Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: FBI Raids DPL

I've heard about the nepotism, from some of the library employees I went to school with who would bitch about how people who couldn't handle tying their own effin shoes would get administrative positions, but had no prior library or administrative experience.

But I've been using the Burton and the Skillman for years and can't think of one time I've had a problem or complaint.

At the risk of sounding like I might be "justifying" unprofessional behavior [[), I often wonder if some people encountering folks of another culture perceive their tone or accord as something else entirely. Like someone who is busy, seeming needlessly abrupt. Or a person who speaks in a loud voice being mistaken as angry. Being a person who grew up in a suburban community, and then spending the greater part of my life amongst urban folks, I do see a difference in the way people communicate with each other in these different cultures. Some say that perception is truth, but after spending so much time here, I do feel confident that I can usually tell the difference between someone who just sounds like they're being aggressive, and someone who really is just a year-round *sshole.

Of course that doesn't explain the person who flatly refuses to do the job that we are paying them to do. Like assist us when we politely ask for it. No explanations there.

If this investigation ends with us getting better service while saving money and getting rid of cronies, than it will be worth it.
    Last edited by detroitsgwenivere; November-21-12 at 12:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Det_ard View Post
    Detroit - a city so badass that even the librarians are under federal investigation.
    In fairness to librarians, I think it's the non-librarian administrators under investigation here. I don't think Tim Cromer has an MLIS.

Does anyone know if Tim Cromer is related to John Cromer, the "activist"?

Quote Originally Posted by detroitsgwenivere View Post
    At the risk of sounding like I might be "justifying" unprofessional behavior [[), I often wonder if some people encountering folks of another culture perceive their tone or accord as something else entirely. Like someone who is busy, seeming needlessly abrupt. Or a person who speaks in a loud voice being mistaken as angry. Being a person who grew up in a suburban community, and then spending the greater part of my life amongst urban folks, I do see a difference in the way people communicate with each other in these different cultures. Some say that perception is truth, but after spending so much time here, I do feel confident that I can usually tell the difference between someone who just sounds like they're being aggressive, and someone who really is just a year-round *sshole.
    Or maybe some of the people who complain about the service they get are rude as hell to begin with and deserve what they get? You know: tense, easily offended, in a hurry, impatient, primed to be angry, demanding, brittle, etc. It's a public building staffed with public employees. What did you expect?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2