Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Thread: Club 1270

Default Club 1270

For those of you who got tosee this show, lets hear some stories.

Frank Zappa & The Mothers Of Invention on local TV:
    July, 1966

The Real Frank Zappa Book p. 79
    In Detroit, we did a television show where we were asked to do something perverted: "lip-sync our hit." We didn't have a 'hit,' but the producer said, "Lip-sync your hit--or else." So I asked, "Do you have a prop department here?" Fortunately, there was one.
    From it, I gathered an assortment of random objects and built a set. We had been asked to pretend to play either "How Could I Be Such a Fool?" or "Who Are the Brain Police?" so I suggested that each member of the group choose a repeatable physical action, not necessarily in sync with [[or even related to) the lyrics, and do it over and over until our spot on the show was concluded--Detroit's first whiff of homemade prime-time Dada.
    Michael Gray Mother! p. 77
    On Saturday 16 July, The Mothers again appeared on TV, this time on Dave Prince's Club 1270 show on WXYZ.
    Last edited by Bobl; June-29-09 at 12:43 PM.

Sludgedaddy Guest

Club 1270 was a "teen night club" type of format for TV. It was the domain of many "Continental" style greasers of that era. Many sported stove pipe sharkskin pants, no collar or black felt collar suit jackets and skinny ties. Girls were all bee-hived out in the manner of the then popular girl groups.

I remember seeing the very young Rolling Stones on Club 1270 circa 1964. As the Stones performed, many of the Continentals, who disliked "frats" or long-hairs, could be observed in the background pounding their fists into an open palm to express their displeasure. What seemed to really rile them , was when Mick removed one of his shoes to scratch a bare foot.

diver1369 Guest

My folks saw the Mothers at Metro airport around the time of this appearance. They were described as dirty and smelly to me. Not that far into the future, I'd be an other person too.

Was working at the Free Press when Susan Stark had the Mothers in for an interview. Caused a lot of chaos in the news room and a lot of laughs. They went out of their way to look dirty, disheveled, but they were funny.

[quote=Sludgedaddy;38928] "Club 1270 was a "teen night club" type of format for TV. It was the domain of many "Continental" style greasers of that era. Many sported stove pipe sharkskin pants, no collar or black felt collar suit jackets and skinny ties. Girls were all bee-hived out in the manner of the then popular girl groups."

Ah, those beehives! I was not a greaser, and certainly not continental, but ran into many of them when purchasing my Levis at Jacks Fifth Avenue, on Gratiot.
    The Club 1270 crowd hung out at The Drumbeat Club, which actually had some good music. My mates and I would don our leathers and grease back our hair when we went there.

I remember Joel Sabastian and Lee [[the Horn) Allen on TV.. The Beau Brummells hung around a fence
    lip syncing their song on one show.

I watched it many times.. I remember seeing Billy Lee and The Rivieras [[before they changed their name to Mitch Ryder Y Sus Detroit Wheels); one of the songs they covered was Lee Rogers' huge local hit "I Want You to Have Everything", really impressive..

Too bad no footage of this exists.

Does anybody know if the Sunliners did this show.

Ah, those were the good old days. I was one with the huge beehive, lol.

The Sunliners did the show.. There was another local band that was on regularly, The Headliners; I think Bob Babbitt was the bass player..

I just posted on the main Forum page, then found this Club 1270 thread. Do you have pictures from Club 1270? Were you a dancer on the show? I have a friend who was a dancer and she is turning 70 on May 5th. I want to surprise her with some pictures. All help appreciated! [[I have already researched online and offline extensively, but just found this forum today.) Thanks!