Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by poobert View Post
    That's probably true. I'm also fairly certain the Maroun family feels they owe nothing to the rest of the population or this country, rather, that we are here for their personal exploitation and profiteering if they can muster it. Maroun has a foul-mouther little m-f'er of a son/heir who thinks its cute to be rude to newspaper reporters. Whatever legacy associated with them appears to be confined to their hermit-like dynasty. Turning inward and harboring total disregard for anyone besides your kin seems to happen pretty often when you get families with untold wealth and power- look at the Kims, the Husseins, the Assads.

The Marouns are ghastly, evil, uncharitable monsters. I'd like to think they learned that democracy cannot simply be bought and sold but they never appear to learn anything because of their own hubris. I hope they get everything they deserve.
    Agree with much of your statement....except that last part. They are not stupid. I'm sure what they learned is don't put something like this on the ballot in a Presidential year with a popular D president in a heavily D state. I would bet serious money that 5 & 6 would have won in a 2010 tea party type wave year.

They'll be back with this stuff again. They'll be back and they'll bring it when they can win. Until then, the DRIC or NITC or whatever...will be tied up in Maroun funded litigation.

Like the Kims, Qudaffis, Husseins and Assads, it'll only stop whey they're dead.

Snyder is wasting no time in getting the bridge construction started. Actually, considering what a "proactive business man" he's supposed to be, I'm surprised he didn't have all the paperwork completed already just waiting for a date stamp on it.

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20121107/METRO05/211070389/Snyder-working-getting-permits-new-bridge?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|FRONTPAGE

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    At some level of decorum, defending absurdities might seem sophisticated. This is in the realm of The Emporer's New Clothes.Corporations are not people. Money is not speech. How much more simply and truthfully can that be stated?
    We all know they're not REALLY people. They don't get to vote after all. But they should be able to spend whatever money they want on elections. Unions aren't people either are they.

We all know money isn't speech. But limiting speech by limiting money is a fools errand. Sounds good on paper. Doesn't really work. The landslide against Moroun's ballot initiative tells me a lot. You can speak as much as you want -- but people consider the source and motivation, and make good decisions. Our job should solely be to make campaign financing 100% transparent. No PACs. Let everyone [[including corporation and unions) make unlimited contributions -- with clear public record that they did so.

Quote Originally Posted by Downriviera View Post
    I wonder what will happen when Manny is gone. Will his son be an ogre as well? Maybe not. Maybe everything changes and the Maroun's become a civic minded family. Reminds me a little of the situation in Chicago with billionaire Bill Wirtz. He owned the Chicago Black Hawks hockey team and the fans hated him. They called him Dollar Bill because he wouldn't show home games on TV and let all the best players leave. When he died his son took over and everything changed for the better.
    Honestly, based on what I've read and heard from son Matthew, he seems to be just as bad if not worse than his father.

Matthew Moroun Speaks out Against a New Bridge: Leave Crossings to the Private Sector, Son of Ambassador Bridge Owner Urges

Quote Originally Posted by Phizzy View Post
    Honestly, based on what I've read and heard from son Matthew, he seems to be just as bad if not worse than his father.

Matthew Moroun Speaks out Against a New Bridge: Leave Crossings to the Private Sector, Son of Ambassador Bridge Owner Urges
    In addition to democracy, good looks apparently are also not for sale.

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    Forgive me, but the public hearing is about should Matty be allowed to build a second span.
    Wait, what? I thought Moroun said a new bridge wasn't needed?

Quote Originally Posted by Phizzy View Post
    Wait, what? I thought Moroun said a new bridge wasn't needed?
    He did. He just meant that Snyder's bridge wasn't needed. He still wants to build one into the heart of Windsor......Where Canada has said no way......

I wonder how the new roof and windows are coming along on the MCS now that this proposal has died

Quote Originally Posted by lpg View Post
    In the end he will just go back to filing endless lawsuits and delaying the process as long as possible. And his paid for politicos in Lansing will help.
    Will his lawsuits end up in front of the Michigan Supreme Court? Didn't he dump big $$ into Markman and friends campaign coffers? Well Canada and Michigan may not get another bridge for a long time, but then neither will he and jr.

"If the governmental proposal doesn't collapse from the weight of legal and legislative scrutiny, the unstable salt mine foundations the NIT will present some serious obstacles which should call the entire project into question," Blashfield said in the statement.

From The Detroit News: http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...#ixzz2Baqmllky
    That's the first I've heard that the salt mines are an issue in building the new bridge. I'm guessing it's just another smoke screen from Moroun, but does anybody have any insight into this? Do salt mines create any additional challenges to building a structure like the new bridge?

Time for the government to play a little hard ball right back.

Can you say, federal inspectors combing every inch of the Ambassador looking for the slightest problems?

Lower the tolls on the tunnel & Blue Water Bridge.

Is that gum? Close the bridge until it is properly removed from the pavement.
    Last edited by jtf1972; November-07-12 at 11:55 PM.

Tell us how you really feel brizee? Do you use such language when out in public amongst strangers? The internet is not very different really....but of course there are those who suffer from keyboard bravado syndrome.

Quote Originally Posted by downtownguy View Post
    That's the first I've heard that the salt mines are an issue in building the new bridge. I'm guessing it's just another smoke screen from Moroun, but does anybody have any insight into this? Do salt mines create any additional challenges to building a structure like the new bridge?
    Those salt mines have been in operation for centuries, and given that the DRIC/NITC site was mostly locked in around 2005, I figured that we would have heard something by now if it were a big issue.

The mines are situated about 1,000 feet below ground, and I highly doubt this span is going to need support structures that breach near that depth.

Quote Originally Posted by michimoby View Post
    Those salt mines have been in operation for centuries, and given that the DRIC/NITC site was mostly locked in around 2005, I figured that we would have heard something by now if it were a big issue.

The mines are situated about 1,000 feet below ground, and I highly doubt this span is going to need support structures that breach near that depth.
    I don't understand what business or legal grounds there are justifying Moroun starting a lawsuite? Public safety? Historic salt mines? I'm sure the Canadians and the Nerd did research before all this was announced. The bridge is going to be some serious construction. This isn't a couple of guys sitting on the banks playing with Legos.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    I don't understand what business or legal grounds there are justifying Moroun starting a lawsuite? Public safety? Historic salt mines? I'm sure the Canadians and the Nerd did research before all this was announced. The bridge is going to be some serious construction. This isn't a couple of guys sitting on the banks playing with Legos.
    Exactly. I reckon it's just a smokescreen...or shall we say, a saltscreen?

Maroun is being interview on channel 2 I believe it was tonight at 10

Quote Originally Posted by Wingnatic View Post
    Maroun is being interview on channel 2 I believe it was tonight at 10
    Where in Detroit can one get a good creme pie?

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Where in Detroit can one get a good creme pie?
    I don't doubt that Astoria would be more than happy to oblige.

I'd pay money to see channel 2's Rob Wolchek [[Hall Of Shame) and Charlie LeDuff tag team him in an interview lol

Quote Originally Posted by Wingnatic View Post
    I'd pay money to see channel 2's Rob Wolchek [[Hall Of Shame) and Charlie LeDuff tag team him in an interview lol
    He would just sue them too !

LeDuff did a piece on Matty when Charlie first arrived at The News. It was kind of a puff-piece and lacked his telltale snark.

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    LeDuff did a piece on Matty when Charlie first arrived at The News. It was kind of a puff-piece and lacked his telltale snark.
    LeDuff had a chance to tear into Matty Jr recently on Let er Rip and basically just sat there frustrated. You could tell he was told hands off and Jr got off easy with no tough questions. I expect more of the same tonight. Does Maroun own the local media as well?

Quote Originally Posted by jtf1972 View Post
    Time for the government to play a little hard ball right back.

Can you say, federal inspectors combing every inch of the Ambassador looking for the slightest problems?

Lower the tolls on the tunnel & Blue Water Bridge.

Is that gum? Close the bridge until it is properly removed from the pavement.

I agree with this. He doesn't want to admit he lost. MATTY...... THE PEOPLE VOTED - YOU LOSE.

But no, he thinks he is above the law, like so many other rich and powerful businessmen of today. Now what Matty is doing is downright anti-productive. I think everybody knows what a new bridge would mean to our area.

It is time for the State to throw some heat over the plate. Let's see if Matty will play ball.

Salt mines are indeed a factor in locating the new bridge, but not the excavated rock-salt mines that most readers know about. The problem is mineral extraction from brine wells, which was done at various places downriver in the last century. Pumping mineral-rich brine out leaves voids underground at unpredictable and unknown locations. In 1954, part of the Windsor riverbank subsided due to collapsing underground voids. Don't bother looking for a big hole; it's not enough to be seen. It's between the police station and the Windsor Salt Company on the Company's property between the road and the riverbank. Most of the money that was spent on the new bridge so far was for many dozens of test holes to determine where these subsurface voids might be. The new bridge location has been established to be safe. This work was all done before Matty Moroun paid the Michigan legislature to prohibit expenditures for the project.
    I don't think brine mining is done near Detroit anymore. Brine is what made H.H.Dow rich in Midland in the 19th Century.

I believe, our favorite former Congressional Representative, KwameMommie, was key in having the dIBC declared a federal instrumentality. This status was further established in a couple of court proceedings, not the least was in Matty suing both the Canadian and US governments.

the upshot: Matty does his own inspections, and no federal or state inspectors are allowed on the bridge.

i believe Curt Guyette at the Metro Times has written at length about this rather arcane bit of Mattyness.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast