Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Yeah I went to the website and noticed that it will be a pop up shop, but I believe with somerset and now moosejaw testing the waters this is a good sign .
    I think this shows to the people of Detroit " this can be done in your own city too , you don't have to go to Chicago, NYC or even a mall in the burbs".
    It's just figuring out how to do it and make it work and stick .
    Either way I'll be there on Friday showing my support !

Those pictures make it look just beautiful, lights, big windows, decorations. A few more pop-ups along the row and Woodward will look like a real shopping destination.
    Love the idea!

Here is the official press reslease. http://citylivingdetroit.com/blog/ou...ref_map=%5B%5D

I'm glad that Moosejaw is coming to Woodward Business Corridor. I check that store out and its nice. Pack with clothing and other novelties. This would be a first start of exotic retail in Downtown Detroit.

Shollin Guest

Until this thread I had never heard of MooseJaw. For some reason I thought this was going to be about ice cream.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    Someday Moosejaw won't either. Most retail outlets have a relatively short life-span. In that business, you grow or die. If you grow to fast you will die anyways.
    The difference, though, is that Moosejaw has a heavily-thriving online channel that accounts for a larger chunk of their sales than their brick-and-mortar channel. If anything, their shops serve as a 3D advertisement to draw sales toward their online presence.

Most retail shops that fail do so because they fail to diversify their channels. MJ is already on the right track.

Spoke with someone from Bedrock this weekend and he said they plan to have popup shops all down Merchant's Row for the holidays. They are hoping to convince these shops to move permanently if they're successful during that time. Looking to drive a lot of foot traffic in the area with events and things in the Cadillac/Campus Martius areas.

Moosejaw is decent for Patagonia products, which are hard to find in Michigan.

went by this morning and they were putting the sign up on the facade. Not just a banner either, looked like it will be the standard lettering to me. Will definitely have to hit up the grand opening sometime tomorrow.

I think most of us are "pop up" shoppers, if it's there, we shop, if it isn't, we don't.

looks like it must be open, just saw this on twitter:
    Name:  A6otglBCMAAPBZs.jpg
Views: 669
Size:  40.2 KB

Important to move discretionary/gift spending from online and malls to downtown this year. And squawk about how they should remain open.

If I were this particular retailer, however, I would locate between Mack and Warren. There are more likely purchasers, i.e. people who used to live near [[and quite possibly patronize) their other shops in GP, southern Oakland there. Relatedly: if Woodward Light Rail was under construction I bet you five bucks this would not be a 'pop up.'

Quote Originally Posted by Mackinaw View Post
    If I were this particular retailer, however, I would locate between Mack and Warren. There are more likely purchasers, i.e. people who used to live near [[and quite possibly patronize) their other shops in GP, southern Oakland there. Relatedly: if Woodward Light Rail was under construction I bet you five bucks this would not be a 'pop up.'
    I would take that $5 bet.

Why would a weekend-only, Holday pop-up apparel retailer open on Mack or Warren? I'm not sure I could find a worse location. Maybe River Rouge or something?

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post

Why would a weekend-only, Holday pop-up apparel retailer open on Mack or Warren? I'm not sure I could find a worse location. Maybe River Rouge or something?
    Wayne State.

Mackinaw said BETWEEN Mack and Warren, i.e. on Woodward in the WSU area where there is a lot of foot traffic.

Quote Originally Posted by drjeff View Post
    Mackinaw said BETWEEN Mack and Warren, i.e. on Woodward in the WSU area where there is a lot of foot traffic.
    He said "between Mack and Warren" to be "close to Grosse Pointe". So I thought East Side, of course. Wayne State is nowhere near Grosse Pointe.

But why would a weekend pop-up do well near Wayne State? Wayne is a commuter school, and the campus and surroundings are pretty empty on weekends. I'm at the DPL main library quite often on Saturdays and it's super quiet. You park for free right in the half-empty library lot.

But why would a weekend pop-up do well near Wayne State? Wayne is a commuter school, and the campus and surroundings are pretty empty on weekends. I'm at the DPL main library quite often on Saturdays and it's super quiet. You park for free right in the half-empty library lot.
    Because you can't throw a handful of rice on any college campus in the country without hitting 50 kids wearing North Face jackets.

I would love to see a "Lids" store somewhere downtown. Maybe on Merchants Row or in the Penobscot or First National Building. I love that Moose Jaw will be in that location until the 22nd of December. Maybe more pop up stores would come downtown between now and Christmas.

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    I would love to see a "Lids" store somewhere downtown. Maybe on Merchants Row or in the Penobscot or First National Building. I love that Moose Jaw will be in that location until the 22nd of December. Maybe more pop up stores would come downtown between now and Christmas.
    Footlocker, Express Men and/or Urban Outfitter's...will love that. I will definitely go shopping downtown ever chance I get. These are some of my basic clothing store retailers, also with some other mix of local and national stores. I like mixed options..

I was a past frequent flyer at Moose Jaw in my younger years, I was always very satisfied with my dealings.
    While I will not deride ANY business to open anywhere in Detroit, I just can't see them having any degree of success downtown. Hope I'm wrong but...

They need to target the folks that patronize the ice skating rink at Campus Martius. Underdressed to ice skate in the cold? Got your Patagonia gear right down the block. I might even give away a few hot chocolates to get some ice skaters through the door. Of course the concessions at Campus Martius probably wouldn't like that too much...

Quote Originally Posted by mikefmich View Post
    While I will not deride ANY business to open anywhere in Detroit, I just can't see them having any degree of success downtown. Hope I'm wrong but...
    ...care to explain why you don't expect them to be successful?

The store opens at noon today. Beer is available after 4.

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    Get your lid at Henry's or the Tiger Store.

Quote Originally Posted by michimoby View Post
    ...care to explain why you don't expect them to be successful?
    Do I really need to explain that?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast