Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

"Packard Proving Grounds? Weren't we talking about Jewish Deli's?"

Yes, but what can it hurt?

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    "Packard Proving Grounds? Weren't we talking about Jewish Deli's?"

Yes, but what can it hurt?
    Out of respect to the OP our replies should be related to the question that was asked about Jewish Deli's.

Quote Originally Posted by MidTownMs View Post
    Out of respect to the OP our replies should be related to the question that was asked about Jewish Deli's.
    Agreed. I apologized in a previous post for wandering off the subject, and I apologize again.

Uncle Harry's Deli is good. On 8 1/2 & Mack.

Quote Originally Posted by MidTownMs View Post
    Its not DYes without a little thread hijacking! Although I posted the images because Poobert had stated that there was nothing interesting at 23 and Van Dyke.
    Last edited by p69rrh51; November-06-12 at 11:02 AM.

Lou's Deli [[Good for the Belly)---There's a few locations in Northwest Detroit, may I suggest the Corned Beef on an Onion Roll with Coleslaw and Swiss Cheese.

The first time I went to Lou's I knew it would be good because there was a guy on the sign who looked like my [[jewish) Uncle Morty.

Also Hygrades is solid...defiently more classic than Lou's.

Breadbasket on Woodward south of 7 mile is the shiznit. Sandwiches stacked so high you can't see over em.

My fraternal grandparents built their house on Wlatham and 6 Mile in 1932. We ate at the Little Cafe for every special occasion and on many weekends. My grandmother also pickled her own kraut as well as a variety of other veggies from their garden. I remember well the potato pancakes she made on her old Liberty stove in the basement during the summer months. Since her passing I have searched high and low for a potato pancake that tasted the same. Dakota Inn is the only place I found that matched hers. I know opinions vary, but this has been my experience for what it's worth.

I also wanted to add this question in regard to the Jewish Delis: I saw a documentary on Detroit Local Access several years ago about a Jewish family named Sossin who operated delis on the west side for many years. I believe it was produced by Mort Krim's company. Has anyone ever seen this or know what it was called? I've been trying to track down a copy for a while now. Thanks!

I love Kosher delis, and I loved the side-trip to the Packard Proving Grounds. Those photos deserve a thread of their own..

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitdave View Post
    Thank everyone for all the good ideas .I knew that the Jewish community moved north and west in the city and beyond , so I had an idea that oak park
    [[ 10 mile area) and Southfield, and even Bloomfield .
    Keep in mind that Oak Park and Southfield are no longer the centers of Jewish life in Metro Detroit.

They were from about 1970-1990 or so, but almost all non-Orthodox Jews moved further out, mostly to West Bloomfield or Bloomfield Township. Farmington Hills, Franklin, Beverly Hills and Commerce Township also have some. Birmingham has more than most people think, but remains more WASP.

Nowadays, there is still a visible Jewish community around 10 mile/Greenfield and extending a bit north and west, but, again, is almost 100% Orthodox. The Jewish "Main Street" of Metro Detroit is Orchard Lake Road, probably centering around Maple [[15 Mile).

Orchard Lake is where you will find the biggest Jewish presence [[Delis, Synogagues, Judaica shops, etc.)

With the discussion on here I had to go to Uncle Harry's for lunch. I picked up a menu for those who are interested, nice to know they have not raised their prices since 2009.
    Attached Images Attached Images        

The Hygrade Deli may have a Jewish heritage but these days it exists as more of a diner. Any visitor expecting an LA or NY deli experience will be disappointed. That said, the food there is still pretty damn good [[including the corned beef and pastrami). And it is a very cool time capsule of a place. A definite thumbs up.

Yes, back to the Deli's! If you are going to Oak Park, the original Bread Basket is still doing the old Jewish deli thing on Greenfield north of Lincoln. There is now a chain of Bread Baskets that have good deli food, too, in various locations in the metro area.

LOL funny how that happens :-)

Hygrade Deli,priced right,good food.Do a pastrami,swiss and coleslaw on an onion roll.Tell them Alan from the carlot sent you.Stu will probably say,"so what",and give you a great sandwich.

Hygrade is great...but I long for a downtown joint that I can buy chopped chicken liver and matzo balls [[with or without the soup) and noodle kugel. The Star Deli on 12 MI just west of Telegraph and Zingermans in Ann Arbor have been the favorites. BTW, if you call Zingermans and give them a phone order they will run it out to your car when you arrive as parking is almost impossible. Maybe someone will do something in the new Z building...remember it was the site of the old long lost Broadway Market at E. Grand River and Broadway.

GUSHI Guest

Any good ones in macomb county

Quote Originally Posted by GUSHI View Post
    Any good ones in macomb county
    I guess St. Clair Shores is not part of Macomb County?

GUSHI Guest

It is but 2 far from me, not worth the drive, also a lot of the deli you guys are mentioning or not even Jewish owned anymore,

I've encouraged Mike Colo to try the restaurant business again, but he would usually throw a few choice words my way. The reality is he wants no part of that business at all these days. He would certainly have less competition today in terms of German restaurants.

Quote Originally Posted by p69rrh51 View Post
    Being of German decent I do know what food of fatherland should taste like! Were you ever able to go to the Little Cafe now there was place that did bavarian cuisine properly! The last time I ate at the DI my wife and I both had to send back our meals the german potato salad did not even look like it had a potato in it the main course for both of us was STONE cold. When we did get meals back I almost puked the meat was pretty much rancid! I have never had such LOUSY food anywhere in the metropolitan area!
    So to answer your question YES I do know what I am talking about.

Star Deli 12 mile and Telegraph...Is the best on I can thik of in Metro Detroit...The Very Best...Whaler

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    Keep in mind that Oak Park and Southfield are no longer the centers of Jewish life in Metro Detroit.

They were from about 1970-1990 or so, but almost all non-Orthodox Jews moved further out, mostly to West Bloomfield or Bloomfield Township. Farmington Hills, Franklin, Beverly Hills and Commerce Township also have some. Birmingham has more than most people think, but remains more WASP.

Nowadays, there is still a visible Jewish community around 10 mile/Greenfield and extending a bit north and west, but, again, is almost 100% Orthodox. The Jewish "Main Street" of Metro Detroit is Orchard Lake Road, probably centering around Maple [[15 Mile).

Orchard Lake is where you will find the biggest Jewish presence [[Delis, Synogagues, Judaica shops, etc.)
    Thanks bham I didn't know about orchard lake road or maple and 15 mile road ,that's good to know .
    Also @p69rrh51 That menu is Awesome ! thanks for posting ! Just looking at that menu makes me hungry !
    I used to love swinging by the all night delis after the bars closed, but these will be great to check out .

Quote Originally Posted by luckycar View Post
    Hygrade Deli,priced right,good food.Do a pastrami,swiss and coleslaw on an onion roll.Tell them Alan from the carlot sent you.Stu will probably say,"so what",and give you a great sandwich.
    The Very BEST Jewish owned and operated Deli in the D

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Hygra...i/283987688145

Hygrades is great.

i eat there anytime work sends me to our Detroit location.

Lily

Quote Originally Posted by Krawlspace View Post
    My fraternal grandparents built their house on Wlatham and 6 Mile in 1932.
    What's a "fraternal" grandparent?

More to the topic, Uncle Harry's is very good.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast