Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by 313hero View Post
    ??????????????????? If the union workers want it, it will still be there right? if they want to pay, they will still pay right? way to show is to make the unions stronger right?
    Why would they pay dues if they can get union representation at no cost?

Welcome to the Plantation, Michigan!

Quote Originally Posted by ghettopalmetto View Post
    Why would they pay dues if they can get union representation at no cost?

Welcome to the Plantation, Michigan!
    So, basically what this line of logic is saying is that most people in Union jobs now are at their core, incredibly disloyal and will immediately stop paying dues because they'd prefer to mooch off the dues paying members. Since these d-bags are all about 2 seconds from being free riding mooches, IT MUST NOT BE ALLOWED.

Pretty despicable opinion of union rank and file....although, judging by the oft repeated laments about "free -riders!" , it is apparently the opinion shared by the union leaders and much of the members themselves.
    Last edited by bailey; December-11-12 at 04:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by President Sekou View Post
    Google "Tony Cummings". Some people think he's the guy throwing the punches partly because "Tony Cummings" is stenciled on his jacket. Possibly coincidence, but there is a union guy with that name already in trouble with the law from Cleveland. Of course, someone could have worn his jacket to assault the reporter. Other union people with more sense pulled him away.

Quote Originally Posted by President Sekou View Post
    so this comedian, actor fox new agitator didn't insert himself into this situation? looks to me he was asking for it.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0189589/

Signed now.
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/12/11/rick-snyder-right-to-work_n_2280050.html

I saw a sign in one of the crowd pics that said "Kick the Nerd to the Curb."

Options for appeal:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/1...n_2277178.html
    Last edited by Pam; December-11-12 at 07:05 PM.

As President Obama said the other day this smacks of politics more than economics. The Repubs were in a rush to pass RTW during the lame duck session because they might not have been able to do so otherwise. This should be a lesson to Mich Dems that if you have a Repub House, Senate and Gov things are going to happen that you won't like. However instead of all this recall talk [[recalls rarely work) start the planning now [[ Obama's campaign offers the perfect template) to make state government a little more balanced. After all 2014 will be here very quickly.

JVB Guest

We directly measured productivity in our union and non-union shops. Our non-union shop was always the leader in productivity. That may be anecdotal, but if there is evidence to indicate this isn't normally the case I'd love to see it.

DetroitYES Home » Non Detroit Issues » Thom Hartmann » Was the AFP tent attack faked?

I suppose it would seem more unusual if there were no faked attacks at a labor demonstration.

A human interest story with a happy ending has come out of the assaults at the State Capitol. A local hot dog vendor, Clint Tarver, who regularly sells hot dogs in front of the Capitol had his hot dog stand overturned and damaged by union members attacking the tent next door. Racial slurs were aimed at Mr. Tarver by union members. Over $18,000 has since been donated to buy him a new cart. One of the donations even came from a local Lansing union.

JVB Guest

lol it's funny to see so many people upset about a politician lying. Look at all the shit Obama lied about and you guys voted him right back in. Name a politician [[other than Dennis Kucinich or Ron Paul) that hasn't lied repeatedly to get elected or stay in office.

Default Despite Protest of Michigan's Anti-Union Law, Deep Pockets of GOP Backers Prevail

DemocracyNow.org - Michigan Republican Governor Rick Snyder has signed into law two highly controversial anti-union bills, officially making the historic union stronghold the 24th so-called "right-to-work" state in the country. On Tuesday, thousands of demonstrators flooded the state capitol in Lansing to denounce the bill as an organized attack against labor that will lower wages and diminish collective bargaining rights.

When someone with the demonstrated intellectual capacity of Moaf has to stoop to the inanity of #91 it confirms you won big.

Quote Originally Posted by coracle View Post
    When someone with the demonstrated intellectual capacity of Moaf has to stoop to the inanity of #91 it confirms you won big.
    get outta here. we all know he went back on his word. the billionare koch brothers have his back though...like a puppet on a string. that makes three assholes.

Did anyone hear Rick Snyder on Morning Edition today?

He was completely unable to defend RTW. He didn't even try. He said you'd have to ask businesses why RTW would cause them to create jobs in Michigan and then admitted to having not spoken with any businesses. He pointed to Indiana but could not explain how or why it worked, even being pressed to answer.

Quote Originally Posted by noise View Post
    Did anyone hear Rick Snyder on Morning Edition today?

He was completely unable to defend RTW. He didn't even try. He said you'd have to ask businesses why RTW would cause them to create jobs in Michigan and then admitted to having not spoken with any businesses. He pointed to Indiana but could not explain how or why it worked, even being pressed to answer.
    Snyder is the new Yall's Boy.

It's gonna be interesting to see how this changes the dynamics of the state going forward.

It's one thing to fuck with welfare recipients, public school children and cash strapped communities.

But he just struck a blow at people's livelihoods.

I think he really just set off a war his people aren't ready for. Michigan has always been bluer than Indiana.

Maybe I'm wrong and people will still vote these clowns in, but I don't think so.

Quote Originally Posted by brizee View Post

It's gonna be interesting to see how this changes the dynamics of the state going forward.

It's one thing to fuck with welfare recipients, public school children and cash strapped communities.

I think he really just set off a war his people aren't ready for. Michigan has always been bluer than Indiana.

Maybe I'm wrong and people will still vote these clowns in, but I don't think so.
    Maybe maybe not. I think one thing to remember is that people in unions in this state are a shrinking minority of the working populace. Any "blow" being struck was at a sub segment of less than 20% of the whole. I'm not sure there isn't just a lot of light and no heat to this. I think the disaster that was Prop 2 should be a serious warning to the unions about what chances they have at the ballot box regarding recalls, referendums...etc.

It's a symbolic battle ground to be sure, but the heavy lifting on both sides is going to be from generally out of state special interest groups.... just like Wisconsin.
    Last edited by bailey; December-13-12 at 03:02 PM.

He's comparing whats happened in Indiana [[another republican State ) My inlaws moved to Indiana over 20 years ago , they've always have trouble finding work and still do to this day . I remember just after Snyder took office someone asked him if were were interested in a 2nd term , his response was something like if he gets his agenda [[didn't mention what his agenda was) completed , he would not run again . I haven't seen him do anything yet that benefits Michiganders , cutting unemployment benefits from 26 weeks to 20 weeks in one of the worst States job wise , doing away with the helmet law , now the RTW , and currently working on making it harder for a woman to get an abortion .. what's next ?

JVB Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Wingnatic View Post
    ...and currently working on making it harder for a woman to get an abortion .. what's next ?
    I had a friend of mine get an infection and almost die after getting one a few years ago. From what I've read doesn't that bill just require abortion clinics to have to meet certain sanitary requirements like a regular medical clinic? I don't know if that makes it harder to get an abortion, but it definitely makes it safer which should be priority number one.

Quote Originally Posted by Wingnatic View Post
    He's comparing whats happened in Indiana [[another republican State ) My inlaws moved to Indiana over 20 years ago , they've always have trouble finding work and still do to this day . I remember just after Snyder took office someone asked him if were were interested in a 2nd term , his response was something like if he gets his agenda [[didn't mention what his agenda was) completed , he would not run again . I haven't seen him do anything yet that benefits Michiganders , cutting unemployment benefits from 26 weeks to 20 weeks in one of the worst States job wise , doing away with the helmet law , now the RTW , and currently working on making it harder for a woman to get an abortion .. what's next ?
    You're exactly right. After he gets done _ucking this state up during his term in office, he will pull a John Engler and leave office for the private sector, just as "fat boy" did. I bet he has no intentions of running for a second term after he inflicts his damage.
    Last edited by Cincinnati_Kid; December-15-12 at 05:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by brizee View Post

Michigan's a strange state politically.

Even in Detroit [[which is easily the most liberal part of the state), the peole are very socially conservative [[see the influences in Detroit's politics from the churches and the blue-collar folks in Macomb County voting for Reagan in the 1980s).

I think the only reason Michigan has been blue for a long time is because of the labor unions.

Even with the past two elections, despite going blue at the Federal Level, both houses in the legislature were solidly red and the Governor's Office is red.
    Last edited by 313WX; December-15-12 at 10:49 PM.

http://www.senatedems.com/news/artic...ng-it-into-law

“The public was not given an opportunity to read these bills, legislators were not given an opportunity to read these bills, and we now know that the Governor himself either didn't read or didn't understand these bills himself,” said Senator Bert Johnson [[D – Detroit). “This process has been a complete affront to Democracy from the start and was nothing more than a political gift to the Koch Brothers and ALEC who bought and paid for this legislation.”

A series of questions have been raised in recent days over the legality of the “Right to Work” legislation as well as the process in which it passed. A lawsuit has already been filed against the Michigan House of Representatives for violating the Open Meetings Act as these bills were passed while the public was illegally locked out of the State Capitol and additional legal challenges are expected in the coming days.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast