Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

There's Paul's on Conner, which is an old place popular with old school Detroiters. I would get takeout from BB's nextdoor and shoot the breeze with the Coolest guys on the eastside of Gratiot.

LOL These stupid f%cks can't even get their racial stereotypes up to date, bless their hearts. It's even more funny, because Ron wasn't known as a socially conservative warrior, and as soon as you put any Republican in a roomful of baggers, they go crazy. And then they wonder why they have such a hard time winning anything at the federal level besides gerrymandered House districts. lol And, even that's getting harder to pull off for them.

You know, when we have a legitimate election, the electorate has a way of shutting this whole thing down...
    Last edited by Dexlin; December-17-12 at 02:22 AM.

Must be republicans making the comments here too? Also before everyone flies off the handle, I find this behavior exceptionally offensive.

http://deadspin.com/5968935/take-tha...night-football
    Last edited by p69rrh51; December-17-12 at 02:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by p69rrh51 View Post
    Must be republicans making the comments here too? Also before everyone flies off the handle, I find this behavior exceptionally offensive.

I really do like the first comment on that article though: "Why is there a black guy on TV while I'm watching an NFL game?!?!?!"

Quote Originally Posted by p69rrh51 View Post

White people @ their finest.....

Quote Originally Posted by JVB View Post
    Claiming that this ignorant fuck speaks for all Republicans is like claiming AL Sharpton speaks for all Democrats.

And I say that as a member of neither of those warmongering parties.
    LOL
    So, you come here and quack on an hourly basis since Oct and expect everyone to just accept your claim today that you are not a duck?
    Come on man, at least own your bullsh*t.

At least he got the balls to say whats on his mind. Regardless if its BS or not. We decide that. I'm not surprised nor shocked. I've lived in this city for my ENTIRE life minus the 4 years I left for college, and MI is one of the most racist states in this country. I stay in my box and they stay in theres. I remember when I used to go places in Livonia and get funny stars and glars as if I was an Alien. and this was in the last 6 or 7 years. Havnt been out there since. I loved shopping at Parisians but after being followed and looked at funny I was uncomfortable and NEVER returned. Same way in alot of other Cities around here. I know the reality that some Black people commit alot of crimes but I do not think its fair to us that dont. I've never robbed anyone nor stole from anybody, so why do I have to deal with being looked at like a criminal, just because of the color God chose me to be???

Quote Originally Posted by KOMPOST View Post
    LOL
    So, you come here and quack on an hourly basis since Oct and expect everyone to just accept your claim today that you are not a duck?
    Come on man, at least own your bullsh*t.
    If it walks like a duck, talks like a duck, then it must be a........

http://www.detroityes.com/mb/search.php?searchid=28380

I motion that we start a "pool halls of Detroit" thread so we know where to meet for the buses next election. For as long as I've lived here, I'm not hip to the pool halls nor do I have any luck with the buses.

JVB Guest

Quote Originally Posted by 313hero View Post
    At least he got the balls to say whats on his mind. Regardless if its BS or not. We decide that. I'm not surprised nor shocked. I've lived in this city for my ENTIRE life minus the 4 years I left for college, and MI is one of the most racist states in this country. I stay in my box and they stay in theres. I remember when I used to go places in Livonia and get funny stars and glars as if I was an Alien. and this was in the last 6 or 7 years. Havnt been out there since. I loved shopping at Parisians but after being followed and looked at funny I was uncomfortable and NEVER returned. Same way in alot of other Cities around here. I know the reality that some Black people commit alot of crimes but I do not think its fair to us that dont. I've never robbed anyone nor stole from anybody, so why do I have to deal with being looked at like a criminal, just because of the color God chose me to be???
    I know the feeling. I get looked at funny when I'm in all black areas too. I try not to read too much into it though. I think the human brain just looks for something that appears out of place, there isn't necessarily anything nefarious attached to it. There are of course exceptions, but as a general rule it's probably just a natural reaction.

Quote Originally Posted by Shollin View Post
    I say we just enlarge your posts and put them on a sandwich board for everyone to see your ignorance.
    Everyone thinks that guy is racist because of his blatantly racist views.

JVB Guest

Quote Originally Posted by noise View Post
    Everyone thinks that guy is racist because of his blatantly racist views.
    Can you please post an example? The word racist is so overused nowadays it's hard to know what's meant by it, so perhaps an example is needed.

I've lived in this city for my ENTIRE life minus the 4 years I left for college, and MI is one of the most racist states in this country.
    Serious question...have you been down south lately? I will say I think race relations are worse up here - or I guess more confrontational - than back home but I've never been worried or afraid up here.

This is when of the reasons why I call myself a "pro-equal rights fiscal conservative" and never identify myself as a Republican.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasT View Post
    Serious question...have you been down south lately? I will say I think race relations are worse up here - or I guess more confrontational - than back home but I've never been worried or afraid up here.
    Yes I have, and was expecting it. I went to Texas to visit Kwame and I thought it would be bad down there. However I felt more comfortable there than I did in Livonia. We was in an affluent area and I was on the hotel bus line. I was litterally standing on the corner in this area waiting for the bus for at least 35 mins and didnt get one dirty look from anybody. I was shocked. The entire time I was there I was shocked. I went to Georgia to visit my brother and the same thing no dirty looks just pleasant friendly people. And by no means was I in a hick town but those were my experiences in the last couple years. But now that I'm thinking about it Oakland County and Livonia might be the worse. But I have met some cool people out in Waterford and St. Claire Shores off of Craigslist purchases I've made. So I guess its just butholes everywhere as well as great people. But I will NEVER go to Livonia sorry

This non-story is simply the Repubs trying to hold on to and justify there voter suppression strategy which is a failed one by the way. It feeds into the stereotypes certain Non-Detroiters want to have about Detroiters in general black Detroiters in particular. He needs to figure out why the GOP can't win national elections and get out of his fantasy world that its because of busses going to barbers shops and poolhalls [[by the way I haven't seen many of those in Detroit in years) and voting multiple times... ridiculous statement !

after reading this artical, comments from the freepress, and coment here i'v come to the desition that i should open a pool hall. the market seems in my favor...

Yes I have, and was expecting it. I went to Texas to visit Kwame and I thought it would be bad down there. However I felt more comfortable there than I did in Livonia. We was in an affluent area and I was on the hotel bus line. I was litterally standing on the corner in this area waiting for the bus for at least 35 mins and didnt get one dirty look from anybody. I was shocked. The entire time I was there I was shocked. I went to Georgia to visit my brother and the same thing no dirty looks just pleasant friendly people. And by no means was I in a hick town but those were my experiences in the last couple years. But now that I'm thinking about it Oakland County and Livonia might be the worse. But I have met some cool people out in Waterford and St. Claire Shores off of Craigslist purchases I've made. So I guess its just butholes everywhere as well as great people. But I will NEVER go to Livonia sorry
    I've been out to Livonia [[grandmother-in-law lives there) and haven't had any issues but that's like 3-4 times so not enough to draw conclusions.

But the south is pretty bad. I spent my whole life down there [[lived in Texas and Virginia and spent quite a bit of time in Bama and Louisiana), except for the past three years in which I lived in Chicago. People will be nice to your face, but there is a way of doing things. The black population is what, a third of the southern population, so there's more interaction between whites and blacks and you aren't going to get dirty looks. Like I said, the best way to put it is it's less confrontational down there [[part of that is that Midwesterners are way more frank than I'm used to)...but there's way more under the surface if you stay a while - part of that is, in my opinion, minorities as a whole are more submissive as a collective because things have just been a certain way for so long, way back to the antebellum days. It's just in our culture. It really irks my husband [[Michigander) when we go back to visit - especially for SEC games in Bama and Mississippi. He hates it. Shit, in Detroit, you bust up an after-hours bar and you get a four day riot that necessitates the National Guard. Down south, a hundred years of post-slavery oppression, blown up churches, and dogs & waterhoses eventually gets you sit-ins.

I feel a million times more comfortable here in Michigan, as a whole, although I'm sure it has its bad parts. That's just my own personal experience.
    Last edited by TexasT; December-17-12 at 12:11 PM.

Visiting Kwame eh? do tell. Now most of your posts become oh so transparent.

People should not be afraid to go anywhere in Detroit. Most of your perceived fear is the fear inside yourself for being in a strange environment [[read: more white people). It goes both ways.

This region is hosed.

JVB Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Islandman View Post
    People should not be afraid to go anywhere in Detroit. Most of your perceived fear is the fear inside yourself for being in a strange environment [[read: more white people). It goes both ways.
    Exactly. Like I said above, I get looked at funny in predominantly black areas too. People's minds are trained to notice something "different", I think it's just the way the human mind works.

Exactly. Like I said above, I get looked at funny in predominantly black areas too. People's minds are trained to notice something "different", I think it's just the way the human mind works.
    Its a difference between funny looks and looking terrified. I do understand though now that I think about it. Cause if I see a White Boy with tatoos allover and a confederate flag w/ wrangler jeans on I get a little axiety. Same as if I see a Black Dude w/ pants hanging down, nappy braids, and dirty looking. So I guess you're right.

I know the feeling. I get looked at funny when I'm in all black areas too. I try not to read too much into it though. I think the human brain just looks for something that appears out of place, there isn't necessarily anything nefarious attached to it. There are of course exceptions, but as a general rule it's probably just a natural reaction.
    In my experience there is one major, but critical different. Whenever I am the random white boy in a predominately black area I tend to get accepted if for no other reason than being the novelty.

When I've been out with black friends in purely white areas there are only scared/shocked looks, possibly some following by security guards and comments from randoms [[when the black people aren't in ear shot)

I agree in the human nature aspect of something 'seeming' different but the treatment in the two scenarios is very, very different in my experience.

JVB Guest

Quote Originally Posted by jt1 View Post
    When I've been out with black friends in purely white areas there are only scared/shocked looks
    Jesus Christ dude, where are you hanging out that the site of a black person scares and shocks people?

Jesus Christ dude, where are you hanging out that the site of a black person scares and shocks people?
    Probably Livonia lol. It happens more than you can imagine. Especially in areas that few Blacks venture

Probably Livonia lol. It happens more than you can imagine. Especially in areas that few Blacks venture
    I was looking for a swim shop on Middlebelt.

I got turned around in a neighborhood in either Redord or Livonia.

Rode past a house with garage door sized rebel flag and the words "It ain't comin down".

I promptly got the fuck out of dodge.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast