Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default So the car insurance companies just do whatever the hell they want to?

Second straight across the board increase because....why?
    Name:  aaa_current_0001.jpg
Views: 13959
Size:  49.6 KBName:  aaa_renew_0001.jpg
Views: 8052
Size:  51.2 KB

And they don't even have the decency to offer a feeble explanation.

Brizee.... now I can understand why some fly-by-night car insurance companies sell short term policies... a lot of Detroiters order their insurance for a short duration... then go to the Secretary of State to renew their license. Then the insurance expires... and then they're good for a year [[as long as they don't get pulled over).... they just can't afford to pay it for the long haul. Detroit police are stretched so thin that they rarely pull people over for traffic violations or missing/nonfunctioning auto lights.

I just noticed that the Secretary of State office on Harper & Little Mack in SCS has an auto insurance company 2 businesses over that states in their window... "7 Day Auto Insurance"...

Are you saying this only is happening in Detroit?

Shollin Guest

Didn't I hear not to long ago insurance in Michigan was going up? Mine has gone up as well.

Brizee, come to Florida if you want insurance sticker shock. You ain't paying much at all.

Time to repeal no fault!! The only winners with no fault are the insurance companies.

GUSHI Guest

Mine just went up 110.00$ for 6 months, in the burbs w State Farm.

Its not the no fault, its the MCCA and wreckless govt oversight. The agency that enforces insurance has no teeth. MCCA is going way up due to all of the jugheads riding around without helmets sustaining life like brain injuries. Very dumb move by the legislature to pass this.

They need to figure out a way to deal with people who buy 7 day insurance and cancel it. We all pay so those can get a free ride.

One suggestion. You should look into coordinating your PIP if you have health insurance from some other source. You may be getting double covered there. It does not surprise me that is costs a lot to insure a Dodge Challenger. It is an aggressive driver's car and one that thieves like to steal.
    Last edited by DetroitPlanner; November-20-12 at 08:47 PM.

Shollin Guest

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    Its not the no fault, its the MCCA and wreckless govt oversight. The agency that enforces insurance has no teeth. MCCA is going way up due to all of the jugheads riding around without helmets sustaining life like brain injuries. Very dumb move by the legislature to pass this.

They need to figure out a way to deal with people who buy 7 day insurance and cancel it. We all pay so those can get a free ride.

One suggestion. You should look into coordinating your PIP if you have health insurance from some other source. You may be getting double covered there. Just curious, what is the year and model?
    It's a 2010 Dodge Challenger. Not exactly a cheap car to insure.

I have AAA I get a big discount due to insuring my houses and having good credit on my policy. You might want to look into that.

9mile&seneca Guest

The state of Alabama did not require auto insurance up until about 10 years ago. I don't know how it went for the citizenry. I did not live there. Hard for the G to be in cahoots with a nonexistant industry.

I've long given up on big name insurance in the city. I go with the lesser brand names that don't have big commercials on TV. Still it is INSANE. Keeps me out of buying a new car! THE COMBO CAR NOTE AND HIGH INSURANCE IS IMPOSSIBLE! Comprehensive and a car note can run well over $600+ a month in the city!

I had an 18 yo brag to me that she brought the 30 day insurance 'hustle' from a 'store front' joint for $250. The desk seat-warmer on the other side of the bullet-proof that sold her the insurance didn't EVEN attempt to conceal that the 'paper' was just for the girl to get her plates n' tags.

It was made clear that this is 'what you do'... Nuts... let the games begin... I mean 'continue'!
    Last edited by Zacha341; November-21-12 at 06:39 AM.

A woman I know who regularly bought "shitshurance" got pulled over on 8mile by hazel park po's, and they actually called the insurer's number on the back of the slip. A ticket and a court date promptly followed. She currently is not in possession of a license, and won't be for at least the next two years.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    I have AAA I get a big discount due to insuring my houses and having good credit on my policy. You might want to look into that.

One of my family members works for AAA, and they concur with you.

Insurance companies are all hacks. Don't ever put me on a jury in a trial dealing with someone committing insurance fraud. Automatically Not Guilty in my eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by brotherzeus View Post
    Are you saying this only is happening in Detroit?
    No... what I'm saying is that the folks that can least afford the insurance [[most Detroiters) are charged twice as much....

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    No... what I'm saying is that the folks that can least afford the insurance [[most Detroiters) are charged twice as much....
    High premiums in places like Detroit mean that many residents drive without insurance. If you are an insurer you will recognize that insuring somebody who lives and drives in a place where so many people don't have insurance is a high risk. So that means higher premiums, which causes even more people to drive without insurance that they can't afford. It spirals out of control.

The Governor signed that law repealing the helmet law in a hurry , but it seems like he's sitting on his hands regarding different levels of the no fault insurance . What chaps my ass is the insurance industry sets the rate we pay every year into that [[bulging) catastrophic fund , and not the State . Too much trust going on with that . Michigan is on the top of the list with seat belt complience . I'd like to see the different levels , plus someone from the State [[auditor) look at the funds books [[incomming and outgoing money ) on a yearly basis to see if rate increases or if the greedy batsurds are using us as their private bank roll .

Yeah, it makes sense that the police will start to call the insurances to verify the pay-and-go 'paperwork'! Which equals a bad day for that driver!

Quote Originally Posted by detroitsgwenivere View Post
    A woman I know who regularly bought "shitshurance" got pulled over on 8mile by hazel park po's, and they actually called the insurer's number on the back of the slip. A ticket and a court date promptly followed. She currently is not in possession of a license, and won't be for at least the next two years.

I'm retired, drive a 10 year old car, no comp or collision, and also have the HO with the same company and my insurance also went up, now I'm shopping around, but from what I've read on this blog, it probably won't matter very much. Just pay and shut up. Insurance poor.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Duh, people that can least afford the insurance have a disproportionate share of the losses.

Quote Originally Posted by GUSHI View Post
    Mine just went up 110.00$ for 6 months, in the burbs w State Farm.
    As did mine $126 for 6 months in Dbn with Progressive. I have 3 vehicles insured, with the newest being a 2009 Sebring. The one thing I don't like about Progressive is you have to carry the same coverage for any & all vehicles you insure with them. My other 2 vehicle are paid off, but I have to carry full coverage on them also because it's required on my Sebring as part of the car loan.

CBS News [[July 30, 2012) Michigan most expensive auto insurance:

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/business/2012/07/michigan-most-expensive-for-car-insurance/

Name:  abc_car_wreck_jp_111205_wmain.jpg
Views: 4204
Size:  58.0 KB

Quote Originally Posted by p69rrh51 View Post
    Time to repeal no fault!! The only winners with no fault are the insurance companies.
    It's not no-fault thats the problem. Its the UNLIMITED medical that Michigan mandates. Set a limit on the medical benefits and the rates will stablilze. The largest contributor to rate increases continues to be medical costs and loss rates for the area. More crime in the area will equal higher rates every single time.

Incidentally, some of the rate increase that the OP speaks of is actually state mandated fees [[MCCA, which is again related to the medical portion of the insurance)

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    Yeah, it makes sense that the police will start to call the insurances to verify the pay-and-go 'paperwork'! Which equals a bad day for that driver!
    I work in the insurance industry and can tell you - we receive calls from the Police and the Sec. of State on a daily basis to confirm insurance coverage.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast