Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

downtownguy... I have to retract part of my comments about the Grand Circus Theatre... when I went on a tour of the dilapidated structure, it was already dark outside... so any gaping holes in the roof would no longer shower the interior with light. There may well have been some...

Quote Originally Posted by AGinthe313 View Post
    My neighbor has intel on the future plans for this site. I think he's on this project in some capacity. I'll try to touch base with him and get back to the board. If I remember correctly, I think he said mixed use retail / parking / residential, but let me validate this.
    I hope it's something like this with a residential tower above it:

DDA now accepting bids for the demolition of the Bates Garage.

If I'm reading this correctly, if appears that the demo will start by April 25th, and be completed by July 25th.

http://www.degc.org/news.aspx/dda-no...q0-Vg.facebook

828 Bates
    Name:  DSC06618.jpg
Views: 758
Size:  53.9 KB

Quote Originally Posted by AGinthe313 View Post
    DDA now accepting bids for the demolition of the Bates Garage.

If I'm reading this correctly, if appears that the demo will start by April 25th, and be completed by July 25th.

http://www.degc.org/news.aspx/dda-no...q0-Vg.facebook

It's amazing to me how blase and oblivious the DDA is to the financial plight of the City. An Emergency Financial Manager is being appointed by the State, yet DDA has buckets of public money to spend on [[yet more) demolitions [[for questionable returns). Where the hell do they get their cojones? Is it any wonder the City is in a financial disaster?

GP, the DDA is an autonomous agency that uses tax dollars generated in a specific area. With all of the investment downtown the property values have increased, allowing them to be flush with dough.

That being said, there is a lot that the DDA could do to compliment the COD. One thing that Detroit needs more than anything is to get rid of unsafe buildings. Granted, the parking garage on Bates and Monroe may not be the most pressing building that needs to be torn down, but it is owned by the DDA and the DDA will ensure that it is developed in a way that will increase both the tax base it captures, as well as the part that goes into the City's General Fund.

Work has begun on the demolition of the garage. The inside is gutted, and there were multiply [[large) dumpsters being hauled out today.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    I was upset about this article and even emailed Curbed staff when it came out. The block, which they picture, has three separate buildings and an empty lot on it. Gilbert used 'stealth mode' to get one of them... hardly a city block. The city already owns the Bates garage, and can't remember if they or someone else owns the theater, and still another group owns and/or operates a parking lot on the empty corner.

Now, I'm sure that the DDA will be happy to turn it over to Gilbert once they tear down the garage... would be a great connecting block between CM and Greektown. They just desparately need something, even a landscape 10' wide island, to make the task of crossing Raldolph less like running across I-94.

Quote Originally Posted by cramerro View Post
    Now, I'm sure that the DDA will be happy to turn it over to Gilbert once they tear down the garage... would be a great connecting block between CM and Greektown. They just desparately need something, even a landscape 10' wide island, to make the task of crossing Raldolph less like running across I-94.
    In Full agreement there. I can't see why they can't bring the blvd N that tapers out in front of the County Building. Then again trying to get it on DPW's radar would be tough. https://maps.google.com/maps?q=rando...,0.009645&z=17

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    GP, the DDA is an autonomous agency that uses tax dollars generated in a specific area. With all of the investment downtown the property values have increased, allowing them to be flush with dough.

That being said, there is a lot that the DDA could do to compliment the COD. One thing that Detroit needs more than anything is to get rid of unsafe buildings. Granted, the parking garage on Bates and Monroe may not be the most pressing building that needs to be torn down, but it is owned by the DDA and the DDA will ensure that it is developed in a way that will increase both the tax base it captures, as well as the part that goes into the City's General Fund.
    The city and its various agencies have a lot of money. Detroit's financial problem isn't money. Its allocation of money.

As to 'most pressing'.... remember that the DDA is a 'development' agency. Choice of what to do to foster development is very subjective. Demolition of this garage seems like a good idea to me. The building has served well -- but seems past its life expectancy. Whatever goes up, I hope it also has street retail.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3