Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Red Barns

There was one further south on Gratiot, almost right on my corner. North of Gunston, and just north of Wilfred/Bradford. I can't remember what the next cross street was, I want to say Flanders, but I'm not sure. I remember going there after school in high school. There was a Burger King right next door, but we were too intimidated to go there because that's were all the 'cool' kids hung out. Sheesh, we were such dweebs back then.

Wonderland Mall had one too, near Federal's

Flying J:

The Lum's in Bellevue Nebraska has the classic Lum's look, and sign-
    but they have their own menu and a 'buffet' special- no beer steamed hot dogs. The owners say that when the Lum's chain imploded, they just never bothered to change the name or sign.

The Bay City Howard Johnson's restaurant did the same thing, ran a buffet special and their own menu since only a dozen HoJos were left in the US. [[Only 3 now, and the Bay City HoJo closed about 3-4 years ago.)

Mikem posted this in a previous thread about restaurants in the old forum.

http://atdetroit.net/forum/messages/...tml?1235367035

Loved going to the Red Barn by the zoo on Woodward as a kid!

I don,t have any memory of going to the Westland Red Barn which was closer to my house, I remember the Wonderland location. I belive a bank is in that spot.

I remember stopping off at the Red Barn on Woodward and Temple after Pistons games at Cobo, to claim the promotional prizes they'd give if the Pistons scored over 100, or just for the discount on the back of the ticket. More than once we ran into a transvestite there who would change into and out of several pretty threadbare outfits in the dining room while giving a rather unhinged running commentary in a high-pitched voice.

Ahhh, the joys of growing up in the city.

Neat, if you look at Google maps street view for 31800 Gratiot in Roseville, there is an Arby's and the roof looks just like a barn.

Red Barn. Haven't heard that name in ages. I loved that place as a kid. I remember going to the one on Jos Campau in Hamtramck. Later, it closed and eventually became the Campau Chicken Pantry. I don't know what's there now.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxine1958 View Post
    There was one further south on Gratiot, almost right on my corner. North of Gunston, and just north of Wilfred/Bradford. I can't remember what the next cross street was, I want to say Flanders, but I'm not sure. I remember going there after school in high school. There was a Burger King right next door, but we were too intimidated to go there because that's were all the 'cool' kids hung out. Sheesh, we were such dweebs back then.
    After the football game [[De La Salle) we used to go there! But then again that was before they built the Burger King so didn't have that "cool kid" thing going on!

The first Red Barn I can remember was on Mound Rd, just north of 9 mile. My mother liked going there because they would "take the onions off" the burger. She couldn't eat onions and McDonald's wouldn't oblige her. We use to play on Derby Hill and then eat at the Red Barn's before going home. Also stopped there on the way home from Farwell Field, I played hockey there when Detroit had their Parks & Rec Hockey league running.

My dad used to bring home burgers from the 9 and Harper location all the time. Liked their burgers much better than McDonald's. When did they go under? My memory has failed me.

Quote Originally Posted by PurpleHeart View Post
    After the football game [[De La Salle) we used to go there! But then again that was before they built the Burger King so didn't have that "cool kid" thing going on!

The first Red Barn I can remember was on Mound Rd, just north of 9 mile. My mother liked going there because they would "take the onions off" the burger. She couldn't eat onions and McDonald's wouldn't oblige her. We use to play on Derby Hill and then eat at the Red Barn's before going home. Also stopped there on the way home from Farwell Field, I played hockey there when Detroit had their Parks & Rec Hockey league running.
    Since you went to De La Salle, I'm wondering if you remember the drug store on the corner of Conner and Gratiot? My parents owned the store. I had a thread on here asking if anyone remembered it. They took the whole block - 15 to 20 businesses and offices - and made it a RiteAid.

Quote Originally Posted by sarge View Post
    Loved going to the Red Barn by the zoo on Woodward as a kid!
    Wasn't there one where I-696 is now near the Zoo? Or was that a Jack in the Box?

Quote Originally Posted by reddog289 View Post
    As for the Taylor location I belive that became the Red Baron arcade, which has now been redone to something else.
    Correct RD. It was red. And looked like a barn. Red Barn served up hamburgers, french fries, and Coca Colas. You could boogy there before hitting the Jolly Roger and have one fine day and evening. It was become a Red Baron arcade, yet still retained the Red Barn look. Telegraph Rd., down in the City of Taylor, there was not much down there in those days. Now, everything is there. Everything.

You know for not having too many memories of the RedBarn I can spot them if I'd seen them. I saw alot of the 8& Lasher location, mostly in its later days. As for the Red Baron we would hit that place while lookin for chicks on The Graph always pointed out though it was a RedBarn.

Fort Street in Southgate, right next to the also defunct Ponderosa.

Strikes me that there was one at Woodward and Lafayette, by the zoo. It closed before the fact, but it probably got burried when I-696 was built.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Frey View Post
    Fort Street in Southgate, right next to the also defunct Ponderosa.
    Wyandotte, actually. Ponderosa is now Camino Real Mexican Grill.

Groesbeck and 14, it's now a DQ. There used to be a Lums up the road at Groesbeck and Kelly.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2