Quote Originally Posted by poobert View Post
Yes. And auto mechanic or any trade for that matter is indeed a skill to rival that of a secondary education. However many of the jobs that were lost around these parts weren't really skilled at all.

What is a shame is that, perhaps I am wrong, but the writing was really on the wall for decades. The boom/bust cycle of the auto industry, the competition from Japan, the near death of Chrysler in the early 80's should have been the signal to the region to about face and change course. Diversify the economy and get the population educated.

Instead we as a region clung to - and still cling to - this idea that the auto industry and manufacturing is our bread and butter. It has been disasterous. What I do think is also problematic is that education is viewed almost entirely as a means to an end. I was lucky that I had a family that instilled in me the belief that education in and of itself is valuable and makes you a better person, rather than just might help you get a better job. I also think our region would simply be a better place is we thought that way.

Degrees don't have to be expensive either, if you're saavy about it. I went to Wayne State, a great, working-class school and have very little debt, which will be gone soon. As a result I was able to get a good job and a great education. Hell, if I did the first two years at community college I'd probably have no debt. Think education is expensive? Try ignorance.
Great post.