Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by EASTSIDE CAT 67-83 View Post
    When I was a teenager I remember a bakery that was between Bishop and Grayton across from the Vouge parking lot that had the best onion rolls, we'd get in there just as the place opened and get them fresh out of the onion.
    Hodell's Cake Box? Our wedding cake was from there!

Quote Originally Posted by poobert View Post
    First Place Lounge is a decent bar if you just want a cheap beer - not seedy [[though not classy).
    Didn't that establishment used to be Jac's Detour Lounge?

Quote Originally Posted by TKshreve View Post
    Funny, I didn't see anybody mention yet the Late-Great Geneva's fine dining Ristorante'..... I actually bought a tee-shirt from them during one of my late night rendezvous' back in the day. No other shirt in my wardrobe garners more compliments and attention. My brothers make fun of me for wearing it, but then like one minute later someone will come up and say "Hey! Nice Shirt!" Probably one of the smartest purchases I made during the 2000's [[or late 90's).
    Loved Geneva burgers!!!

And as long as we've extended the discussion to establishments on Harper east of Cadieux, gotta mention Daly's Drive-In. My best friend worked there for 2 years or so back in the mid-70's.

I remember Golden Buddha very well. We alternated between there and Silver Dragon on Kelly for Chinese food. I even had my rehearsal dinner there in '82.

Golden Buddha in 1970... you're welcome.

Also... Kava Bowl? Kava Bowl!!!

Name:  Golden Buddha 1970.jpg
Views: 2319
Size:  57.2 KB

The Vogue and for many who have been posting on this thread a little further up Harper the Eastside Drive-In.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Just remembered Teds Dq was where my sister worked.... Kathleen thanks for reminding me of Hodells, how could I forget. I ran those streets from about 74-83. Great neighborhood! it was my second home next to Jeff/Chalmers.

The Vogue Theate was built in 1937, designed by Periera & Periera [[same designers of the 2,950 seat Oriental/Downtown RKO Theatre on W. Adams., razed 1953).

The Vogue had 1,420 seats, and closed in 1977. In 1979 there was a "mysterious fire" that damaged the building, and it was torn down for a MacDonalds.

The Moderne style building had a 2 story retail/office block to the left side of the theatre.

p69.... Microsoft Office "Resize" is your friend....
    Last edited by Gistok; December-14-12 at 05:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    The Vogue Theate was built in 1937, designed by Periera & Periera [[same designers of the 2,950 seat Oriental/Downtown RKO Theatre on W. Adams., razed 1953).

The Vogue had 1,420 seats, and closed in 1977. In 1979 there was a "mysterious fire" that damaged the building, and it was torn down for a MacDonalds.

The Moderne style building had a 2 story retail/office block to the left side of the theatre.

p69.... Microsoft Office "Resize" is your friend....
    Thx I know just to lazy to take the time to resize the image.

The Golden Buddha used to have a flaming volcano drink. It was served in a green porcelain volcano. The alcohol was flaming at the top. Great food too.

Quote Originally Posted by Kathleen View Post
    Didn't that establishment used to be Jac's Detour Lounge?
    No, Jac's Detour was on the corner of Bishop and Harper, 1st Place was down by Blanckes Mkt.

Quote Originally Posted by EASTSIDE CAT 67-83 View Post
    Since the OP's topic was food on the Harper corridor I thought I'd mention a few... Corfus that was next to Harper sports and a little further down from there was Cals. When I was a teenager I remember a bakery that was between Bishop and Grayton across from the Vouge parking lot that had the best onion rolls, we'd get in there just as the place opened and get them fresh out of the onion. My sister also worked in a DQ of sorts across from the Golden Buddha which worked out for many a free Parfaits. Great memories.
    When did the Vogue close? We usually went to the Civic or the Vogue since both were in walking distance.

I think it closed in 1977

It 77 for sure. I was working ther at the time. Start at the Alger, it closed then on to Vouge, it closed, then on to the Eastland as I basically did an east side tour of Suburban Detroit Theatres. The Eastlan closing wasn't my fault - I was Lon gone by then

Quote Originally Posted by tarkus View Post
    No, Jac's Detour was on the corner of Bishop and Harper, 1st Place was down by Blanckes Mkt.
    I can't place Blancke's Market. Between what two streets?

And what currently is where Jac's Detour was? Seems to me that even Jac's had an earlier name?

I spent one more than interesting December night at the Golden Budaha sipping on a Kava Bowl with a coworker's crew of friends. Back in 2004 ish

I was taking pics on Ducchess and took a few quick images on Harper on the way back to work.

Hodell's Cake Box? Our wedding cake was from there!
    Hodells Cake Shop, 31387 Harper, St. Clair Shores, MI., at 13 Mile.
    They make the best bumpy cake since Sanders.

Blanckes was on the corner of Harvard and Harper across from the Vogue. Jac's Detour is now Firewater. Jac's had the worlds best burritos.
    I can't place Blancke's Market. Between what two streets?

And what currently is where Jac's Detour was? Seems to me that even Jac's had an earlier name?

Quote Originally Posted by WKL View Post
    It 77 for sure. I was working ther at the time. Start at the Alger, it closed then on to Vouge, it closed, then on to the Eastland as I basically did an east side tour of Suburban Detroit Theatres. The Eastlan closing wasn't my fault - I was Lon gone by then
    We most commonly went to the Civic or the Vogue, but we often would see shows at the Ramona, Alger, Harper, and Woods.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post
    We most commonly went to the Civic or the Vogue, but we often would see shows at the Ramona, Alger, Harper, and Woods.
    The largest of those theatres was the 2,500 seat Woods, which along with the Eastown was the largest east side theatre.

The Ramona appeared to be a twin of the Riviera [[or Grand Riviera) on Grand Rivier, but it only looked that way as far as the rotunda was concerned. The Riviera was a larger theatre [[seating 2,786). The 2,020 seat Ramona had a very small shelf balcony that was closed during the later years, while the Riviera had a large balcony [[hence the greater seating capacity).

The Alger Theatre had 1,182 seats and has been struggling just to survive ever since since it closed.

The Harper Theatre, now Harpo's went from a 1,975 seat theatre to a heavy metal rock concert venue. If it weren't for that, it would not have survived to this day

The Civic Theatre had 1,455 seats. The Alger Theatre has 825 seats... and it has been an uphill battle to ever get it open again.

Images of the Harper and Ramona, I cannot find my images of the Civic and the Alger. I did post an image of the Civic taken last fall but cannot what thread its located in.

Images of the Woods Theatre in its original configuration. I was fortunate enough to see a movie screened there when it was a single screen theatre and unfortunate to be there in its last disfigured arrangement.

Default Photos of interior of Golden Buddha?

Hello, does anyone have any interior photos of the good ole Golden Buddha? Loved that place! i was a kid and teenager when my family would go there.

Sorry to dig up this old thread, but does anyone remember who owned the Golden Buddha? We used to eat at Canton Inn, which was on Van Dyke in Centerline in the 60s or early 70s, but moved to Gratiot in Roseville. I seem to remember the paper placemats advertising both the Canton Inn and the Golden Buddha on Harper [[and my mother mentioning that they had the same owner). I know Canton Inn sold out, as I last visited back in 2008, didn't recognize anyone, and the food was terrible. I think it is closed up now, and run down. A sad ending to the place.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast