Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Something just came to mind thinking about the "Au" in Aubin. We all remember Robbie Timmins from WXYZ...does anyone else recall the way she would say "auto", which is of course a word that comes up alot in Detroit. She would pronounced, "a-toe", like the pronunciation of "a" in cat in the Midwest. Very flat. I always found it interesting such a pronunciation.

Quote Originally Posted by dtowncitylover View Post
    Saint Aw-bin
    An-tee-tem, like the Civil War battle
    Unsure, actually.
    Trum-bull
    Thanks, but I need to know where the word stress goes. AN-tee-tem vs an-TEE-tem vs an-tee-TEM. Never studied the US civil war in school [[I'm Canadian.)

EDIT: Never mind, I got the pronunciation from Wikipedia. /ęnˈttəm/. It's helpful knowing IPA.

Does Trumbull rhyme with "rumble" or is it trum-BULL?
    Last edited by Kirįly; December-21-12 at 07:53 PM.

Trum' Bull There is a little more roundness to it than the -ble sound.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirįly View Post
    ... EDIT: Never mind, I got the pronunciation from Wikipedia. /ęnˈttəm/. It's helpful knowing IPA. ...
    The IPA stress mark [[ˈ) comes before the syllable that has the stress, in contrast to stress marking in pronunciation keys of some dictionaries published in the United States.
    That's worth noting carefully. It really threw me off at first.

Some links to audio recordings of pronunciations by Detroiters would help here.

I recall such recordings of Michigander's accents by some university years ago but I think it disappeared from the web.

Sorry Kiraly! I will remember in the future to place the stress mark.

Detroit/Toledo area people have a slight Eastern accent and nasal tones possibly affecting pronunciation. At least that is what I was told by someone who pinpointed where I came from. Listening to two Detroit voices from dtowncitylover's post, I noticed instead a certain staccato delivery.
    Last edited by oladub; December-22-12 at 02:01 AM.

So is it TRUM-bull or trum-BULL? Does the stress go on the first or second syllable?

Quote Originally Posted by dtowncitylover View Post
    I almost missed your post.

I think that one is even better than the one I remembered. That's very helpful. Thanks for posting it!

TRUM Bull.

How about "Larned"? larr-NED or LARR-nud or...?

Around here I here it pronounced "Lahr ned" and even "Lurn ed" but in my family it was pronounced "learn ned" but that may be due to the fact that General Charles Larned is an old dead uncle and we have a few dead cousins who used Larned as a first name.

Thanks gnome. Again, which is the stressed syllable? First or second?

LAHR-ned vs lahr-NED
    LURN-ed vs lurn-ED

Thanks.

I would say the emphasis is on the first syllable.

And I apologize for spelling spelling hear, h-e-r-e.

Nobody mentioned "Cadieux". Pronounced Ca-Jew.

Quote Originally Posted by 65memories View Post
    Lahser...the family was once on J.P. McCarthy's Focus show on WJR and they confirmed that they pronounce their last name LASH-er
    That's interesting...I guess they'd know. That may explain why I always heard WJR called it Lasher in their traffic reports, and I always thought "That's WRONG!!" Interesting seeing people talk about localized differences within the metro as well - how it's usually "Lasher" in Wayne County, but somebody in Birmingham would more likely say Lah-ser.

Of course there's precedent for scrambling letters in the way things are pronounced. "IRON" is a quick example [[and WHY is "fiery" spelled the way it is, for that matter?).

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    Interstate 17Can't think of any others though.

Edit: Here's a List of intrastate Interstate Highways
    The strangest one is Interstate 88, which is entirely within New York State. And, a few hundreds miles to the west [[with no hint of continuity), Interstate 88 is entirely within Illinois.

This is more about how to talk like a global than a local: Before Babel: In Search of The First Language [[total duration 48 minutes).

Was there really only one first language? I'm guessing that just because other first languages are no longer extant, it doesn't necessarily follow that they never existed. Maybe the others existed and simply died off?

It's important to remember that today's English spelling rules are far more standardized than they were only a few hundred years ago. There's far more variance, uncertainty, as we recede into history.
    Last edited by Jimaz; March-12-13 at 10:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post
    I wonder how many other two-digit Interstates only run in one state, outside of Hawai'i of course...that one's easy.
    17 unless you count I-88 as one but there is an I-88 [[east) and I-88 [[west) keeping them seperate interstates. The list goes: I-4 in Florida, I-12 in Louisiana, I-16 in Georgia, I-17 in Arizona, I-19 in Arizona, I-27 in Texas, I-37 in Texas, I-43 in Wisconsin, I-45 in Texas, I-73 in North Carolina, I-86 [[west) in Idaho, I-87 in New York, I-88 [[west) in Illinois, I-88 [[east) in New York, I-96 in Michigan, I-97 in Maryland and I-99 in Pennsylvania.

Quote Originally Posted by frankfrank View Post
    The strangest one is Interstate 88, which is entirely within New York State. And, a few hundreds miles to the west [[with no hint of continuity), Interstate 88 is entirely within Illinois.
    A few hundred miles? It's 723 miles from Binghamton, NY on the western end of I-88 [[east) to Hillside, IL on the eastern end of I-88 [[west).

Despite the meandering nature of the posts, this thread combines my two favorite subjects: Language and Geography. If Mr./Ms. King [[that's Kirįly to you and me) would look further a field in southwest Michigan, s/he would a see a small city named Milan, like the one in Italy. They are not pronounced the same.

I meant to type southeast Michigan -- although SW of Detroit. oops.

Another one: Beaubien

BOW-bean BOW-bine bu'BINE or...?

BOW-bee-en
    Last edited by Brock7; June-18-13 at 01:43 AM.

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast