Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Shollin Guest

Quote Originally Posted by gthomas View Post
    What I like about all these huge retail/commercial developments is JOBSSSS!!!!! Thousands will be working within a year! That's GREAT NEWS to me.
    Just what we need. More part time, minimum wage, service industry jobs.

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    [INDENT]Speaking of 7 mile and Gratiot, when did the Montgomery Wards store closed it's doors? Was it in the middle to late 90s?
    The Ward,s corner dept. store builing on Gratiot Ave. between E. 7 Mile Rd and Lappin was closed in the mid 1980s. It was vacant for a number of years until Shopper's World took over and it closed in late 1990s and building was demolished along with few others in the 2000s.

Quote Originally Posted by Shollin View Post
    There's also the shopping center at 8 Mile and Schoenherr that is mostly vacant, however that is in Warren. Used to have a Farmer Jack, Rite Aid, Blockbuster, Frank's Nusery, Theater, Art Van, and Al Long Ford. Only thing left last I checked was Art Van.
    Yep.

a Carolina Furniture Outlet
    Quote Originally Posted by Shollin View Post
    There's also the shopping center at 8 Mile and Schoenherr that is mostly vacant, however that is in Warren. Used to have a Farmer Jack, Rite Aid, Blockbuster, Frank's Nusery, Theater, Art Van, and Al Long Ford. Only thing left last I checked was Art Van.
    Yep, and Murray's Auto Parts.

I believe the theatre briefly became a Carolina Furniture Outlet before being demolished [[vacant lot next to Frank's)

Shollin Guest

I forgot about Murray's. There used to be an Autoworks right on the corner of 8 and Schoenherr. I think it's a Hot Wheel City now.

I hope they have a well thought out security plan!

http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/story/19...rth-of-jewelry

The have begun constructing the Meijer and it appears one other store [[walls are now going up for both). They are making very good progress on the whole project.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheels View Post
    I hope they have a well thought out security plan!

http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/story/19...rth-of-jewelry
    There's $34,000 worth of jewelry at Kmart?

GUSHI Guest

I didn't think you could use a bridge card for Jewelry

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...-doors-july-25# Get ready for your One Stop Shopping.

I am still waiting to hear that a Wal Mart or Target will open in the Jefferson Village strip mall where Farmer Jacks once were. How about an announcement that City Target is opening in the former Kresge building or inside New Center One

How much business do you suppose Gateway Shopping Center will siphon off of the Model T Plaza and the strip mall right across Woodward from it in Highland Park? I hate the suburban look of those places - why couldn't they have built the stores right on Woodward with the parking hidden in the back? - but these seem like rare urban retail successes around here. They've got to be at close to full occupancy. Will that change with the new kid down the block?

Quote Originally Posted by KJ5 View Post
    How much business do you suppose Gateway Shopping Center will siphon off of the Model T Plaza and the strip mall right across Woodward from it in Highland Park? I hate the suburban look of those places - why couldn't they have built the stores right on Woodward with the parking hidden in the back? - but these seem like rare urban retail successes around here. They've got to be at close to full occupancy. Will that change with the new kid down the block?
    No doubt some people will move some of their shopping to the new place, but Model T Plaza is pretty far south; I wouldn't think it would be a huge effect, and probably mostly on bus riders--if you had a car and wanted to shop someplace else presumably you already could.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2