Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Built by Walter S. Russel in 1890 and one of a few pre-1900 homes to occupy two locations outside of Brush Park and Woodbridge.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by p69rrh51; December-03-12 at 05:26 PM.

Built by S. J. Martin in 1882 found outside of Brush Park and Woodbridge.

Two pre-1900 homes built by Guy Vinton found outside of Brush Park and Woodbridge.

Built by Gearing & Company in 1883 found outside of Brush Park and Woodbridge.

Built by Patrick Dee in 1895 found outside of Brush Park and Woodbridge.

My paternal grandmother's family has lived on the east side since they came from Scotland [[via Canada) in the 1840s. My grandmother was born in 1908 on Meldrum near Lafayette [[then known as Champlain) in one of the very few houses that is still standing in that area. The houses there were mostly built in the 1880s and 90s, but they were just little frame shacks compared to the big brick houses posted by p69rrh51.

If you look at old maps you'll see that the east side generally developed later and more slowly than the west side. In part because much of the land on the east side was low-lying and rather swampy. It wasn't until the coming of the auto industry that the east side really boomed.

My grandmother's family moved out to Eastlawn near Vernor a few years after she was born, and that area was still damp and mostly empty then. She remembered sitting on her porch and being able to see the interurban cars running down on Jefferson. Members of my family lived in that house into the 1980s.
    Last edited by EastsideAl; December-03-12 at 03:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    My paternal grandmother's family has lived on the east side since they came from Scotland [[via Canada) in the 1840s. My grandmother was born in 1908 on Meldrum near Lafayette [[then known as Champlain) in one of the very few houses that is still standing in that area. The houses there were mostly built in the 1880s and 90s, but they were just little frame shacks compared to the big brick houses posted by p69rrh51.

If you look at old maps you'll see that the east side generally developed later and more slowly than the west side. In part because much of the land on the east side was low-lying and rather swampy. It wasn't until the coming of the auto industry that the east side really boomed.

My grandmother's family moved out to Eastlawn near Vernor a few years after she was born, and that area was still damp and mostly empty then. She remembered sitting on her porch and being able to see the interurban cars running down on Jefferson. Members of my family lived in that house into the 1980s.
    Just for you eastside-three homes built by William Starr's Company in 1886 in Corktown. Starr's Company also built a few homes in Indian Village.

Five pre-1900 homes/apartment building designed by Malcomson & Higginbotham found outside of Brush Park and Woodbridge.

Cannot leave Louis Kamper out of the mix, two pre-1900 homes found outside of Brush Park and Woodbridge.
    Last edited by p69rrh51; December-03-12 at 04:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by p69rrh51 View Post
    Just for you eastside-three homes built by William Starr's Company in 1886 in Corktown. Starr's Company also built a few homes in Indian Village.
    Those look a lot like many small houses that once stood on the lower blocks of the east side between the West Village and downtown. Including the one my grandfather live in as a child on Field near Jefferson. I think only a very few of those are still standing over here on the east side now.

A pre-1900 design by John Shoening found outside of Brush Park and Woodbridge.

Detroit's world famous Shingle Style home the 1890 design by Wilson Eyre another home found outside of Brush Park and Woodbridge.

Two pre-1900 designs from Mortimer Smith & Sons found outside of Brush Park and Woodbridge.

Where is the Shingle House located? Stromberg2

A pre-1900 design by Leon Coquard found outside of Brush Park and Woodbridge.

Last pre-1900 home built by August Dietrich & Son found outside of Brush Park and Woodbridge. There are many more undocumented late 19th Century homes around Detroit, as well as the metro area.

Quote Originally Posted by stromberg2 View Post
    Where is the Shingle House located? Stromberg2
    The home was built by Charles Lang Freer and is located at 71 East Ferry directly behind the Hecker Mansion. The house is fabulous and well worth a visit along with all the homes in the East Ferry Historic District.
    Last edited by p69rrh51; December-03-12 at 05:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by p69rrh51 View Post
    The home was built by Charles Lang Freer and is located at 71 East Ferry directly behind the Hecker Mansion. The house is fabulous and well worth a visit along with all the homes in the East Ferry Historic District.
    That house once contained James McNeill Whistler's famous 'Peacock Room', which is now in the Smithsonian's Freer Gallery of Art in Washington DC.

http://www.asia.si.edu/exhibitions/c...eacockroom.asp

Freer built his mansion as a framework for his Asian art collection. Today it's part of the Merrill-Palmer Institute. Towards the end of his life, he got cheesed off with the Detroit arts community and therefore left his collection to the Smithsonian...

... the bastard...

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Freer built his mansion as a framework for his Asian art collection. Today it's part of the Merrill-Palmer Institute. Towards the end of his life, he got cheesed off with the Detroit arts community and therefore left his collection to the Smithsonian...

... the bastard...
    As a member of The Freer House and a volunteer at their events, I've heard many presentations that refute the above allegation that Freer left his collection to the Smithsonian because of ill feelings toward the Detroit Art Museum and the arts community here.

In this 2008 Hour Detroit piece entitled The Legacy of Charles L. Freer, there is some discussion of why Freer's collection went to Washington, DC.
    http://www.hourdetroit.com/Hour-Detr...s-L-Freer/from

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post

... the bastard...
    I've always been told that he was deeply stung by the rejection of his grand plan for a huge Detroit bicentennial monument on Belle Isle [[with the city eventually taking the money of the disreputable and hated James Scott instead to build a fountain in the same location). And due to that, and perhaps under the spell of Whistler, he came to think of Detroit as a cultural backwater that was not a suitable location for his grand collection. But he did help buy the land on which the DIA sits, was involved in governing the museum back when it was the private Detroit Museum of Art, and gave quite a few artworks to the place, so not all was bastardly.

My sister went to nursery school in the Freer House at Merrill-Palmer Institute.
    Last edited by EastsideAl; December-03-12 at 06:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kathleen View Post
    As a member of The Freer House and a volunteer at their events, I've heard many presentations that refute the above allegation that Freer left his collection to the Smithsonian because of ill feelings toward the Detroit Art Museum and the arts community here.

In this 2008 Hour Detroit piece entitled The Legacy of Charles L. Freer, there is some discussion of why Freer's collection went to Washington, DC.
    http://www.hourdetroit.com/Hour-Detr...s-L-Freer/from
    He left over a 100,000 items to the DIA if I remember correctly. Unfortunately the items the DIA wanted were the Whistlers and the Asian art. He wanted the whole country to see the collection hence the gift to the Smithsonian. If you have not been to the gallery its well worth the going to the Charles Platt designed building and the collection in DC its very impressive.

WOW! All the responses. Malcolmson and Higginbotham. Know that name well as a Wayne State Alumnus. They designed "Old Main" which used to be a high school. Lots of additions make it difficult to navigate. I was on time to class for a few weeks then late b/c I got Lost! My late Mother "how come you got Lost all of a sudden?"

"I was following another student every day and today he was absent!" LOL

The irony here is that "Midtown" which is really the Cass Corridor was I think FULL of Victorians at one time. These were torn down to make room for the apartments and residential Hotels which became...Slums. Some are being rehabbed into lofts. There is an 1887 residential Hotel near the Fisher Freeway probably inhabited by old mentally ill folk.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitHabitater View Post
    I'm in corktown and i've found records of my house dating to 1858.....I always like to imagine the owner of my house on the porch hearing the paperboy crying out that fort Sumter has been fired upon.
    What a nice vision!

Well.... I'll take what Robert Hudson Tannahill left for Detroit over what Charles Lang Freer did any day...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast