said, the best way to put it is it's less confrontational down there [[part of that is that Midwesterners are way more frank than I'm used to)...but there's way more under the surface if you stay a while - part of that is, in my opinion, minorities as a whole are more submissive as a collective because things have just been a certain way for so long, way back to the antebellum days. It's just in our culture. It really irks my husband [[Michigander) when we go back to visit - especially for SEC games in Bama and Mississippi. He hates it. Shit, in Detroit, you bust up an after-hours bar and you get a four day riot that necessitates the National Guard. Down south, a hundred years of post-slavery oppression, blown up churches, and dogs & waterhoses eventually gets you sit-ins.

I feel a million times more comfortable here in Michigan, as a whole, although I'm sure it has its bad parts. That's just my own personal experience.
    Last edited by TexasT; December-17-12 at 12:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasT View Post
    I've been out to Livonia [[grandmother-in-law lives there) and haven't had any issues but that's like 3-4 times so not enough to draw conclusions.

But the south is pretty bad. I spent my whole life down there [[lived in Texas and Virginia and spent quite a bit of time in Bama and Louisiana), except for the past three years in which I lived in Chicago. People will be nice to your face, but there is a way of doing things. The black population is what, a third of the southern population, so there's more interaction between whites and blacks and you aren't going to get dirty looks. Like I said, the best way to put it is it's less confrontational down there [[part of that is that Midwesterners are way more frank than I'm used to)...but there's way more under the surface if you stay a while - part of that is, in my opinion, minorities as a whole are more submissive as a collective because things have just been a certain way for so long, way back to the antebellum days. It's just in our culture. It really irks my husband [[Michigander) when we go back to visit - especially for SEC games in Bama and Mississippi. He hates it. Shit, in Detroit, you bust up an after-hours bar and you get a four day riot that necessitates the National Guard. Down south, a hundred years of post-slavery oppression, blown up churches, and dogs & waterhoses eventually gets you sit-ins.

I feel a million times more comfortable here in Michigan, as a whole, although I'm sure it has its bad parts. That's just my own personal experience.
    I have relatives in the deep south. There is no place on earth I loathe more. "Southern hospitality" is no more than southern hypocrisy. For as fucking insane religious as they are down there "love thy neighbor" largely does not apply to blacks, Yankees, or gays.
    http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2012/12/1...ewtown-speech/

The only good thing about the south is New Orleans, and they're a bunch of heathen drunk Catholics and Creoles.

Quote Originally Posted by poobert View Post
    I have relatives in the deep south. There is no place on earth I loathe more. "Southern hospitality" is no more than southern hypocrisy. For as fucking insane religious as they are down there "love thy neighbor" largely does not apply to blacks, Yankees, or gays.
    http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2012/12/1...ewtown-speech/

The only good thing about the south is New Orleans, and they're a bunch of heathen drunk Catholics and Creoles.
    I have noticed on this forum that the ire of Detroiters [[if you even are a Detroiter) that we harbor against each other in this region is often projected to other regions across the nation, particularly the South. Your subjective personal observations are akin to someone saying, "All black people are dumb."

While it's all fine to criticize someone for being racist, it's also deeply hypocritical to in-turn hate that person, or to summarily dismiss an entire culture that you have had a bad experience.

Recently I went to a birthday party at Cutter's, in EM, which is considered a black hangout. I invited a friend, who is white, and we went together. We were the only white people there. At one point during the night this black guy walked up to my friend, got in his face, and said, "I'm gonna rob you tonight." This was totally unprovoked. My friend was visiting from California, and had never been to Detroit before, hadn't even heard of EM. We left right after that because he didn't feel safe. If you hang out in Detroit these kinds of things are going to happen to you, more than often, and it is racism. But of course I understand that all black people aren't like that. I wish we could see more of that reasoning on this forums.

Quote Originally Posted by Zozo View Post
    I have noticed on this forum that the ire of Detroiters [[if you even are a Detroiter) that we harbor against each other in this region is often projected to other regions across the nation, particularly the South. Your subjective personal observations are akin to someone saying, "All black people are dumb."

While it's all fine to criticize someone for being racist, it's also deeply hypocritical to in-turn hate that person, or to summarily dismiss an entire culture that you have had a bad experience.

Recently I went to a birthday party at Cutter's, in EM, which is considered a black hangout. I invited a friend, who is white, and we went together. We were the only white people there. At one point during the night this black guy walked up to my friend, got in his face, and said, "I'm gonna rob you tonight." This was totally unprovoked. My friend was visiting from California, and had never been to Detroit before, hadn't even heard of EM. We left right after that because he didn't feel safe. If you hang out in Detroit these kinds of things are going to happen to you, more than often, and it is racism. But of course I understand that all black people aren't like that. I wish we could see more of that reasoning on this forums.
    Sorry for your unfortunate situation, but to piggy-back on that, my Nephew and his wife [[who happens to be white) were here from NY, so we went to Cutter's about 3 years ago after a Tiger's game. We all had a great time at Cutter's with no problems what so ever. They serve great burgers btw. You can't live life in a bubble by being scared to go places. Things happen everywhere which shows with the Sandy Hook tragedy.
    Last edited by Cincinnati_Kid; December-17-12 at 10:47 PM.

So what it all boils down to is,

The North is just as racist as the South.
    There are places whites should not go,
    There are places blacks should not go
    Everybody has experienced senaros both good and bad.
    It is the same worldwide.

But if you really think about it ,there is a lot of energy consumed if you are a white racist because you have to hate blacks,Jews,Mexicans,Arabs,spics and I am sure there are more,and the refrigerator if it does not keep your beer cold enough.

But in the end everybody's blood is red and the ground or the incinerator does not care what color you are.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2msbfN81Gm0

But I think everybody is pretty much aware of the bus situation in Detroit and its ability to collect massive amounts of voters from bars and pool halls.If either should exist.

JVB Guest

Livonia has the same feeling to me as downriver does. Something is just "off", not sure how to explain it but I get a funny vibe. I avoid both areas as a general rule.

Livonia has the same feeling to me as downriver does. Something is just "off", not sure how to explain it but I get a funny vibe. I avoid both areas as a general rule.
    me too ::vibes::

After reading the Freep article, two things come to mind. First, Ron Weiser was appointed ambassador to the Slovak Republic during the GWB administration. I hope, for our country's sake, he was more diplomatic with the Slovak's than he is with people in Michigan.

Second, this is the same man who instigated the deal to reorganize the Detroit Science Center into the soon to open Michigan Science Center. You gotta wonder why someone that is doing something so good for the city turns around and says something so dumb.

Quote Originally Posted by downtownguy View Post
    After reading the Freep article, two things come to mind. First, Ron Weiser was appointed ambassador to the Slovak Republic during the GWB administration. I hope, for our country's sake, he was more diplomatic with the Slovak's than he is with people in Michigan.

Second, this is the same man who instigated the deal to reorganize the Detroit Science Center into the soon to open Michigan Science Center. You gotta wonder why someone that is doing something so good for the city turns around and says something so dumb.
    I wonder if he was doing some sarcasm considering some of the way out of this world comments that come out of the mouth's of some of the city "leaders".

Attention! New pool hall in town! Bubbles is the name, it's on the northwest side, I think it's on Fenkell near Livernois or Wyoming. I didn't stop in, but I might if I'm in the mood to shoot some stick.

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    Attention! New pool hall in town! Bubbles is the name, it's on the northwest side, I think it's on Fenkell near Livernois or Wyoming. I didn't stop in, but I might if I'm in the mood to shoot some stick.
    Did it have buses parked out front?

Graceless political suicide. Nothing like it. I walked the city of Detroit going business to business selling stupid trinkets for a half a year. Every main street and most of the businesses on them. i can think of about 1 pool hall.

The Freep's hit job is consistent with the paper's partisan 2012 coverage in which it devoted 6 articles in 2 days to Republican Romney's ill-advised 47 percent comments - while completely ignoring Democrat Obama's equally outrageous "you didn't build that" comments about American entrepreneurs.

This time, the Freep ripped Governor Snyder for his support of RTW - but ignored the violence of union thugs who destroyed the hot dog stand of an African-American vendor, Clint Tarver, as they rampaged against right-to-work at the state capitol.

But in their gleeful, 800 word hit job on Weiser, The Freep and their Democratic Party allies forgot a couple of important points: The Jewish Weiser himself is an ethnic minority and a major giver to black causes. To ad to this insult Weiser is a former chairman of the board of the United Negro College Fund in Washtenaw County.

It is only details.

Quote Originally Posted by noggin View Post
    The Freep's hit job is consistent with the paper's partisan 2012 coverage in which it devoted 6 articles in 2 days to Republican Romney's ill-advised 47 percent comments - while completely ignoring Democrat Obama's equally outrageous "you didn't build that" comments about American entrepreneurs.
    If you get a chance go over to the Non-Detroit side and review the thread where comments where made concerning that statement by myself and others. That was not an "outrageous" statement but a statement taken out of context by Repubs looking to do damage control after Mitt's statement. The thread is Gov Snyder and RTW issues on table.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast