Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: FBI Raids DPL

Default FBI Raids DPL

Happening now.

"Agents spent much of their time in the offices of Tim Cromer, chief administrative officer. He has been the focus of several controversies over spending.

The focus of the FBI raid was unclear Tuesday, but library union leader Todd Kelly called it a "sad day."

"The workers, we have our act together. It's the others that have to catch up — the administration" said Kelly, president of AFSCME Local 1259.

"Mishap and confusion usually comes from upstairs."

FBI spokesman Simon Shaykhet declined comment. So did library director Jo Anne Mondowney, who arrived about 10:15 p.m.

The library is set to open to patrons at noon Tuesday. Commissioners are set to have their regular meeting at 1:30 p.m.

The raid follows money problems that forced the system to close two branches and lay off 80 of 364 staffers — and persistent questions about spending. In a series last year, The Detroit News exposed allegations of misspending, mismanagement and nepotism.

Among other purchases that were questioned, the library bought 20 lounge chairs for $1,100 apiece at a time it was cutting staff.

At one point last year, officials considered closing 18 of 23 branches until The News reported they were basing their cuts on faulty revenue estimates.

Numerous contracts also have been called into question, as well as hiring practices, The News has reported."

From The Detroit News:
    http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...text|FRONTPAGE

Finally, you could see this coming for some time

Quote Originally Posted by noise View Post
    The Detroit News exposed allegations of misspending, mismanagement and nepotism.

Numerous contracts also have been called into question, as well as hiring practices, The News has reported."

From The Detroit News:
    http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...text|FRONTPAGE
    I have to say the employees at the DPL are outrageous. I've dealt with different levels and forms of city government but none have I encountered more rude than the library employees, to the point of them being verbally abusive to patrons. Sorry, AFSCME, DPL is corrupt from top to bottom. There is no doubt in my mind that those employees have no other qualifications than being related to people.

The administration at the DPL certainly seems guilty of wasteful spending and poor financial practices at the very least.

Regarding the employees, I am at my local DPL branch a few times per month and I have found the employees to be professional, helpful, and courteous. They respond quickly to requests for assistance, and show patience in dealing with the library patrons who don't follow the simple rules of conduct that are in place.

I've never had a problem with a library employee.

It's kind of absurd to paint every DPL employee with such a broad brush. It's a large system. There are lots of employees, the vast majority of which you haven't had a single interaction.

Quote Originally Posted by noise View Post
    It's kind of absurd to paint every DPL employee with such a broad brush. It's a large system. There are lots of employees, the vast majority of which you haven't had a single interaction.
    I agree most of the employees are very helpful, but there are that handful who are as bad or worse than Poobert's description.

Looks like the investigation centers around contracts. No surprise there given the expensive rehabs. More details at http://wp.me/p2BK9P-SS

Quote Originally Posted by p69rrh51 View Post
    I agree most of the employees are very helpful, but there are that handful who are as bad or worse than Poobert's description.
    I wouldn't doubt that for a second.

I'm with ya, Sam. I've spent a good deal of time at the main library, researching in both the periodical archives and Burton. Every employee has been great, one even got excited over one of my projects and went well beyond the call of duty.

Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post
    I'm with ya, Sam. I've spent a good deal of time at the main library, researching in both the periodical archives and Burton. Every employee has been great, one even got excited over one of my projects and went well beyond the call of duty.
    I should have been more specific. I've had great experience with the Burton staff. Most of the libarians have been good too [[most - I've definitely had some bizarre encounters there too). The problem is the Cass circulation desk. In the hundreds of times I have been to the library I can't think of one pleasant or even normal experience with them. Maybe I need to go a few hundred more times but it's bad - really bad. I have no doubt since that position doesn't require any advanced skill they stack it full of relatives who can't work elsewhere.

Gotcha.

So as long as you don't actually take anything OUT of the library, you should be fine.

Curious.

That one fella down in the Burton from Windsor is my favorite, by far.

He should get an award or three. I wish I could remember his name...

Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post
    That one fella down in the Burton from Windsor is my favorite, by far.

He should get an award or three. I wish I could remember his name...
    I know who you are describing. He is a pleasant sort but can be very indifferent at times too. Many times I ask him for help and I usually get a look like I am ruining his day.

So the DPL is being investigated by the FBI over faulty contracts and misspending?

And they are going to be stopping by City Hall when exactly?

Quote Originally Posted by neavling View Post
    More details at http://wp.me/p2BK9P-SS
    Ain't no way I'm clicking on some goofy looking URL like that without some information as to what it is. Try and explain your links a bit better.

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    Ain't no way I'm clicking on some goofy looking URL like that without some information as to what it is. Try and explain your links a bit better.
    It's the motor city muck raker site. My computer didn't explode.

Poo...you have never lied!! I complained to supposedly the head person in charge at the Main Library regarding the employees and also how inept they seem to be i.e. you return you book or books and the library still has it checked out!

must be why he wasn't answering my calls. I need me some work

I've always had pretty good help at the Burton Collection. A number of former LIS classmates from Wayne State worked and/or interned there along with several of my instructors. They always seemed attentive...

Hopefully they weren't cooking the books.

<groan>

Detroit - a city so badass that even the librarians are under federal investigation.

Quote Originally Posted by Det_ard View Post
    Detroit - a city so badass that even the librarians are under federal investigation.
    DPL employees were so Shhhhhhhh about the whole thing, who would've known?
    Last edited by Honky Tonk; November-20-12 at 11:35 PM.

Nor did mine but I am on a Mac ----! How does the site relate to this topic? I just clicked, glanced and closed it....

Quote Originally Posted by old guy View Post
    It's the motor city muck raker site. My computer didn't explode.

Oh wait, here's the specific link:

http://motorcitymuckraker.com/2012/1...ruption-probe/

LOL! Yeah, we have it that way... Corruption eva-where!

Quote Originally Posted by Det_ard View Post

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast