Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Really? I say The Jeffries and The Davison and The Southfield Freeway and, of course, The Lodge. If I'm giving directions to out-of-towners I use the numbers.

And as far as most Detroiters go, there is only one Mojo - the Electrifying Mojo. The one that is on 95.5 is an imposter and should be banned from using the name of the Electrifying one. Big Wammy Woh!

Quote Originally Posted by Dexlin View Post
    Really? I say The Jeffries and The Davison and The Southfield Freeway and, of course, The Lodge. If I'm giving directions to out-of-towners I use the numbers.
    Only one of those is an Interstate...but I'd say most north of 8 Mile barely know of I-96 as Jeffries. [[It's just what they call I-696 west of Novi on the way to college.) Didn't realize until I looked it up, but I-96 isn't really an Interstate freeway, heh. It only runs within Michigan. I wonder how many other two-digit Interstates only run in one state, outside of Hawai'i of course...that one's easy.

As a Westsider, the Southfield was a regular jaunt...twice a day, usually. Our eastside border was basically the Lodge, and I can still remember how foreign it looked the first time I drove it.

I don't think we ever related to these by their number, Telegraph either...although that highway goes all the way to Florida.

But I was talking about the Interstates...the I-'s...

Quote Originally Posted by Dexlin View Post
    A Detroit newbie, I rarely get numbers. I most commonly hear the ones you just mentioned, and still have no idea which is which.

It's the same in Houston though, except since we aren't on a body of water, each highway has a different name depending on which side of the city it's on [[ie I45 north of Houston is the North Freeway, 45 south is the Gulf Freeway).

Definitely noticed ChryslerS, MeijerS, etc thing - I even say Meijers now.

The Davison doesn't get the respect it should...isn't it the oldest mile of highway in the country?! I know it would change things at street level, but it really should run straight through to I-96. It'd make rush hour a wee bit easier in that crush of I-94 between I-75 and I-96.

Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post
    The Davison doesn't get the respect it should...isn't it the oldest mile of highway in the country?! I know it would change things at street level, but it really should run straight through to I-96. It'd make rush hour a wee bit easier in that crush of I-94 between I-75 and I-96.
    More freeway in Detroit??? Bite your tongue, heathen! You will be cast unceremoniously out of DetroitYes by the arts, music, and culture crowd.

Heck, the ones I party with live just south of Davison off Linwood...and they wouldn't mind if it was a freeway...it'd make getting to their westside gigs that much easier!

... I wonder how many other two-digit Interstates only run in one state, outside of Hawai'i of course...that one's easy....
    Interstate 17
    Interstate 17 [[I-17), also known as the Black Canyon Freeway, is an Interstate Highway located entirely within the state of Arizona, United States. I-17's southern terminus lies within Phoenix, at Interstate 10, and its northern terminus is in Flagstaff, just north of Interstate 40.
    Can't think of any others though.

Edit: Here's a List of intrastate Interstate Highways
    Last edited by Jimaz; December-10-12 at 12:45 PM.

Nice tear up two more historic districts!

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    Interstate 17Can't think of any others though.
    Here is a list- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...state_Highways

Quote Originally Posted by p69rrh51 View Post
    Nice tear up two more historic districts!
    You could put any freeway you wanted in or through the city by just connecting abandoned property.

I'm a native Texan and people use the possessive there too. It's not just a Michigan thing.

Quote Originally Posted by 56packman View Post
    You could put any freeway you wanted in or through the city by just connecting abandoned property.
    In this instance Oakman Boulevard Historic District would be impossible to avoid and that district is for the most part in decent condition with hardly any abandoned properties. Also Russel Woods-Sullivan Historic District would be affected.

Actually, that was planned. Much of the land was acquired, and many houses and commercial buildings were torn down in the '70s along Davison between the Lodge and the Jeffries right-of-way. Davison was widened out west of Livernois and a big spur was built [[that is still in use today) from the Jeffries to connect to the anticipated Davison Freeway extension.

Construction was supposed to start soon after the Jeffries was opened in the late '70s. However, freeway construction was falling out of favor by then and money to build them was drying up, so the project was shelved. For a few years thereafter that section of Davison remained torn up and surrounded by muddy lots and a few holdout homes and businesses, but eventually it became the corridor of strip malls, fast food, and gas stations that you see today.

The Davison Freeway was also supposed to be extended eastward from the Chrysler to an interchange with another freeway coming up the east side that was never built [[which was also supposed to connect to that Gratiot spur of the Fisher Freeway). That's why it runs past the Chrysler and ends abruptly and mysteriously around Conant.

The Davison Fwy was supposed to continue on at around McNichols eastward, and then go south along Conner Ave., and connect into I-94... which is why the I-94/Conner interchange is so strange. Also there is land along Conner between I-94 and Gratiot that is still empty.

However, I don't ever remember reading about a continuation south of the Davison to connect to the Fisher... not saying it wasn't a possibility... but in all the historic documents I've read, I was always under the impression that I-94 was supposed to be the eastern terminus for the Davison.

Telegraph [[US 24) actually doesn't go to Florida, it goes to Colorado, west of Colorado Springs. We drove it the whole way a few years back. US 27 and US 23 go to Florida, Miami and Jacksonville respectively.

US 24 is even numbered because it actually is east-west, not north-south.

JVB Guest

Quote Originally Posted by gazhekwe View Post
    US 24 is even numbered because it actually is east-west, not north-south.
    I never feel like I'm going east or west when I travel north and south on Telegraph.

Quote Originally Posted by JVB View Post
    I never feel like I'm going east or west when I travel north and south on Telegraph.
    I never feel like I'm going east-west on I-94 from the indiana border to milwaukee either

well, that's true, and we'd hate to destory all of that significant Alex Pollack 70s awnings and smoked-glass globe lights.

Quote Originally Posted by p69rrh51 View Post
    In this instance Oakman Boulevard Historic District would be impossible to avoid and that district is for the most part in decent condition with hardly any abandoned properties. Also Russel Woods-Sullivan Historic District would be affected.

The Fisher Fwy. was supposed to continue down Vernor, which is why that spur to Gratiot was built. At various times it was proposed to hook up with a freeway that would run up Mt. Elliott and Mound Rd., or to run all the way across to Connor and turn northward to hook up with that Davison extension and the Ford Fwy.

I lived on a block that bordered Vernor in the '60s, and the houses at that end of the block were all sold, and sold cheaply, because it was assumed they they'd probably be taken by eminent domain to build a freeway in just a few years.

Quote Originally Posted by 56packman View Post
    well, that's true, and we'd hate to destory all of that significant Alex Pollack 70s awnings and smoked-glass globe lights.

I have not seen much 70's crap there in fact much of the area is pretty much untouched on the outside. Who knows what is on the inside. To help with your improve your knowledge of the 2 districts I am enclosing the final reports for Oakman and Russel Woods you may want to read them before you make more of your flip remarks! Oh by the way they are both city designated districts-almost impossible to have them raised.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by p69rrh51; December-10-12 at 05:44 PM.

K-Mart's IS silly, because I don't think there was ever a Mr. Mart connected with the store. Kresge's would be at least semi-valid because there was a Mr. Kresge, in the same way that there was Hendrick Meijer who started Meijer, and Fred G. Meyer started what we call Fred Meyer's out here in the Pacific Northleft.

The name association almost begs the 's. You worked at [[Walter P.) Chrysler's, or [[Henry) Ford's. Never General Motors' because thee was no human name attatched.

Only in Detroit would a thread about linguistics curl up in ball of a freeway planning seminar... Love Detroit...

Couple more please:

St. Aubin [[rhymes with bobbin?)
    Antietam Avenue
    Dubois St [[do-BOYS? do-BWA)?
    Trumbull [[rhymes with rumble?)

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Király View Post
    Couple more please:

St. Aubin [[rhymes with bobbin?)
    Antietam Avenue
    Dubois St [[do-BOYS? do-BWA)?
    Trumbull [[rhymes with rumble?)