Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Wilbert, it's mostly your first point.

They had to propose something that would go through the three central counties to even have the hope of getting GOP legislative buy-in. I think people tend to forget tha the creation of the regional transit authority doesn't mean that we build some system already drawn up on the boards. the only immediate effects of the legislation are that DDOT and SMART start to better coordinate their routes and are able to get more federal dollars for operations and capital projects as they are competing as a single entity as opposed to two seperate systems. The other immediate effect is that we get the initial $25 million from LaHood at DOT to begin the construction of the Woodward Street Car.

After that, it's anyone's guess. First, you have to do an Alternative Analysis on each route to see what kind of upgrades [[if any) are needed, and then after that you have to round up funding from the counties. Snyder's BRT plan is just that, a plan. It's not even something that's been formally studied, so passing the transit legislation doesn't mandate anything be built.

I'd bet in the next two years, we have the Woodward Street Car up and running, SEMCOG's commuter rail pulled under the umbrella of the new SEMRTA [[Southeast Michigan Regional Transit Authority) and possibly WALLY, and then a number of routes formally studied but nothing else constructed.

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...if-gop-pushes#

Sources: State House Democrats won't back major bills if GOP pushes right to work

The Michigan Senate's approval Tuesday of legislation for a regional transit authority in Southeast Michigan, reforms involving Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan, a state health insurance exchange and other major issues now moving through the lame-duck session of the state Legislature all could die in the House, sources say, as Democrats prepare to withhold support on any such legislation if Republicans try to pass a right-to-work law.
    If true, SHAME on these Dems. It would be just as shameful and disgusting as US House Republicans stalling important legislation because of the Norquist tax pledge.

If it's true that Right-to-Work is the trade-off, they can kill this, right now, because that is nowhere near a fair trade. No, not shame on Dems...the only shame would be if they'd sell out the entire middle class for some regional transit system, and I'm a HUGE proponent of the RTA.

Easy solution if you're a Dem. Vote for RTA, don't vote for RTW.

The Dems won't vote for RTW in any case, so how does not voting for an RTA affect a subsequent RTW vote?

Quote Originally Posted by Eber Brock Ward View Post
    Easy solution if you're a Dem. Vote for RTA, don't vote for RTW.

The Dems won't vote for RTW in any case, so how does not voting for an RTA affect a subsequent RTW vote?
    Especially since, at the end of the day, the only thing that this stand will accomplish is to kill the RTA. I believe the Rs have all the votes they need to pass things like the RTW with out the Ds.

It appears to me when Detroit get so close to having some decent form of transportation there is always some type of road block that get in it's way. That is why I had said that I will believe it when I see it. Everyone has to wonder why the MotorCity is having a hard time trying to get decent regional transportation for those who can't afford or don't want an automobile.

Update: http://www.freep.com/article/2012120...-forward-House

It's passed the House committee. Now onto the full House and, if successful, onto Snyder.

How "cats chasing dogs" would it be if we finally got an RTA rammed home by Republicans over Democrat objections.

Quote Originally Posted by Eber Brock Ward View Post
    Update: http://www.freep.com/article/2012120...-forward-House

It's passed the House committee. Now onto the full House and, if successful, onto Snyder.

How "cats chasing dogs" would it be if we finally got an RTA rammed home by Republicans over Democrat objections.
    I refuse to get optimistic, too much disappointment really isn't good for your health or personality.

But is it really too much to ask to name exactly who did and didn't vote to advance the legislation?

Quote Originally Posted by brizee View Post
    I refuse to get optimistic, too much disappointment really isn't good for your health or personality.

But is it really too much to ask to name exactly who did and didn't vote to advance the legislation?
    From the article: "Rep. Paul Opsommer, R-Dewitt ... voted with the rest of his fellow Republicans to move the bill to the full House"

Also from the article: "...no Democrats voted for the legislation"

So click on this link -- http://www.house.mi.gov/MHRPublic/Co...aspx?comkey=23 -- and anyone there on the list on the right that is an "R" voted for it, and anyone there that is a "D" voted against it.

Quote Originally Posted by BigD View Post
    This is how it's gonna die?

On an issue completely unrelated to it?

They knew what they were doing with this, waiting almost an entire year.

I am going to be sick.

After all the building up of hope.

This is how history repeats itself.

Time to wave the white flag.

I am completely unable to understand the Democrats reasoning. Either RTW will pass without their votes, or it won't. How they think not passing other stuff, even stuff they support, is going to change that dynamic is not comprehensible to me.

Quote Originally Posted by BigD View Post
    From that article:

"The state Senate approved the regional transit authority last week, and Sen. Bert Johnson [[D-Detroit) said today he believes the legislation will find enough Republican support in the House to survive right to work-fueled opposition from his Democratic colleagues."

I really hope so.

I fail to see what this has to do with Right to Work. I am extremely opposed to RTW but do not see how this is related. Is there some add on in the bill they are not telling us about ot what?

Quote Originally Posted by brizee View Post
    This is how it's gonna die?

On an issue completely unrelated to it?

They knew what they were doing with this, waiting almost an entire year.

I am going to be sick.
    This is how negotiations work. All sides threaten to back out and hold everything hostage. Is this dead?

Not by a long shot. The GOP were the ones who brought it to the floor.

I'll tell you what. Given a choice between having to pull the Tea Party out to dance vs. bringing the Dems to the floor, I'll take the latter any day.

CONTACT YOUR MICHIGAN HOUSE REP NOW. LEAVE A VOICEMAIL IF YOU HAVE TO. Website is http://www.housedems.com - RTA and RTW are two different things. They can support one without supporting the other.

And Contact House Democratic Leader Richard E Hammell [[regardless of where your district is) and urge support for House Bill 909 regardless of how the Right to Work bill ends up.

Mailing Address
    P.O. Box 30014
    Lansing, MI 48909-7514
    Phone: [[517) 373-7557
    Fax: [[517) 373-5953
    Toll-Free
    [[888) 347-8048
    Email
    richardhammel@house.mi.gov

This is how negotiations work. All sides threaten to back out and hold everything hostage.

No, this is how negotiations involving stupid people work. The only way this could possibly work is if:

1) The Republicans needed Democratic votes to pass the RTA.
    2) The Republicans needed Democratic votes to pass RTW.
    3) The Republicans wanted the RTA more than RTW.

I don't think any of the above are true, but they would all have to be true for this alleged strategy to make sense. This is more like the scene from Blazing Saddles where Cleavon Little takes himself hostage and threatens to shoot himself if the townspeople don't drop the weapons they have pointed at him.

[[warning--N-word is used multiple times. Relevant part starts at about 2:00)

Quote Originally Posted by mwilbert View Post

No, this is how negotiations involving stupid people work. The only way this could possibly work is if:

I don't think any of the above are true, but they would all have to be true for this alleged strategy to make sense. This is more like the scene from Blazing Saddles where Cleavon Little takes himself hostage and threatens to shoot himself if the townspeople don't drop the weapons they have pointed at him.

Agreed.

This is bullshit.

Who asked for RTW?

And the Democrats are really just gonna shit on us because of this?

I know I should be used to this. It's Chinatown, but...

This is fucking BULLSHIT.

Quote Originally Posted by mwilbert View Post

lolz. well yes. Call up the reps and tell them how stupid they're being

Quote Originally Posted by gumby View Post
    I fail to see what this has to do with Right to Work. I am extremely opposed to RTW but do not see how this is related. Is there some add on in the bill they are not telling us about ot what?
    The RTW is not a rider on RTA, it's apparently some political strategy on the part of the Democrats to be obstructionists to all things Republican. Call your Rep

http://www.facebook.com/groups/LightRailNow/

Quote Originally Posted by corktownyuppie View Post
    And Contact House Democratic Leader Richard E Hammell [[regardless of where your district is) and urge support for House Bill 909 regardless of how the Right to Work bill ends up.

Mailing Address
    P.O. Box 30014
    Lansing, MI 48909-7514
    Phone: [[517) 373-7557
    Fax: [[517) 373-5953
    Toll-Free
    [[888) 347-8048
    Email
    richardhammel@house.mi.gov

Done. Thanks!

Today is the day. If the GOP is stupid enough to pull the trigger on RTW, this state's already dysfunctional politics will descend into hellfire until the 2014 gubernatorial elections. Except recalls and complete dropping of already flimsy cooperation in the body.

I'm not going to blame the Dems on this. The GOP takes the last month of the session to insert some hyper-partisan and hyper-divisive bull no one but their corporate overlords have been angling for endangering whatever little spirit of compromise was left in the government. Rick needs to come out and say he'll veto this or sign this, but he can't even keep his own crazies in check.

Ridiculous. If Bolger isn't taken down by the grand jury, you better believe his immature ass is getting recalled for this stunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Dexlin View Post
    I'm not going to blame the Dems on this.
    You're not? Your elected officials are holding hostage a critical piece of legislation that could literally set the lynchpin for transit-oriented development in SE Michigan over the next thirty years.

RTW is not a knee-jerk reaction; in fact, polls show that it has more support in Michigan than several of the ballot initiatives we voted on in November. Dems blocking this effort is purely, utterly political in nature, and despite my own left-leaning tendencies, I shake my clenched fist at them.

It's like saying "I don't blame Iranian revolutionaries for storming the US Embassy and holding them hostage for 444 days. It's that damn Shah causing all this mess!!"

You know what they say about two wrongs....
    Last edited by michimoby; December-06-12 at 07:41 AM.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast