Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    For those who haven't read it, the Metro Times has a interesting article on the City Council [[from a different perspective than the MSM).

http://metrotimes.com/news/council-s...ions-1.1409005
    Good link, and good read. My only issue with it is that the article repeatedly refers to it as the City's bond money which it is paying interest on that's being held in escrow [[hostage?) by the state.

It's not the city's bond money. It's money which the state is advancing to the city under specific requirements...and that is the source of all this drama.

In any case, since Chapter 9 Bankruptcy is really where all this is heading, I would like to see the Council open up a public discussion about whether or not Chapter 9 would be better, fairer, and why.

Quote Originally Posted by JVB View Post
    Detroit City Council is dysfunctional and blatantly stupid [[not all 9, but the majority), but he's got no business saying it. And that sure as hell isn't going to help the situation, so I suppose that makes him blatantly stupid for saying it.
    Lots of comments that his comments don't help... but what would help? Seems to me there's absolutely nothing this Council will do to help themselves.

So calling them out might be helpful. I don't see how it can hurt -- Council and the forces of status quo already hate the State and have called Snyder and Co. every name in the book. Liar. Evil. Corrupt. Conspiratorial. etc...

Quote Originally Posted by downtownguy View Post
    Thanks for posting the link 313WX. The Metro Times articles sums up many of the concerns I had in my earlier post. Council is not always the enemy, especially when they exercise their role of due diligence.

What I don't understand is why more people aren't questioning Bing's actions and motives.
    Some people think the law doesn't matter in an emergency.

And, these decision to shove reforms through unchecked by any means necessary can have long-term negative impacts on the city and most of its citizens.

Quote Originally Posted by corktownyuppie View Post
    Good link, and good read. My only issue with it is that the article repeatedly refers to it as the City's bond money which it is paying interest on that's being held in escrow [[hostage?) by the state.

It's not the city's bond money. It's money which the state is advancing to the city under specific requirements...and that is the source of all this drama.

In any case, since Chapter 9 Bankruptcy is really where all this is heading, I would like to see the Council open up a public discussion about whether or not Chapter 9 would be better, fairer, and why.
    Correction: It's the city's bond money [[the citizens of Detroit per the agreement will pay it back, not the state) that the state co-signed on, or guaranteed in the event Detroit can't pay it back.

For those who haven't read it, the Metro Times has a interesting article on the City Council [[from a different perspective than the MSM).

http://metrotimes.com/news/council-s...ions-1.1409005
    Better article than most.

I don't buy most of the arguments. I would if Council had a history of making informed, moral decisions. They don't. They're only acting as they are to block the moves of others.

Sure, there are arguments to be made and discussed. They are too late for that party.

One more thing... the article refers to the State of Michigan like its a foreign power coming in. Its not. We live in Michigan. Their attorney is our attorney. We're not a divorcing couple. We're married.

Correction: It's the city's bond money [[the citizens of Detroit per the agreement will pay it back, not the state) that the state co-signed on, or guaranteed in the event Detroit can't pay it back.
    Its the bondholder's money on loan -- to finance structural reforms. So get reforming and get your cash.

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post
    Its the bondholder's money on loan -- to finance structural reforms. So get reforming and get your cash.
    Bank of America loaned the money to Detroit with the state co-signing it.

Any agreements about financial reforms and the escrow account are between the city and state and has nothing to do with Bank of America.

Better article than most.

I don't buy most of the arguments. I would if Council had a history of making informed, moral decisions. They don't. They're only acting as they are to block the moves of others.

Sure, there are arguments to be made and discussed. They are too late for that party.

One more thing... the article refers to the State of Michigan like its a foreign power coming in. Its not. We live in Michigan. Their attorney is our attorney. We're not a divorcing couple. We're married.
    People are simply trying to differentiate between Detroit's level of government and Michigan's level of government in the midst of all this.

I would like to know why that bothers you so much.

Yes. It's the city's bond money that state co-signed/guaranteed. But that guarantee [[and the release of the funds) come with a price tag...the city must meet the conditions of the guarantor.

Any serious conversation about these funds can no longer refer to the state as if it is some outside entity dipping it's nose where it doesn't belong. It may be the City's money, but it's the State that gets to call the shots on when it gets released.

People are simply trying to differentiate between Detroit's level of government and Michigan's level of government in the midst of all this.

I would like to know why that bothers you so much.
    It 'bothers' me because it is destructive, not constructive. I think the ongoing balkanization serves no citizens of our State nor City.

It 'bothers' me because it is destructive, not constructive. I think the ongoing balkanization serves no citizens of our State nor City.
    I disagree.

You have two parties entered into an agreement. For all intents and purposes, they should be referred to as two seperate parties.

Detroit City Gov't has been under Coleman Young's Kleptocracy and plantation politics for over 40 years. Those folks don't want any outside help. They think they could turn the city around by themselves. They are whining to Lansing about, 'where's my 225 million dollars you owe us?'. They misuse city tax dollars for their shopping spree, borrow money that can't pay back and tell their unions to get up concessions and make rediculous cuts to most public services. They can't propose and plans and act on it. Detroiters, just get rid of them all and elect someone who cares about your neighborhood.

I'm sick and tired of their backward talk.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    Detroit City Gov't has been under Coleman Young's Kleptocracy and plantation politics for over 40 years. Those folks don't want any outside help. They think they could turn the city around by themselves. They are whining to Lansing about, 'where's my 225 million dollars you owe us?'. They misuse city tax dollars for their shopping spree, borrow money that can't pay back and tell their unions to get up concessions and make rediculous cuts to most public services. They can't propose and plans and act on it. Detroiters, just get rid of them all and elect someone who cares about your neighborhood.

If the state gave them the money, how long would it last??

I totally agree with you!!!!! Excellent choice of words!!!!

This is nothing new for Jack Brandenburg. He has made a career out of bashing Detroit, which has been discussed on this board as far back as 2006:

http://atdetroit.net/forum/messages/...tml?1152121582

And so it seems is the State Senator.

Quote Originally Posted by lpg View Post
    If the state gave them the money, how long would it last??
    one year, then they will ask for more

Maybe it would be better to alagamate the city of Detroit with the suburbs. Then a new regional supercity and change term limits for mayor and city council.

Maybe it would be better to alagamate the city of Detroit with the suburbs. Then a new regional supercity and change term limits for mayor and city council.
    Danny, look at post #11.

Ipg,

Amalgamation of Detroit and suburbs or fixing term limits in its city gov't will be treatment before the cure. Otherwise Detroit will remain a city where people can't change. The suburbs will remain independent cities where white and ethnic folks don't want change.

The madness, mayhem and murders in Detroit neighborhoods is got to stop NOW! Snyder, the Nerd is tired of it. Michigan State Legislatures are tired of it and lots of innocent people who are stuck in their own blighted Detroit ghettohoods are sick and tired of this backwards upside down city.

Antione de la Mothe Cadillac see as his founding city turned into land of mongels and thieves. He came down like fire from heaven and smite them all one by one. He wants to see his trading city of the straights prosper for 1000 years or more.

with all of the rigid parochialism in place now regionally, I don't see a merged "detroit-wayne county" along the lines of miami-dade anytime soon-- the coded racial conflicts will be among the biggest complaints

Ipg,

Amalgamation of Detroit and suburbs or fixing term limits in its city gov't will be treatment before the cure. Otherwise Detroit will remain a city where people can't change. The suburbs will remain independent cities where white and ethnic folks don't want change.

The madness, mayhem and murders in Detroit neighborhoods is got to stop NOW! Snyder, the Nerd is tired of it. Michigan State Legislatures are tired of it and lots of innocent people who are stuck in their own blighted Detroit ghettohoods are sick and tired of this backwards upside down city.

Antione de la Mothe Cadillac see as his founding city turned into land of mongels and thieves. He came down like fire from heaven and smite them all one by one. He wants to see his trading city of the straights prosper for 1000 years or more.
    But wouldn't the same thing happen in the suburbs like happened in Detroit, people who could afford to move would flee and those left behind who could not afford to be in the same situation as in Detroit now ?? Most of the inner ring suburbs are nearly broke, so what do they have to offer ?? Just askin'.
    Last edited by lpg; November-30-12 at 07:26 PM.

"Key State Senator Calls Detroit Government Dysfunctional and Blatantly Stupid"

Um......look who the fuck is talking.

Quote Originally Posted by mauser View Post
    "Key State Senator Calls Detroit Government Dysfunctional and Blatantly Stupid"

Um......look who the fuck is talking.

I'm going to have to agree with the Michigan State Senator. Even Dr. Alonzo Flemming, [[a socialogist and a 4th generation Detroit who wrote a book 'A Cure for Detroit') said that Detroit City leaders had lost their belief in themselves and for the people of Detroit. Greed, power, money and ignorance and corruption is their norm. They must be abolished, wipe out from the political system and be replaced by new leaders who would stand for the people of Detroit not for ignorance.

Detroit will NEVER change when people refuse to change for themselves. The suburbs will not assist Detroiters who going around their own ghettoes acting thug-like and even white and ethnic middle class suburban neighborhoods acting thug-like. There's too much division, racial tension, race cards that people play in the Metro-Detroit area. Crazy folks have to leave first, then you all can fix Detroit and put it back the way it was.

I'm going to have to agree with the Michigan State Senator. Even Dr. Alonzo Flemming, [[a socialogist and a 4th generation Detroit who wrote a book 'A Cure for Detroit') said that Detroit City leaders had lost their belief in themselves and for the people of Detroit. Greed, power, money and ignorance and corruption is their norm. They must be abolished, wipe out from the political system and be replaced by new leaders who would stand for the people of Detroit not for ignorance.

Detroit will NEVER change when people refuse to change for themselves. The suburbs will not assist Detroiters who going around their own ghettoes acting thug-like and even white and ethnic middle class suburban neighborhoods acting thug-like. There's too much division, racial tension, race cards that people play in the Metro-Detroit area. Crazy folks have to leave first, then you all can fix Detroit and put it back the way it was.
    This is a brutal reality that we as Detroiters need to face. There are crazies in the suburbs. There are crazies out-state. There are crazies in Detroit. But only one of those entities is on the verge of bankruptcy, and it's us.

There will be plenty of room to work with -- and listen to -- the marginalized and the oppressed....once we shut down and cutoff at the knees any crazy talk. What does that mean? It means that when a community leader explodes in anger, threatening to "burn the city down", we publicly isolate and exclude him from representing the city.

Notice, I'm not saying that he's not free to have that reaction. He is. But he needs to stop short of doing so publicly...and certainly not in a manner that aims to represent voices of the unheard. And then we need to quickly stand up and move him out of the public dialogue.

Detroiters, we need to change. It's not longer enough to point to others and point out how "crazy", "unfair", and "racist" other people are. The reality is that #1 demographic leaving the city are not racist white people, it's pragmatic, middle class black people.

Let's get our house in order. Let's elect leadership that can advocate for our best interests while having a realistic understanding of what's possible.

When someone says that home invasions "happen all the time", that's not a sign that we should start accepting it. It's a sign that we need to raise our standards as to what's acceptable.

White people are not our enemy.
    Rich people are not our enemy.
    Corporations are not our enemy.
    People who once left the city are not our enemy.

The only enemy is the clock, and with every tick of the pendulum, we are running out of money. From that perspective, clarity and motivation to work and change will be in no short supply.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast