Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

$31,000,000 means nothing to Matty.

Let’s put things in perspective. Since he has a net worth of $1.5 Billion, then $31.0 Million is 2.07% of his net worth.

Let’s compare. Say you make $50,000 per year, at 2.07% that equals to $1,035 – about equal to one month’s rent.

This is chump change for him – plus he probably likes the game.

"Matty does his own inspections, and no federal or state inspectors are allowed on the bridge."

WTF? Is this clown his own country or what. Somehow there has got to be an end to this madness.

Yep, and he also carries explosive and hazzardous cargo across that bridge. It is supposed to only go over via the ferry, but Matty has his trucks carry the dangerous stuff.

matty has been trying to get the Detroit Ferry out of biz for decades. He was even able to have a law passed that prohibited bikes being carried by the ferry.

Quote Originally Posted by Packman41 View Post
    $31,000,000 means nothing to Matty.

Let’s put things in perspective. Since he has a net worth of $1.5 Billion, then $31.0 Million is 2.07% of his net worth.

Let’s compare. Say you make $50,000 per year, at 2.07% that equals to $1,035 – about equal to one month’s rent.

This is chump change for him – plus he probably likes the game.
    Amen. Add to that revenues over $100 million a year and his lock on duty free and it is chump change for him. If he wants revenge, start a price war when the new bridge opens.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    Amen. Add to that revenues over $100 million a year and his lock on duty free and it is chump change for him. If he wants revenge, start a price war when the new bridge opens.
    That's fine, and I'm sure he'll get casual travelers and maybe a few truckers. To commercial truckers, which I understand are a big part of the bottleneck, time is money. Logistics companies aren't going to have those guys sitting around for a couple of hours, to save even $5 in tolls.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    That's fine, and I'm sure he'll get casual travelers and maybe a few truckers. To commercial truckers, which I understand are a big part of the bottleneck, time is money. Logistics companies aren't going to have those guys sitting around for a couple of hours, to save even $5 in tolls.
    Or sitting through 15 traffic lights on Huron Church Road, which is the real issue, and the reason the Canadians are willing to spend all the loonies in the Yukon to get this done.

If Matty were really the brilliant mother fucker he thinks he is, he would have tackled that problem years ago, building some kind of connector with the 401. Instead he was content to rest on his laurels and now try to bribe and lie and cheat to keep his sucky-ass route a monopoly.

Let's not forget that the big bottlenecks are NOT trucks, but customs...

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    I don't understand what business or legal grounds there are justifying Moroun starting a lawsuite? Public safety? Historic salt mines? I'm sure the Canadians and the Nerd did research before all this was announced. The bridge is going to be some serious construction. This isn't a couple of guys sitting on the banks playing with Legos.
    The ability to sue over 1,000 of issues is an unintended consequence of our blind devotion to regulation to solve all ills. Yes, we need regulation -- but we also need to get 'stuff' done, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Let's not forget that the big bottlenecks are NOT trucks, but customs...
    If we're smart here, we'll switch the customs around, with Canada Customs in the states and US Customs in Canada BEFORE you get on the bridge. [[Before you say it can't be done -- know that US Customs is already in many Canadian airports screening visitors to the US before boarding.) This will move the lines from off the transportation resource and onto the ground. Much more sensible -- not to mention the advantage of being able to look for bad guys BEFORE they are on the bridge.

I don't know if this was posted, but it's great: http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/we...idge-to-canada

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5